2003 Acura RSX

Available in 2 styles:  2003 Acura RSX 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

Very Sporty RSX

by DK from Portland, OR | August 22, 2014

I had my 2003 RSX for a little over a year and I really enjoyed owning the car. Pros: very fun to drive. Took curves really well and had great acceleration for a 4 cyl automatic. I liked how the car looked and even when I purchased it in 2012, it still looked like a new design. The interior looks cool and the seats are very contoured. Cons: not very comfortable on long trips. It's a sports car so it was quite a bumpy ride. Interior panels and parts would rattle frequently. I ended up trading my car in because I learned that my transmission was on it's way out. I know that Honda/Acura had transmission issues during this time period so I wasn't surprised. I was sad to see it go as it was one of the most fun cars I've had. Unfortunately, the new car I purchased, a 2014 Focus, has turned out to be a disappointment.

Great car!

by Nurse Nice the Acura Fan from Northern CA | June 8, 2014

I have had the -2003 RSX-S for many years, nothing other than regular maintenance (and of course tires and brakes and a new battery) has been needed.My previous car, an Acura Integra was the same, and when it came time to replace, I was lucky to find this one, used but metIculously maintained. Every time I get an oil change or go to the dealer, the fellows there give me their cards and tell me to contact them should I ever want to sell it. The back seat is for smaller folks ONLY- yes- is the only real drawback, but since this is a commute car for me (and jaunts with just one other person), not an issue for me. Its a great car, has lots of nice features like a sunroof and cruise control for longer drives. Check the Specs- it is fully “loaded”. The only real drawback may be that it is high on the great to steal list- which just occurred to me. Acck., Gratefully, it as found intact.. I do appreciate it all the more now! I have been told by those in the know- that 500K may be a mileage to shoot for! wowza!

Great Value

by Meir from Chicago, IL | March 4, 2014

Mechanically speaking, this car is amazing. I have owned it for over 4 years now and the only thing I have had to do is replace the break pads. I bought this car with 40k miles on it, and four years later im at 85k miles. Engine feels like it has another 85k miles in it, easily. Handles great in dry weather, gets awesome gas mileage, and it doesnt look like it is an 11 year old car. But, I have to say, this car is terrible in the snow. I live in chicago, and was unable to use the car for almost 2 weeks this winter simply because I had absolutely no tractions. And I do not have cheap tyres either (almost 400 bucks for a set of 4), I cant state the name of the brand, but regardless. That being said, there is nothing else wrong with the car. I am actually selling it to a friend of mine, and upgrading to a 2011 Wrangler Rubicon.

Three's the charm!

by Doug from Bear, DE | December 15, 2013

As of yesterday I have now purchased THREE cars from this very customer-focused dealership. In my 40-plus years of driving and buying cars, I have never found a dealership so willing to do whatever it takes to put you behind the wheel of a quality used car. Christine and her staff are honest and dedicated to making the transactions trouble-free, just like the vehicles they sell. I recommend them wholeheartedly and would expect them to be my first and last place to shop in the future!

Best of the best.

by DC5 Lover from Chicago, IL | December 10, 2010

Honestly, I would have given every category a 5-star review but then people think " oh they didn't even think about it " but I honestly can't find anything wrong with this car. I've driven my fair share of cars and cars are my passion. Even though I have an automatic, the 0-60 is still better than most other 4 cylinders. The handling is incredible, I can take a 90 turn at 25mph and the tires feel glued to the ground, and thanks to the sport seats, you won't slide off like in many other cars. Even though you sit very low, comfort isn't an issue, I've driven 300 miles to michigan and back, never felt cramped or uncomfortable. Honda didn't break suit with this one, this car is 8 model years old, never once been into a shop for anything besides routine maintenance. While everyone has different likes and dislikes, it's hard to find anything about the car to call ugly, but the aftermarket has shown much love for the surprisingly durable engine and body of this car, so even if you find something about it you just can't stand, rest assured there's a spectrum of companies producing an alternative. I've searched far and wide for something better, but I really can't find anything even close. When looking around at cars in the same price range, it was clear that none were quite as respectable as this one, the car just looks nice. When released, it cost just under $20k, fresh off the lot, no miles, even though it looked like a $30k car, this car holds its value better than almost any car on the road, 8 years and 70k miles later, the car is worth from $10-11k. Just for perspective, my father has a Ford Expedition from the same year and it has similar milage, he paid $34k for it, it's value now sits at around $9k. Though the tank may be small, the range is decent because I average at 27 mpg, and premium isn't even required! This car really has it all.

