1998 BMW 318

1998 BMW 318

Available in 2 styles:  318 2dr Hatchback shown

23 city / 32 hwy

Overall

economical, reliable fun to drive

by m3 from seattle, wa | February 17, 2011

My first car. at 126000 miles there is no problems at all, the engine is running as strong as it did 12 years ago, built quality is very high. 5 speed tranny is good but requires precision and slowish shifting for smoothness

Red 98 Ti

by Ti lover from BimmerBurg, Germany | November 7, 2009

I got a red 318Ti from the 98 model year, but you could never tell by looking at it that it's 11 years old. The E36 body style has aged very well and is really the last hoorah of good BMWs before they became all Bangle-ish and blingy. One of my friends almost mistook it for a civic hatchback. So what you have here is a BMW that you can actually be seen in. It's a cheap, cheerful hatchback when the shoe fits, and a tire-smoking, engine-revving, lane-hogging statusmobile for when you're feeling a bit more robust. This car is one of BMWs biggest hidden treasures and i am a fan for life. Great RWD starter car. I haven't tried it but it seems like it would kill at autocross events with a little weight trimming. Amazingly sharp steering, i'm used to AWD so when I first stepped intoi the Ti i thought it was twitchy until I realized that it was because I no longer had to deal with understeer. I would recommend this car to anyone from a random guy on the street to my own mother, just try to find one in fairly good condition.

Very sound auto

by ti owner from Woodbury, MN | November 5, 2007

I have owned a 318ti for 10 years, and have had no major problems with the car. I have also owned a 325is, but that car wasn't as reliable as this one. I do wish it had a tilt steering wheel

TI pre-owner

by The stig from BMW town | July 4, 2007

This car although small is a good bang for your buck. Between gas and expenses, it sips gas for a premium and performs like no other. Its 4 cylinder gives it no dis-advantage and meets up to the BMW quality standards of their cars. I found people often saying it sounds like a turbo when you hit over drive and has a sound like no other. The cars handling is very well and is great for its since. Its perfectly adjusted and handles great, even under horrible conditions. I found myself in a controlled slide only once on ice, and it pulled out fine. The interior lacks some zang but it does it just fine for the price. My only real complaint about the car is its a lemon. Bought at 80,000 miles.. I have had more problems with this car than imagionable. All the way from over heating problems too the interior door pannels and center consoles falling out. The door panel is rigged in a do-it yourself fashion which means it barely holds and i find myself closing the door by the metal on the window. My car alone maybe a lemon, and i heard that 318's were just not made well, but dont let that stop you! The car is a fun auto, And performes well. It lacks 0-60 speed but most bmw's do. After the 60 mph marker, the car accelerates to a point where its scary fast. You can find yourself out running a squad car if you perform well. All in all i give the car a Ok rating, its a good starter car.

A joy to drive!

by Original ti Owner from Bowling Green, OH | April 5, 2007

The 318ti is a fun, reliable, and efficient car to both own and drive. I have over 129,000 miles on my 1998 318ti that I purchased new and it's still running strong. An excellent car that I would recommend to anyone!

Best little car i've owned

by morrphix from Melbourne Fl | September 9, 2006

I bought this 98 car in 2006 and loved it since. I has its little quirks like every car but nothing too bad. The handaling is wonderfull and the car packs a descent acceleration for the engine provided. Great gas miliage and a confortable ride on long trips. The car is hard to work on by one's self since everything is so tightly packed into the car. I do wish the manual was geared a little better since the car reves high on the highway but other then that the ride is smooth. If your in the market for an used bmw and want a good intro beamer this a good way to go.

Featured Services for this BMW 318