Offered in 328, twin-turbo gasoline 335 and new twin-turbo diesel 335 forms, the 3 Series is BMW's bread-and-butter model. Available in sedan, wagon, coupe and retractable-hardtop convertible body styles, the 328 competes with the Infiniti G and Mercedes-Benz C-Class. The 335 is listed separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2009
The 328 receives a minor facelift for 2009 as well as fresh rear styling. Look for a new name designating all-wheel-drive sedans and wagons, which are now called 328i xDrive instead of 328xi.
The 328 features a long hood and short front overhangs. The coupe looks much like the sedan, but it's sleeker. All body styles have a prominent twin-kidney grille.
Exterior features include:
- New front and rear styling for 2009
- 16-inch wheels
- 17-inch wheels are optional on sedans but standard on coupes and convertibles
- Run-flat tires are mounted on all models
- Optional adaptive xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights
- Optional active steering with speed-sensitive assist
Sedans and wagons can hold five occupants, while coupes and convertibles seat four. The sedan's trunk capacity is 12 cubic feet.
Interior features include:
- Push-button ignition
- Standard automatic climate control
- Optional navigation system with iDrive
- Optional active cruise control can gently apply the brakes to maintain a preset speed
- Optional Sirius Satellite Radio
Under the Hood
The base engine for the 3 Series is the 328's 3.0-liter, naturally aspirated inline-six-cylinder.
Features for the 328 include:
- 230 horsepower, 200 pounds-feet of torque
- Variable valve timing
- Six-speed manual gearbox
- Optional six-speed automatic transmission with Normal, Sport and Manual modes
- Optional all-wheel drive
Convertibles aren't available with side curtain airbags like the coupe, sedan and wagon trims are.
Standard safety features include:
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Side curtain airbags (not available on convertible)
- Side-impact airbags
- Active front head restraints
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 BMW 328.