The A5 and its performance twin, the S5, are aimed straight for their fellow two-door heartthrobs: the BMW 3 Series coupe and Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class. Like its Deutschland competitors, the A5 seats four and draws power from a high-tech six-cylinder engine. All-wheel drive is standard across the line.
New for 2009
Adaptive cruise control is now available.
The A5 is instantly recognizable as an Audi, with the brand's customary wide-mouth grille flanked by lower air intakes. At 182.1 inches long, the A5 falls just between the 3 Series coupe (181.1 inches) and the CLK (183.2). It's the shortest in height but also the widest of its competitors.
- Twin exhaust pipes
- Standard 18-inch wheels
- Dark lower rear bumper
Audi's Multi-Media Interface system governs various functions — including the optional navigation system — with a central knob behind the gearshift. Thanks to more than a dozen shortcut buttons surrounding the knob, it's easier to use than BMW's similar iDrive, but uninitiated drivers might find it confusing. The A5 has an extensive range of materials to choose from, including two-tone leather/Alcantara seats and a choice of decorative interior trim options. The trunk holds a sedan-like 16.1 cubic feet of luggage, much more than the 3 Series coupe (11.1 cubic feet) or the CLK (10.4).
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control
- Standard auxiliary audio input
- Standard leather seats
- Optional sportier seats
- Optional 14-speaker sound system
- Audi Music Interface now available as stand-alone option for full control of iPod through the car's stereo controls
Under the Hood
The A5's engine features variable valve lift control (similar to Honda's VTEC) and direct fuel injection. In normal conditions, the all-wheel drive channels 60 percent of power to the rear wheels. Shift paddles are no longer standard on the 3.2, but are now available in the S Line package. With the manual transmission, Audi says the A5 can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in about 6 seconds.
- 265-horsepower, 3.2-liter V-6 makes 243 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed manual or six-speed automatic (auto-manual mode shift paddles available as package option)
- Standard Quattro all-wheel drive
- Available adaptive cruise control
- New Audi drive select package available, including adaptive suspension dampers and dynamic steering system
The navigation package now includes a Voice Control System. The PTA Technology Package includes side assist, which keeps track of vehicles next to the A5 and activates a light in the side mirror when a car is present. Standard safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for front seats
- Side curtain airbags for both rows of seats
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Traction control
- Electronic stability system
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|David Thomas||Cars.com National||December 15, 2008|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||August 1, 2008|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Audi A5
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.