Amazingly Fun Sport Compact!

by Jay Jay from Kansas City, KS | June 30, 2010

I've owned my 03 Type-S for over 6 years now I plan on owning it easily for another 6 years. Mine has been tastefully upgraded with the full A-Spec body kit and Mugen Sport Suspension (1.4" drop). It looks and handles like it should have straight from the factory. It is an absolute blast to drive and it still runs like it did when I bought it at 13K miles. My Type-S only has 54K (city) miles on it as i write this. The only issue I have ever had with this car is a clicking noise from the clutch master cylinder (easily remedied by just greasing the pushrod). I do all of my own maintainence on this car and it is a breeze to work on. This is not a quiet car. It has it's fair share of rattles and the cabin is fairly noisy. It's also not a comfortable car for long road trips. The leather seats are hard and don't offer much support.

Awesome Car

by Caos2100 from Rahway,NJ | May 23, 2010

I just recently upgraded to the 03' RSX from a 96' integra. I loved my integra but the RSX is an amazing thing of beauty. Its interior is design to spoil the senses: from its beautiful lines and textures, to its extremely comfortable seats, even the way the interior is lit at night.

Great Car!

by RSX type-S Lvr from Blackstone, VA | September 5, 2009

This car has 162000 miles on it and the only money I've put into it is general maintenance--and 4 or so sets of tires. It is by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. Even though it's 7 model years old (I've had it 6) I still enjoy driving it. It generally gets 33-35 mpg (I have a long commute). It still gets admiring looks and positive comments from other people. Oh, and it's fun to drive.

Lotsa fun.

by Original owner from Blackstone, VA | December 23, 2008

I'm not a car geek but I really enjoy this car. It now has almost 143,000 miles on it and has required one brake job (last summer) and only routine maintenance. I hope to have it another 143,000 miles. It's too bad they don't make it any more!

Fun factor

by LLMax from New Jersey | September 2, 2008

I bought my 03 Acura RSX Type S in December of 2006. I have owned it for about a year and a half now, and I really love it. I decided I really wanted one of these when I drove a friend's S2000. A few reviews of the type S compared its driving dynamics to the S2000 and I must say that its almost as fun to drive. I haven't driven the base RSX, but the type S if very fun to drive. It should be apparent from its shape and size that the back seat can be pretty cramped for rear passengers if they are above a certain height, but a smaller car also has some advantages. For example, you can fit into smaller parking spaces much easier. The gearbox is very good, and it shifts just about as quick as you hand can move it. After learning how to quickly shift this six-speed, I understood why they call it a short "throw" shifter. You pretty much just slap, or throw the shifter from one gear to the other. This adds to the fun that the engine already provides. The cams change at 2 different RPMs. Under 3000 rpms, there is very little power and you can probably ride a bike faster up a hill than drive when under 3000 rpms. But after 3000 rpms, you get little upgrade (burst) in accelleration. The major fun begins after the tach hits the 6000 rmp marker. The cams change again at 6000 and the burst of speed you get between 6000 and 8000 is one of the most important reasons to own the type S. The handling is pretty good, excellent if you are comparing with other front drive vehicles, but even the best front drive vehicles don't have the great turning dynamics of many rear and awd cars. Oversteer is the only missing ingredient, but this car is still loads of fun.

Featured Services for this Acura RSX