2004 Audi S4

15 city / 21 hwy

Overall

Great Car

by S4 Power from Garnet Valley, PA | June 29, 2013

I owned an 04 S4 for 9 years and loved every minute of it. I serviced it properly thru the dealership and never had any issues besides the normal maintenance. The S4 is sporty and quick and a pleasure to drive. I traded my S4 in for an S6 because I needed a larger car but did not want to lose the power. I have owned a BMW M3, a 928 S4 Porsche and a Q45 Infinity and I would only drive an Audi from this point forward. It is worth every penny!

S4 Avant - the best all-around car ever?

by S4life from | June 4, 2013

Seriously the best car I've ever owned. So much fun to drive. So nice to look at. Such safety and great visibility. The motor is so strong and the sound is awesome! Perhaps the best all around sports car - Quattro makes it year round!

Get a Good Mechanic

by Track Day from Rogers, AR | October 25, 2011

Oddly enough, I thought I already submitted a review some time ago. In short, this thing is always in the shop, and I mean always! My co-workers give me a hard time constantly as I have to bum rides to the office as my wife needs the truck to take the kids to school etc. You will need a good mechanic. Yes, I've made quite a few mods to the car: Stop Tech Brakes in Front Hoskis Sway Bars AWE Down Pipes AWE Cat Back System Bilstein PSS9 Suspension, Adjustable Stratmosphere Cold Air Intake Stratmosphere Short Throw Shift Kit JH Motorsport, Stage 4 Synthetic Clutch JH Motorsports, Light Weight Aluminum Fly Wheel However, I'v blown the quatro system. Yes, not sure how that's possible, but blew it out and put in a new one, $7,500. Surpentine belt broke. Well, you can't just throw a new one on, it's behind the engine and you need to be built like an elf to put a new one in. One of the motor mounts went out...what? How does a motor mount go bad? Leaky radiator parts/hoses, been an on going problem. Even for an import specialist, the car is very difficult to work on. I constantly get comments from the mechanics like "should have bought a Porsche" or love this, "a Ferrari would have been cheaper". Long story short. This car, with aformentioned mods, is wicked fast and a lot of fun to drive. It now has quite a few gremlins and unfortunately I will be breaking up with my Audi very soon. Now looking to possibly go with a Jaguar, need more room and it has rave reviews. Both the XJ and XF are looking good at this point. I must be getting too old! Good luck!

very exciting drive

by Audi fan from minneapolis, mn | October 20, 2011

I've owned my 04 Audi S4 for four months now and not a day goes by when I'm not excited to drive it. Effortless accelleration, loves to be revved high. Very precise and predictable suspension with the help of the quattro system. Exhaust needs to be more throaty, but it has lots of potential. The only bad thing is it definitley not a gas sipper. It has been a great purchase!

bad luck

by emt36 from boston, ma | February 12, 2011

i purchased the 04 s4 in may of 2010 lucky enough to get sprint blue. everything in the car was perfect till i hit a puddle and blew the motor and the car is a total loss now even people at the audi dealership couldnt believe it. everything about the car is great and no complaints other than my bad luck. time to start the hunt for another s4

