2012 BMW 328

Available in 6 styles:  2012 BMW 335 2dr RWD Coupe shown

Overall

Quite a nice car

by A Guy in an old body from North Jersey | April 13, 2016

I bought a used 2012 328i Convertible with 53 K-miles about 4 months ago and having been enjoying it quite a bit. It's been a solid daily commuter, offered several top-down weekend jaunts, and given good service (and pretty good fuel economy- roughly 30 MPG) on a 1500 road trip. It's an interesting rides, both quite firm and quite comfy. It hates potholes, and I have a new regard for uneven pavement. The steering is lovely, fast or slow, I feel comfortably in control. Braking is good, but the previous owner warped the rotors a bit, so I don't push them too hard - their time will come. Acceleration is perky. I had a old 442 that felt like it could pull stumps, and over all, this car accelerates as well or better. I have to be attentive on hiways (living in North Jersey, I spend quite a bit of time on hiways) as the car will easily find itself, calm and composed, doing 95 MPH without effort or bother. The autotrans is different than any I've driven before, giving a more 'manual' sort of feel, shifting later, and engine braking much of the time. Certainly, manually shifting makes the car much easier to control when feeling spritely. I can't get over how much this car likes to rev. The only car I've ever driven that like to spin more was an Alfa Romeo Montreal. The Alfa was amazing, but this BMW has a lot more pull throughout. That said, I find I use the cruise control extensively, both to stay under the speed limit, and minimize accelerating aggressively. Fuel economy is not bad when driven carefully, but it's perfectly content suck down premium like it's soda water. I find the iDrive system easy to like with, and the sound system is quite adequate. I love the power seats and power top, even if the later is somewhat leisurely in its operation. I would have prefered a cloth top, but an Audi was out of my range. The back seat, while very nicely executed, is pretty much unusable behind me, and the trunk is tiny with the top up, and laughable when the top is down. This car is wonderful for a mature couple with taste and restraint. Younger drivers will probably want more motor - I would have - and families will be frustrated by its limitations. I enjoy the car very much.

Great Entry into BMW World

by Bimmer Newb from Raleigh, NC | February 16, 2016

This is my first BMW / German car. After two months of driving, I'm a big fan of everything about the car. It drives great and is very customizable. It took some getting used to everything (including the manual) being included on the central screen, but it's nice and organized pretty well. The run-flats are a little harsher than traditional tires, but I've gotten used to that as well. In later F30 body styles, they've made the engine shutting off at red lights something to toggle on, rather than it being a default. This one has the engine stopping as the default. It's a little annoyance, but not horrible to have to toggle it from happening. Overall, this car has made me BMW believer. I love the styling in and out and it makes me want my next car purchase to also be a BMW.

328i 2012 sports trim

by 328i 2012 sports trim from | September 26, 2013

Excellent, love the car. Instant response when you accelerate. Stiff suspension, an absolute pleasure to drive.

fun to drive

by norm from Los Angeles | March 14, 2013

Only regret i have are the halogen lights and non auto seats. Other than that its a nice car. Fun to drive and great gas mileage.

Good mixture of everything!

by BMW from Oklahoma City, OK | February 17, 2013

Very sporty and should satisfy any normal person's power needs. Gets great gas milege for the power. Comfortable front seats, and plenty of leg and headroom in the back seat. Great, light steering. This is one of the most cool looking car's I've owned, I was in my other BMW and I didn't even recognised it because it looked so nice, The downsides are: uncomfortable rear seat, and lots of hard plastic mostly in rear cabin.

Head Turning Sports Machine

by Hard to Please from Chicago, IL | January 16, 2013

More heads turn to see who is driving this car than I've ever noticed. It is sleek, cool design and handles like a sport car should. Sound system is superb, with XM radio, advanced speakers and incredible bass.

Nice Overall Package

by German Car Enthusiast from San Diego, CA | December 27, 2012

The 2012/2013 model year BMW 328i is, subjectively, the best-looking car in its category. The new twin-scroll turbocharged 4-cylinder engine is powerful and responsive, albeit without the silky smoothness and aural qualities of the 2011 model that it replaces. When decked out with the usual array of comfort features, as well as the less-typical options such as the head-up display, BMW Assist, BMW Apps, parking sensors and rear camera, it is a pleasure to own and to drive. Fuel consumption, which is becoming an ever-increasing consideration, is excelent. I can easily achieve over 28mpg in mixed driving. As an overall package, this car bests the competition - I'm thinking C-Class MB, Audi A4 and Lexus IS here. In my opinion, of course...

unhappy enthusiast

by beamerguy from Long Island, NY | October 7, 2012

After being a BMW brand loyalist for many years i have to say the new F30 does not live up to the older generations. First off the interior is very very cheap and the seats do not support your back in any way. Now lets talk about the driving characteristics honestly my wife's V6 maxima has a more rememberable driving experience than my 328i and this is supposed to be an "ultimate driving machine" HA! The steering is loose, the engine sounds terrible no matter what RPM you are at, and not to mention the tires that comes with the car are awful it breaks traction under the smallest corners. Now i only had this car for about 2 months before trading it in for a 2011 328i with the straight 6 a much better engine and car all around. So i will leave you with this, if you are on the market for a BMW and if you really want to "DRIVE" it save your money and buy an older certified BMW you will be 10000 times happier.

Nice car

by 123kid from Austin Tx | September 23, 2012

I don't regret buying the 4cylinder twin turbo. Its great on gas, has the power, and people take second looks. I highly recommend the headup display. There is no after market parts for this car yet. I have never owned a BMW and would buy this one, maybe next time I'll buy the 335.

Best Purchase Ever

by 42 Year Old Playa from Denver CO | September 1, 2012

37 MPG combined in over 3500 miles. Plenty of power and performance in Sport mode. BMW has hit a home run.