2003 Audi A6

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Good but can be costly

by 2003 Audi from Boston, MA | May 2, 2014

My 03 A6 2.7T sedan was purchased from a dealership in 05. The car was a 2 year lease and I bought it under Audi's certified per-owned service with just under 24k on the odometer. I still own the car that now has 205K on the odometer. The turbos and torque converter were replaced at 107k. Blown turbo resuled in the entire engine needing to be removed. While the engine was out, I replaced both turbos with upgraded versions. (This is the biggest risk of owning the 2.7T engine as the turbos are in the worst place if repairs are needed) labor for this work was $4k not including parts. All in, the cost was close to $9k but I still own the car and love driving it. I would not have repaired the car if I did not intend to keep it. If you don't plan to keep it then look at other lower maintenance cars or model years. Replaced the following over 205k miles while never getting stranded on the road. Transmission torque converter (while engine was out) Water pump (upgraded to one with metal impeller instead of plastic), timing belt, altenator, oil pressure switch, brake master cylinder, after engine oil pump at top of engine, cam plugs, engine cylinder gaskets due to oil leak and coolant hoses. I summary, the car does have engine software (aka chipped) but is not driven hard all the time. Fast, fun and comfortable to drive. Even with 205K on the odometer, sprints to 60 take just 5.5 seconds and the top end limiter has been removed. Very, very fun and fast and 100mph comes up very quickly. Just be forewarned that when it breaks it will be costly and this engine is known to have small oil leaks that can mess up your garage floor or driveway. One bit of advice when looking at this car/engine. Do not buy it unless the prevoius owner/dealer gives you all and I mean all of the service that has been performed on the car. Do not take his or her word for it. This is a high maintenance vehicle and it must be kept up. You will need to be handy with time and tools or find yourself a good independent mechanic as the dealership will charge you much more for labor and parts. Like most cars these days, the part is not the biggest cost it's the time it takes getting to it, then closing everything back up. My independent Audi/VW mechanic says the biggest problem he sees with Audis and VWs is: 1) People don't drive them hard enough (think about where these cars are were born to drive) 2) Improper oil change interval. No matter what the manual or dealer says, get the oil changed every 4k miles and use only synthetic oil. He has pulled plenty of engines and turbos over 30 years to know what he is talking about.

great car

by the driver from new york | March 30, 2014

my 2003 Audi a6 is sweet, quick on the move and fun to drive. Mike , Dave and Josh are bunch of great guys. They took good care of me and they take good care of guys. I recommend them to anyone looking for a good car.

Best car I ever owned.

by Autobahn Burner from Montville, N.J. | May 25, 2013

I had the 2001 2.7 6 Spd Bi-Turbo. To me it was the best car I ever owned now I'm talking Bimmers (I had 3) and Benz's (had 2) I also had 2 other Audi's both A-4s. This car was put together well, the interior was neat and well appointed, and the performance was outstanding. It handled much like a sports car and the acceleration was in a word "quick" I had the car about 3 months and I had a chip put in, well the car went from quick to super quick real fast. If you want a car that is dependable, good looking and sporty, I highly recommend this car.

2003 Audi A6 Avant

by Mattii from USA | January 26, 2011

Great car!! I am a college student and I travel back home and then to school all the time. The car drives beautifully on highways as well as on local roads. The quatttro provides lots of fun on the snow and the suspension provides great driving on roads. Great car overall!!!

continually impressed

by audi fan from Great Falls, MT | December 5, 2010

I've owned this car for about 2 years now. There's a lot to like about Audi. The interior fit and finish is outstanding. With the V8 and quattro, there is always power and grip for all road conditions. I do my own maintence, but I recently paid for a brake job that ran $840 (all new pads and rotors), so cost of owning an Audi is somewhat higher than others. I bought this vehicle used, so I see it as a great value for the money, but if I would have paid the near 50K sticker price back in 2003, I would rate as a 3 star. I will replace this vehicle with either an A6 or A8.

Good car with issues

by "Drive, Drive, Drive! from Phoenix Arizona | November 3, 2010

I had a 2003 A6 that had nothing but problems. It spent more time at the dealer than it should have & 3 months after the warranty expired, it needed a $3500 repair on the transmission. I got rid of it and got a 2006 A6. It is a totally different car in the way it looks, drives, handles, EVERYTHING. One thing is that it has the little annoying service lights and electronic repair issues that the older model had. I also don't like the hesitation when eccelerating or the pause when shifting into reverse. That can be dangerous. I'll give it a few more months before I write Audi off forever, but I hope it's worth it.

Not ready for a Camry

by drock from Derby,Ct | July 16, 2010

Car has a lot of speed no tourque to speak of. I have always had an anti-freeze oder in the car, no problems detected. Transmission in normal setting is a bit jerky when cold. The engine is 2.7T which has never failed me, but it does need the upgrade. All in all positive exp. w/car but depretiation is big factor.

Great car,low maintnance!!!

by Chris from | March 20, 2010

I happen to know this car,great car,nice appearence,supperb handling and performance! V-8 has a low maintnance,great horse power and more life in it than the v-6!!!Use to own one just like that!!!Buy withconfidence!!!

Great Car period.

by Jay from Kearny NJ | July 27, 2009

Car is more luxurious than a Mercedes E350, reliable, super fast, all-wheel drive, and most of all it is comfortable. It is the car the goes well in any situation whether you are looking for performance, luxury with it rear heated seats, or if you just want to look good pulling up to a function. Its not a car that breaks the bank but it looks the part.

Best Vehicle For The Money

by Thor from Peoria, IL | February 9, 2009

Excellent Vehicle. I have owned many BMW's and Mercedes, this is the single best vehicle I've ever owned. I had a newer Mercedes C Class and wanted to buy a car I could pay cash for and not have a payment...I hit the Jackpot! For the money you absolutelt CANNOT buy a better car. I would have paid for this car what I paid for the new Mercedes...it's that good.