2013 Audi A7
Starting MSRP $60,100
Introduced for 2012, the A7 Sportback, a large hatchback conceived along the same lines as BMW's 5 Series Gran Turismo, combines a coupelike profile with the comfort of a sedan and the practicality of a station wagon, Audi says. The A7 slots between the A6 and A8 sedans in Audi's lineup. Competitors include the 5 Series GT and V-6 Porsche Panamera.
The A7 comes standard with a supercharged V-6 and all-wheel drive. A new high-performance variant, dubbed S7, is powered by a 420-horsepower, twin-turbocharged V-8 and is covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2013
Formerly a four-seat car, the A7 can now have an available rear bench seat that increases seating capacity to five. The supercharged V-6 drivetrain now includes fuel-saving stop-start technology, which automatically turns off the engine when you come to a stop and restarts it when you need to accelerate. The system includes an off button.
The Innovation Package adds two new safety features. Active Lane Assist is a camera-based system that warns the driver of an unintended lane change and can steer the car back to the middle of the lane. Corner View uses front and rear cameras to provide better visibility when exiting a parking space or alley, for instance.
The A7's measurements line up closer to the squat Panamera than the 5 Series GT. The roofline descends onto a short rear deck, from which the rear end cuts abruptly downward. Up front, Audi's tall grille dominates the space, and the headlights include standard LED daytime running lights — once an Audi signature element, now a common sight among luxury cars. Full-LED headlights are optional. Exterior features include:
- 18-inch wheels standard; 19- and 20-inch wheels optional
- Power rear spoiler
- Power moonroof
- Xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights
- Optional S line ground effects
The cockpit's contours wrap from the doors to the dash. A central display powers up from the center part of the dash. It's controlled by Audi's latest Multi Media Interface, whose knob controller has an adjacent touch-pad that picks up commands as you trace them with your fingers. Interior features include:
- Heated leather front seats
- Seats four; optional rear bench seat for five-person capacity
- Automatic air conditioning
- Optional ventilated front seats
- Optional Bang & Olufsen premium stereo
- Optional navigation system
- Optional heated steering wheel
Under the Hood
The A7's supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 delivers 310 hp and 325 pounds-feet of torque. With an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-biased all-wheel drive, the A7 hits 60 mph in 5.4 seconds, Audi says. Mechanical features include:
- Engine uses premium gas
- Fuel-saving stop-start engine technology
- Optional sport suspension
Eight airbags, including dual front knee airbags, are standard. Antilock brakes and an electronic stability system are also standard. Additional optional safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for the rear seats
- Blind spot warning system
- Adaptive cruise control with forward collision warning
- Lane departure warning and prevention
- Night vision with pedestrian detection
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|David Thomas||Cars.com National||October 15, 2011|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||August 27, 2012|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Audi A7
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.