2004 Acura TSX

Est. MPG

21 city / 29 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best Sports Sedan in class for the money!!!

by Mickey H. from Green Bay, Wisconsin | February 26, 2014

Bought the 6 speed manual. Slick shifting transmission, very easy clutch travel and engagement points. Honda makes the best Manual transmissions hands down! Quick rev happy engine! Bullet proof K24A1 tuned for mid range torque and high output at top end! It is a blast to drive. VTEC kicks in hard when you down shift, and the car takes off like a bat! This car is simply a pleasure to drive, and handles like a RWD with practically no under-steer. The chassis is stiff, and the suspension is tuned greatly, makes the car feel planted at all times. Steering feel and response is right on! Everything about the car speaks of precision, and if you're obsessive compulsive and very detail oriented, you will be more than satisfied! The Cons: Year specific for this model, the engine does burn oil. HOWEVER, previous owner switched to AMSOIL signature 5W30, and it burns not a single drop! So it's more or less the quality of the oil that is the factor! Front Control Arms was going bad, and had to replace them. As well as the rear sway bar links. However, that's to be expected for a car of this age. It still handles like it's on rails, and drives like a new car after 175k miles! I honestly don't think you can find a better car for the money any where else! Those Japanese know what they're doing! Which by the way everything on the car is made and assembled in JAPAN! Quality control is >100% over there! The RPM stays at a lofty 3k RPM in 6th gear on the highway but that's to be expected of a close ratio transmission on a 4 banger. Gas mileage is still the best in class at 24 MPG city/ 30 HWY, and as a matter of fact, 3-4k RPM is the sweet spot on this car for balance of speed and power as well as efficiency. The engine is very well balanced, and silky smooth throughout the rev range, you can keep the engine revs high and you won't even notice it. This engine loves high revs! Torque is great and more than sufficient for this car, you can feel the butt dyno still register as high up as 5th gear! Whereas on other cars would require a downshift! Recommendations: Switch the OEM tires for a more stickier tires, and get a lighter set of wheels. You can thank me later when the car feels even quicker/better! Hondata/KPRO ECU reflash will make the car's VTEC engagement lower at a more usable 5k RPM. Nope that's not the sound of a turbo spooling under the hood. It's the sound of air being rapidly compressed and sucked in through the intake as it opens up to max capacity at that point, all the way to 7.3K RPM! KPRO will keep the power band in VTEC after an upshift, dramatically improving acceleration. Mind you, the car was quick enough already before, so hold on to your seats! Sounds really nice on the highway too! For the money, performance, handling, luxury amenities, reliability, and overall build quality of parts and craftsmanship/design. This is the best car anyone can buy for the money! Overall really happy with purchase! No regrets!

Best car I've Owned

by Luxuriously Fast from Dallas, TX | January 31, 2014

I'm not sure what happened to the guy with issues after 50k, but I guess not even Honda can make every car perfect. I however, have had no problems. We did have the lock actuator issue, but that was covered under warranty, and then we had a seat belt sensor issue, covered by manufacturer. Other than that, no issues, and best car I've owned. I have had several brands: Cadillac, Chevy, BMW, Audi, VW, and Honda/Acura. Of all the vehicles I've owned, my honds/acuras have been my favorite and most reliable. The only ones to come close is the Audi and BMW. This TSX, however, tops them all. I would recommend this car to anyone. Love it.

Great for the first 50K miles then a headache

by Madflava76 from Fairfax, VA | January 3, 2014

My 04 TSX was a great car for the first 50K miles. But quickly after that many problems started to arise and it's not normal wear and tear but design failures to the car. First the auto door locks for the front and passenger doors stopped working. The door acuators both went bad. Then, the back lighting for the radio and Navi went out. It was a computer board that went bad. Then the clutch master cylinder started to make this awful squeek and click noise. Finally, the a noise when shifting into first gear is diagnosed to be the clutch throwout bearing going bad. I use to love Honda/Acura cars. They are the only cars I've ever drove, but the long term reliability of my TSX has changed my opinion. I'm sinking thousands of dollars into my TSX so that I can drive it safely. I expected more from Acura but I'm sad to say this will be my last Honda made vehicle.

Good Car

by Ved23 from Toronto, Ontario | December 8, 2013

Black with beige leather 5 speed automatic. Bought this car with about 118,000 miles 2 years ago. I was the second owner i have about 164,663 miles on it now. Overall it is a beautiful car, nice leather and wood trims in the inside. Car still gives good performance. Only problem i have faced was the passenger door actuator dying on me and also the center stereo console back light just stopped working. Besides the electrical the motor and drive is still very good.

