2012 BMW 128

18 city / 28 hwy

Overall

My low miles 128 i

by ferdi from NC from NC | July 21, 2014

I got the car mainly because it had very low miles, about 9000, it is certified, and it was a good value. I also own a 2008 328 I, and there are some noticeable differences between the two vehicles. Of course, the 328i sedan is roomier, but I knew that from the start. No issue there. What I found out, is that first of all the quality and fit and finish of the interior are of lower quality in the 128i. Ok, that is fine, too, the 128i being a cheaper car from the start. What is surprising is the difference in engine and handling. They are both supposed to have the same engine, but as the 128i has a nicer start up sound, and slightly better acceleration at lower end rpm's, (no lag so noticeable in the 328i), the 328i (with sport package - and there is quite a difference between 328i's with and those without sport package) has overall better acceleration. Put both cars in a drag race, the 328i albeit heavier and with the same kind of engine and horsepower will smoke the 128i. (Both cars, like I said, are equipped with sport package, 128i actually has M sport package.) Is this due to the understatement of horsepower by BMW in their best selling car? Maybe... Second, with the same kind of engine again, the 328i, heavier, gets better mileage. 26 combined, vs 24 for the 128. (Come on, the 128 does not drop to 14 like some reviewer said...). And finally, handling, they're pretty close, but even with the M sport package, my 2012 128i is not as tight as my sport package 328i. This latter is very tight, to the point that at lower speeds, it feels like a work out to steer the car, but I love that steering when you actually drive the car fast through corners. There, it handles much better and more securely than the 128i. So, again, if you're looking for a compact, sports car, with lots of pep and good handling, and also with good gas mileage, then you might feel let down with the 128.

awesome

by my first BMW ! from Vienna, Va. | April 29, 2014

bought my 2012 BMW 128i about a year ago .... love the exterior "compact", "smart" styling which looks awesome from every angle. extremely fun car to drive ... tight handling, whisper quick acceleration, and i get 30+MPG on long highway travel. almost 13,000 miles on it and no mechanical issues at all . i plan to have this one for a long time!

A no go for me

by pam from dallas | December 22, 2012

We got the 128 after a 2008 135. Wow, what a difference! The 128 gets terrible gas mileage (20 vs 26 for the 135) and it has dog performance with regard to handling and acceleration. I wish I had driven the car before ordering it because it would have been a no go. I never knew a 50 year old women could be a performance snob.

Thouroughly Enjoying My 128i Coupe

by Dick from Scaumburg, IL | June 14, 2012

I bought a 2010 dealer executive driven Coupe and could not be happier. Pick-up is excellent, as are braking power and handling. My first BMW. I'm a little suprised at reviews that berate gas mileage, as I get 25 MPG in my combo highway and suburban driving, about 250 miles per week for my first year of ownership. Ride is good, but the leather bucket seat is a litte stiff - but that's pretty minor. 6-speed Steptroniic is smooth....in fact....so is the whole car!

Great car, gas mileage sucks

by Hipster City Girl from | August 14, 2011

This is a fun car to drive, sporty looking, powerful, etc. It would be wonderful if BMW could also figure out the magical formula of making a high-performance car with some sort of fuel efficiency. After 2 months of driving this car, both city and highway, it only averages 14mpg.