The five-seat Audi A3 is a premium hatchback that competes with models like the Volvo C30. Front- and all-wheel-drive versions of the A3 are available in the 2.0T (gas) trim level. A 2.0 TDI diesel model comes only with front-wheel drive.
New for 2012
There are no significant changes for 2012.
The A3's single-frame tapered grille dominates the front end. The profile gets flatter toward the rear, like a coupe. Round wheel arches enhance the A3's stance. Exterior features include:
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels
- Optional 18-inch alloy wheels
- Dual exhaust outlets and wraparound taillights
- Optional bi-xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights with LED daytime running lamps
- Chrome accents
A low seating position couples with a tall, wide center console. The steering wheel is wrapped in leather on all models. Round air vents have aluminum surrounds, and there's aluminum trim on the door and glove box handles. Wide-opening rear doors are intended to ease entry and exit. The available Open Sky two-section glass sunroof includes separate shades for each section. Interior features include:
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control
- Standard leather seating surfaces
- Standard satellite radio and MP3 jack
- Optional power driver's seat
- Optional Bluetooth connectivity
- Optional wood trim
Under the Hood
Audi's turbocharged 2.0-liter gas four-cylinder produces 200 horsepower and 207 pounds-feet of torque. Front-drive gas models can have a six-speed manual gearbox or the S tronic six-speed dual-clutch automatic with a manual-shift mode. The all-wheel-drive gas-engine A3 comes only with the automatic.
The turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel four-cylinder that powers 2.0 TDI models makes 140 hp and 236 pounds-feet of torque and comes only with the dual-clutch automatic and front-wheel drive. Mechanical features include:
- Electromechanical steering offers speed-dependent power assistance
- Standard hill-hold assist helps control vehicle on steep grades
- Optional sport suspension
Rear-seat side-impact airbags are optional. Standard safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Active front head restraints
- Electronic stability system
- Antilock disc brakes
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2012 Audi A3.
Asking Price Range