Great all around car

by Travis from Portland, OR | June 28, 2013

Purchased my 2004 TSX in 2009 with 99k miles. Drove it everyday until it had 183k and was unfortunately rear ended by some kid in 2013 and my car was totaled out. Now having to find a replacement car, I am having trouble finding ANYTHING even remotely comparable to this car. During my time owning the car, the only component failure was the power steering pump and even then, it was only slowly starting to have an issue. Otherwise very, very reliable car, never broke down once. Many troublesome/expensive components are rated for the life of the car (timing chain, fuel filter/screen, transmission filter/screen, etc). Spark plugs are rated for 120k miles, only had to do them once. Performance is pretty good for a 4-cylinder Acura. It does not have an insane amount of torque and is a little slow in city driving but has a lot of pickup on the freeway. In typical Honda fashion, its best when wound out, though still much more torque than smaller Honda engines. The automatic was smooth and quick shifting. Never had a problem with the transmission although my car did have a little bit of whine from the torque converter at purchase time and continued at the same level throughout owning the car. Was also slightly annoying to drive in low speed situations, like parking lots. Handling is great beside a little bit of body roll. Steering feels nice although it was not quite as nice as the Audi I test drove before it. The car has noticeable under steer although still fun to drive down windy country roads. Ride can be a little choppy at times but still does well against European competitors. Was virtually always quiet and smooth. Test drove the TL of the same generation and was no more impressed with it than the TSX. Fuel economy was great. Under harsh driving conditions, I would never go under 24 MPG in town. Overall I averaged 27-28 MPG with 20% heavy traffic, 50% regular city drive, and 30% highway and was often much higher when I was driving right. Consistently got 40 MPG on freeway when driving flat at 60 MPH. Interior is one of the best I have ever encountered. The front seats are a little stiffer than wanted and leather not the greatest to the touch but otherwise fantastic interior. I always enjoyed spending time in the car. Factory stereo and navigation were definitely above average. Plenty of room for four adults. Definitely get the black if possible, like any car I guess. Exterior styling is a hit or miss. Some people love it, some people, meh. I personally loved it and was into the TSX when they first came out. I would go for Black or Silver if given the option, although my grey looked great in certain lighting conditions. 2006 and up has the much better skirts and bumpers. This car combines the best of all worlds better than any car I have encountered and I may just end up buying another one, although the prices have continued to remain high.

Great commuter

by Randyp63 from South Carolina | June 11, 2012

I purchased the TSX used, I drive over 1000 miles a week a I did not want to wear out a new car. Anyway, the tsx has been averaging around 37 mpg on the highway, it is definitely nicely equipped and handles well. My only gripe about a Honda/Acura product is the lack of torque, somewhat lethargic acceleration, but to be fair, I have owned some fairly powerful performance cars. Overall, a great buy.

7 years & still the most reliable car!!1

by Acurarocks from East Amherst, NY | October 14, 2011

The Acura 2004 TSX was the very first NEW car I ever owned. I had a company car for years & always wanted an Acura. I went to the dealer with the intentions to buy the TL but fell in love with the TSX! I've have now owned it for 7 years.....complete with navigations system and rear spoiler....it's a HOT car! I have 94,000 miles on it and it runs like it's brand new! I love, love, love this car! Thank you Acura for one of the best cars on the road! I've always felt safe, secure & love the ride!!!

No real problems yet

by Hubris from Denver | April 16, 2011

Purchased this Acura seven months ago, it had 78,000 miles on it then. I've added 6,000 and the only real problem is that the rotors had to be replaced, this may come up more than normal with this year of the TSX. Otherwise it is fun to drive, the turbo 4 provides a lot of punch and the car corners well with good tires. And it's solid throughout. It does take premium gas, which should be considered if you drive a lot of miles. But it's the best little car I've owned, I'd buy a newer one if this one were totaled.

MOST STYLISH, FUN, SAFE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED

by car lover from CALIFORNIA | April 1, 2011

WE BOUGHT OUR 2004 TSX NEW AND HAVE RECEIVED SO MANY ADMIRING LOOKS AND COMPLIMENTS! IT DRIVES ALMOST INTUITIVELY WHILE MAKING YOU FEEL IN CONTROL. THE DETAILS INSIDE COMPARE WITH THE LEXUS AND BMW WE USED TO OWN. I KNOW THIS CAR IS A KEEPER!

best kept secret

by max from boston, ma | March 26, 2011

for the money, nothing touches it in terms of performance, luxury, fuel economy, and styling. amazing car.

Featured Services for this Acura TSX