Fast Little Handler

by U58 from New England | January 4, 2011

The ride is comfortable, though not nearly as much as my former stock '01 S4. Handling is very good with understeer. It comes with summer tires on 18" wheels; snow tires are required if temps get below 45F. I have 4 performance snows on separate 17" wheels and have never had a problem getting anywhere in our New England winters. The clutch and stick work very well with excellent feel. There's a very large trunk and lots of interior storage in different spaces. With the rear seats folded down, you can fit an amazing amount of stuff. Xenon low beams give excellent illumination but with sharp cutoff. The rear seats have little leg room since I keep my front seat all the way back; I'd have preferred an extra inch of front legroom. The Bose radio has sound that's OK, but not great; the bass is not powerful, especially at lower sound levels despite the subwoofer. The front seat heaters have infinite adjustment and are fantastic. The center armrest console cover is attached by 2 weak plastic anchors, one of which broke recently and the replacement cover cost $235. When reversing, the passenger mirror points down and both mirrors fold in electronically if desired. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes and there's memory for 4 drivers. There's only 1 trip odometer. Auto dimming rear and side mirrors work well, but you cannot activate them manually if the sun is blinding you. All 4 windows are auto up and down. I have 56K miles on this sedan now and it's still reliable, other than one ignition coil replacement; Audi extended the warranty on the coils recently. I also had to replace a leaking cooling radiator for $750. There's a TSB on the radiators so Audi knows about the design problem, but you still have to pay for it. The interior still looks new and I still have the original battery, brakes, clutch and muffler. EPA gas estimates when I bought it were 14city/21hwy, but they revised it under recent guidelines to 13/20! I track every fill on a spreadsheet and have gotten 21.30 mpg since purchase. It requires 91 octane; it's cheaper to alternate fills from 87 octane one time to 93 octane the next time. There's so much torque with the manual than I can drive around town in 6th gear at 30 mph saving gas. The trip computer understates actual mpg by about 0.7 mpg (compared over one 10K stretch). Car and Driver did a review of the '04 sedan with manual transmission and got 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. They also gave it a 10.0 in handling and fun to drive compared with the '03 BMW M3. The 4.2L V-8 has a great sound. Since there are NO turbos, there are NONE of the worries of the need to cool turbos down after EVERY jaunt. Turn signal switch must be left in the neutral position when the car's off or it leaves the parking lights on.

Nicest car I've ever owned

by Azul from crawfordsville,in | November 22, 2010

Hands down a gorgeous car. Paint color is the factory Nogaro Blue that absolutely pops. I got to experience my first ever $100.00 oil change but when it takes 9 quarts of synthetic that's to be expected. Nice taut ride. Abundant torque and excelleration. Definately designed for the Autobahn. You can be traveling at a high rate of speed effortlessly. Would highly recomend.

This is the most fun car that I've ever owned

by Nunyabiz from Philadelphia | October 28, 2010

There are allot of up and down reviews about this car on this site but overall this vehicle is a good car to own. As with any car that puts any sort of a smile on your face you are going to have to maintain it. I think people expect to get more (performance wise) and less (upkeep and maintenance) at the same time. The car itself drives great. It took awhile but the aftermarket has finally opened up and there are allot of mods you can do to personalize the car. I have never had an issue in the snow and the car is a great all-season vehicle. It handles more than good enough for any feats that should be attempted on public roads and the sound of the exhaust is probably the thing I'll miss most about it once it's gone. Don't be scared by all the horror stories you see commented as the unhappy few are always the ones to make their opinions known. The overwhelming majority of S4 owners have had happy ownership with their cars and often end up buying a newer version once they sell.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Sport Sedan Lover from Kansas City | October 12, 2010

This is hands-down, the best car I've ever owned. Great power, great handling dynamics; a touch of understeer, but you can induce slight oversteer with throttle application. I bought a set of snow tires, and combined with quattro, it's fantastic in the snow. The interior is fantastic with high-quality materials, great seats, and a great sound system. The exterior is a bit understated, but I like that too. I gave 4 stars for reliability because I've had a few minor problems, but nothing terribly expensive, or anything that left me stranded.

Audi S4 - You'll love the drive but not the bill

by AudiLvr from Boston, MA | July 21, 2010

This is my first Audi and what a first Audi to buy. It's changed my point of view on cars in general. I am completely spoiled with the subtle and not so subtle design and performance features that I my not be able to buy another car without it being an Audi. It's strikingly fast and handles very well anywhere you put it. I've driven with no issues through 1' of snow and I've taken it on long trips in the summer and it's been great all the way around. The big hang up is how much it costs to own this car. The gas milage seems like a bad dream at 11-13 in the city. Repair costs are unreal considering that most parts are dealer only and have to come from Germany (my new alternator was $1000 + labor) Proper tires for this car will run you $1200-1500 and on and on. BUT if you're willing to hang in there and love this car, it's not like anything else.

Featured Services for this Audi S4