BMW's small 1 Series debuted in the U.S. for 2008 as a coupe and a convertible. The base 128i is powered by an inline-six-cylinder engine that drives the rear wheels. Available in spring 2008, the 128i competes with other performance cars like the Mazda RX-8 and Nissan 350Z.
New for 2009
New features include a heated steering wheel that's been added to the Cold Weather Package, as well as a new control feature for iDrive on navigation-equipped 128 models. Also new on navigation models is a Google Maps feature that allows users to search for restaurants, gas stations, etc. using Google's database.
Compared to the 3 Series coupe, the 128i features a more upright grille and a C-pillar that's not as sleekly styled. A pronounced sheet metal crease runs the length of the coupe's sides, which are otherwise relatively smooth.
- Available adaptive xenon headlights follow the direction of the road
- Standard heated side-view mirrors and heated windshield washer jets
- Standard rain-sensing wipers
- Convertible features power-operated soft-top that BMW says can open or close in 22 seconds
- Convertible top available in black, taupe and Moonlight Black
- Moonlight Black features metallic fibers integrated into the material, which BMW says makes the top look silver in sunlight
There's room for four in the 128i; front occupants sit on bucket seats and the backseat has room for two.
- Simulated leather seating surfaces; real leather is optional
- Auxiliary jack for connecting a portable music player
- 60/40-split folding rear seat can expand the coupe's trunk
- Optional Sport Package includes sport seats with more aggressive bolstering
- Convertible's leather seats have BMW's Sun Reflective Technology, which is designed to lower the temperature of seats exposed to sunlight
- Optional navigation system equips the 1 Series with BMW's iDrive control system; gets new control feature for 2009
Under the Hood
BMW's inline-six-cylinder engine makes a modest 230 horsepower in the 128i. If that isn't enough, consider stepping up to the 300-hp, twin-turbocharged 135i, which is covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
- 230-hp, 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder
- Rear-wheel drive
- Six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission
- Optional paddle shifters with automatic transmission
Safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags for front and rear occupants
- Electronic stability system
- Antilock brakes
- Convertible loses the side curtain airbags but keeps the side-impact airbags and features popup roll bars
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 BMW 128.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range