Offered in 328i, twin-turbo gasoline 335i and twin-turbo diesel 335d forms, the 3 Series is BMW's bread-and-butter model. Available in sedan, wagon, coupe and retractable-hardtop convertible body styles, the 328 competes with the Infiniti G and Mercedes-Benz C-Class. The 335 is listed separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2011
Coupe and convertible models get some exterior tweaks. Other than that, BMW changed equipment in some option packages for 2011.
The 328 features a long hood and short front overhangs. The 2011 coupe and convertible get styling tweaks to further separate them from the sedan, including a new hood, fresh twin-kidney grille, adaptive xenon headlights ringed by LED lighting, and new LED taillights. Exterior features include:
- Optional automatic high-beam headlights
- 16-inch wheels
- 17-inch wheels are optional on sedans but standard on coupes and convertibles
- Run-flat tires are mounted on all models
- Optional Active Steering with speed-sensitive assist
Sedans and wagons can hold five occupants, while coupes and convertibles seat four. iDrive, available only with an optional navigation system, is BMW's latest and best version, revamped with better graphics, more shortcut keys and improved menu functionality.
Interior features include:
- Push-button ignition
- Standard automatic climate control
- Optional navigation system with iDrive
- Optional adaptive cruise control can gently apply the brakes to maintain a preset speed
- Standard HD radio
Under the Hood
The base engine is a naturally aspirated 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder.
- 230 horsepower, 200 pounds-feet of torque
- Variable valve timing
- Six-speed manual gearbox
- Optional six-speed automatic transmission with Normal, Sport and Manual modes
- Optional all-wheel drive
Convertibles aren't available with side curtain airbags like the coupe, sedan and wagon trims are. However, convertibles do have a side airbag head extension.
Standard safety features include:
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Side curtain airbags (not available on convertible)
- Side-impact airbags
- Active front head restraints
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2011 BMW 328.