1999 Audi A4

1999 Audi A4

Available in 4 styles:  A4 4dr Sedan 2.8 shown

Overall

Great car for a great price!

by Audi Lover from Arriba, CO | November 7, 2011

I LOVE my '99 A4 Quattro manual! It is a tight, high-quality vehicle that gets good economy, and I was able to purchase it VERY reasonably as a used car. It did have higher miles, but because it starts out as a high-quality German car, the auto seems like it only has 1/2 the miles it actually does. The V6 is problem-free, the all wheel drive is awesome in slick conditions, and it by far is the best value I could receive for the little amount of money I paid for the car. I am planning on buying and driving another when this one someday wears out. It may take a while though, as I am at 200k and it drives like a 60k car!

Driving made Fun

by A4 Enthusiast from Puyallup, WA | April 18, 2011

The A4 has exceeded all my expectations. I can't believe how much fun driving can be. I traded in a 4x4 SUV for the A4, and was surprised at how well it handled the elements and all weather conditions, as well as how it handles the curves and bends in the road. Should have gotten one years ago! Once again, I look for reasons to drive. I'm hooked on the A4!

Really Nice Car

by Bob from Hartford, CT | November 19, 2010

Purchased this car a few months ago with 80,000 miles on it. So far it's been great. It's got the 2.8 V6 in it with their AWD system and a 5 speed manual. Great traction in wet weather, no wheelspin at all while accelerating. On dry pavement it handles like a sports car. Haven't had a chance to test it out in the snow yet. Could use a bit more power, but what car couldn't? The engine runs smoothly and revs easily. The clutch has a high engagement point, but a friend of mine told me that most of the Audi's are like that. I average 25 mpg with mostly highway driving at close to 75mph. Premium fuel is recommended, but I usually use 89 octane and haven't noticed a difference between that and premium. So far it's been very reliable, but I it needs a new thermostat, as the water temperature never makes it up past the 1/4 mark. Might as well change the water pump and the timing belt at the same time. Parts alone when purchased online are about $250, so it's going to be expensive at any repair shop. The exterior styling is pretty bland, the newer ones look much better to me, but the '99's are a bargain if you can find one with low mileage.

Great car, trust me its great

by Audi should be the only cars on the road... from Duluth, MN | June 11, 2010

Ok so i got my 1999 2.8 with 116000 miles on it from someone thats lives down the road which would make me the 5th owner of this car(yes i said 5th). I have never broken down in this car, its in top shape engine and body...no rust or dents to be found any where. I love the quattro in the snow which is a need here in Minnesota, i am the first one out of the driveway in the morning before its plowed and have been pushing snow with the front dumper. Cons: Fuel econ is not great...i have learned that if you run the ac it will effect the gas milage greatly - size of car is really small...so dont expect to get 5 people in it very easy. My overall empression of the vehicle is very good, i love it and will continue to drive it past 200,000 miles.

Great car for Buisness and Fun all in 1

by Italian Audi Driver from Pittsburgh, PA | November 28, 2009

I Bought this car used with 135000 miles on it and I was a little weiry about buying any car with that many miles. Except this car. It handles and performs great. Gets up to speed quickly but it doesn't even feel like your going 80 miles an hour in this car. Comfortable interior, snug but not cramped. Wish the owner put the trip computer in it. Love the radio layout and air-conditioning and heater. The automatic shifting on this car is a little weird it takes a while to downshift after leveling out on a big hill. I also wish the exterior styling looked a little better. But no matter what, I love this car.

Solid German Performer

by Ginzaman from | April 21, 2009

Bought it brand new in 1999. Since then I bought 3 German cars. I never going to buy Japanese or American. Quattro is something you can't live without on snow and rain. Engineer to last forever and lovely going high-speed in place like autobahn. Great Bose system, 5 valve per cylinder engine, perfect manual transmission. I can't compliant at all. Solid, strong and reliable.

Safe and solid wagon for a family and more

by Family man from Amherst, MA | March 27, 2009

Audi has always built very safe and solid cars. I had 2 of them in early 90s and my 3rd car is a '99 A4 wagon. While in the past Audi cars were more like VW with just a different label on the front, somewhere in the 90s they've developed into a very refined, high-end brand. And there are lots of reasons! Their cars are day and night different from old Audis or even current VWs. Overall the maintenance costs are there, but nothing surprising. The parts costs a little bit more, but they are so well engineered that longevity and reliability is not an issue. I've never been stranded on the road, and I drive around 20K per year. In fact, the road feels a lot more pleasant in an Audi than in most other cars for me (I am 6 ft tall male). It's not a sports car, but rather a well tuned "sleeper" car with plenty of power and handling to be shown as needed.

Fun driving summer and winter

by Carmen from Boston, MA | February 16, 2009

Great car. Very expensive to buy, but pleasure from driving it, and overall finish is so good, you'll never look at Lexus or other Japanese luxury car. I had a wagon for 3 years. I can't really say it was not reliable, but it did require maintenance off and on. Nothing unusual, though. Before that car I had a Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy and they required just as much maintenance. Except may be the time when two rear suspension springs had to be replaced on Audi. Mechanic thought that was really rare for any car, so I am not sure what it was used by its previous owner. Regardless, if I had the money to continue buying Audi cars, I would, but they are really expensive these days.

Amazing everyday driver with some extra power

by Audi Enthusiast from Michigan | September 29, 2008

This car has amazing handling especially with the factory sport suspension and is a fast performance sedan. The best part is that it can be very tame and a very comfortable everyday car. I have literally driven for 12 hours straight with only bathroom and food breaks and never got a sore rear. The BOSE sound package is nothing short of amazing. The only gripe I have is with the manual seat adjustments, I wish they were powered. Perfect car and well worth a meticulously maintained one.

Great Car

by claremontbookworm from claremont, ca | September 18, 2007

I LOVE my Audi A4 - stylish, sleek and a lot of fun to drive. For being 8 years old it still looks like a new car! The tiptronic is fun to drive and the turbo is great for the high ways. Had to so some service as to be expected with any car with high mileage, but feel confident driving it. Great car.

Featured Services for this Audi A4