1995 BMW 318

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Brilliant

by 318ti owner from PA | March 25, 2014

I'm on my 2nd 318ti, having recently upgraded to a 97 m-sport. I dd it, but the car let's me have fun when I want. Weighing 2700 pounds, and having a 50-50 weight balance, the car drives and handles like a dream, and I'm also in love with the way it looks. With only 140 under the hood though, don't expect to win any drag races. Mechanically, both of my tis were great; the only thing I've had to do is fix an oil leak and replace a window regulator. My only complaint is highway driving. at 65MPH you do about 3k, so that's pretty lame. If only it had a 6spd...

Best car ever!

by 95 BFF from Yardley, PA | July 6, 2013

Have over 317,000 miles on my 1995 e36. Engine still running strong but last year has been tough - a few dents, dead radio, lights out and in need of suspension work. Highway miles kept this car strong and was still getting close to the 30 mpg/hwy with very little maintenance. Leatherette interior in great shape. Will be sooo sad to say goodbye to this loyal friend.

15-years later: review of BMW 318ti Hatchback

by BMW driver from Seattle, WA | October 18, 2011

The only BMW hatchback -- the 318ti ("t" means "touring," not "turbo") has become a cult classic. After 15 years, the red clearcoat pain began to fade to blotchy pink, but that's because the car has been street-parked all its life, and it is red, the most vulnerable paint color. I had it professionally refinished in the original red and it is looks good as new. I have had almost zero maintenance other than oil changes and standard things like brakes and radiator flush. I get these kinds of reactions at quick lube centers: "That car is tight!" "Hatchback! I got to get one of those!" "Call me if you ever want to sell it." "My girlfriend would look great in this car."

Not a beemer!

by joe from Houston,Texas | May 3, 2009

This is not a beemer!I want to get rid of it so bad,but I can't!I mean my bmw hatchback looks like some Geo Metro AND PRETTY MUCH ONE OF THEM ITSELF! I've also never heard of a bmw with rotten cloth seats and a1 liter engine. I would pay like $9,000 instead of around $20,000.

Solid daily driver & high MPGs

by Transportationoic from Kansas City, MO | February 22, 2008

For an old car it still has good build quality. Continued regular service has allowed for over 200,000 miles. The vehicle is well balanced under all driving conditions. ABS & the locking differntial are must haves in the winter months never leaving me stuck. Head & fog lights are great, casting an even wash across the roadway. With high MPG numbers & a large fuel tank, you can really drive all day at 70-75mph. The 4 cyl is underpowered & the steering seems a skosh heavy when driving slow or in parking lots. The location of cabin filter is buried behind the dash making replacement difficult. Older models look for vinyl on door panels lifting off. The 318's do not have a trip computer available as an option. In the dark expect poor interior lighting there are no under dash/floor lights & no illuminated door locks or tilt steering & auto dimming rearview mirror. You know you’re driving a solid, purpose built machine. At cruising speeds the engine seems over zealous as if there should be a fifth gear. Propperly maintained, these old BMW's are bulletproof.

Featured Services for this BMW 318