2002 BMW 525

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great Car

by Azzam from San Diego | March 17, 2014

I like BMW in general... Very nice car, handles great, fair power for the weight and the engine size i had a 1987 325, and 2001 325, my dad have a 2010 530I, the 2002 325 handling was the best but this 2002 handle as good as the 2010

Loving it

by Michaelpcool from Spring Spring Md | November 4, 2013

I purchased my 525 after driving a. 3 series and Jetta for ten years. My new Bimmer is solid and handles well. The 3 series still handles the best but my series is roomy for my three sons and comfortable beyond belief. The ultimate driving machine is aprapos for my 2002 525i !

100 k and too many problems

by BMW 525 from Ashburn | June 11, 2012

Had this car for 6 years. After it had 90 k plus it start having problems. Cyclone filter failure, Fuel pump failure and finally Transmission failure and a engine oil leak from valve cover gaskets. BMW rides and looks good but repair expenses were starting to add up. Decided to sell and get a Honda. I will buy another 525 but trade or sell when it gets 100k miles.

Perfect balance between comfort and performance

by camdendennis from Camden, SC | January 16, 2012

I have owned 3 E39's. My 1997 528 with 280,000 miles still handled better than many new cars I drove. I replaced it with a 2002 525 sports package with 89k miles becuase I could not find a new car I like better. (the 2011 525 is nice but can't go 58k) Good performance. 28 - 30 mpg. Sports seats are a little hard but OK. I think they would be uncomfortable though for anyone over 230 or so. Reliable, but not trouble free. Expect replacement of water pump, belt tensioners at 90k or so. Air bag sensors sometimes act up. Great overall car

I Love This Car!!!

by My First Car :))) from Washington D.C. | April 22, 2011

This is My First car, I just got it a few months ago as a birthday gift, I have always loved BMW's anyway. This car has amazing handling, and performance, especially on winding roads. Since I have the sports package it has the 19" Wheels, the "M" steering wheel, and of course the sport suspension... The car runs great, even though you may run into a few problems with maintenance, it is still worth it, I never want to get rid of this car. Plus I feel like everywhere you go, people stare at you, its definitely an Eye catcher! (DON'T LET THE OTHER REVIEWS SCARE YOU AWAY)

The best 5 series BMW has made

by Arozok from Stonington, CT | May 10, 2010

I ordered my 525iT and am thrilled I waited for it. It's been completely trouble free in nearly eight years, rides like new, handles like new, brakes like new, has classic lines, feels like a tank, has exquisite craftsmanship, and is just a delight to drive each and every time.

Extreme disappointment

by fighting8r from Fort Myers FL | November 17, 2009

This car has had so many little things go wrong, to name a few: -A/C quit at around 12,000 miles, had to spend a few hundred to replace a blower or some such -passenger seat quit reclining -tilt quit tilting -front spoiler keeps coming off (too low for most parking lots) even after spending $$ to have it fixed at the bmw dealership -constantly get the error "transmission failsafe something" which means you have to shut off the engine and restart, or the transmission barely works (will not happen when the mechanic is looking) -dead battery around 14,000 miles Those are a few things off the top of my head. Add to that my supreme disappointment at the service provided by the dealerships: -takes way too long for an oil change -went in for the first oil change. They ask if you want just oil change or complete service. I went ahead and asked for the complete service, and of course paid for it. A few days later when the check coolant light came on, I called them and they said (not kidding) "well did you ask that the coolant be checked when you were in?" What is complete service??? -They NEVER check things like tire pressure, which prior to BMW service I'd always experienced as an automatic part of the service. I checked it myself just after having it in service and the pressure was WAY low. This even happened after a service when the tires (2 of them anyway while they re-attached the front spoiler) were actually removed. Sorry I'd think they'd just check the pressure while they had the tires there. -got stranded at the office as they kept promising the courtesy car would pick me up and ended up being late picking up my son at school -COST - last time I was in I paid $150 for oil change service, and they wanted to tack on another $150 for brake fluid flush and again a hundred something for tire rotation/balance! This is a very gently driven car, we take good care of it and only drive a few thousand miles a year. It is not like we've trashed it and broken all these things due to misuse. I've already taken enough time here and so will quit, although I could make the list longer. I'll be buying Acura next time.

Wonderful Car

by Happy Car Enthusiast from So. CA | February 8, 2009

Have owned our wagon for over three years-it's beautiful, flawless, sporty, comfortable, efficient, reliable, virtually everything we wanted in a car. Now I understand why the 5 series has always been considered the industry standard.

The Ultimate Driving Machine

by BMW4Life from | January 23, 2009

This is my 3rd BMW and has not let me down! Excellent combination of interior luxury and performance. Truly one of the best overall vehicles ever designed and built. Well balanced design with acceptable tradeoffs made to reach an extremely high level of driver satisfaction.

Minor flaws keep this from being a perfect car

by InIraq from Phoenix, AZ | December 15, 2008

My only complaints with the car after almost four years are: 1. Unusual "toe in" alignment causes uneven tire wear requiring new tires annually (unless you can live with the loud tire noise). It costs $600-$1000/yr for those tires when the time comes. Did it have to be that way? 2. The center console between the seats is poorly designed--wasteful of space and cheap looking. That bugs me. 3. No upgradeable electronics/stereo available, making the car feel dated before its time. I'll have to break down and go with some third-party stuff in the trunk. 4. The 525 model is underpowered. I regret not going to the next step up, the 535. 5. The automatic transmission is designed so it is inconvenient to use either the "sport" gearing or the "manual" mode, though once you get there both are perfect. Wasn't there a way to make it less "mechanical" to get there with the shifter? I never use either feature any more. 6. I wish that when I lock the doors it would close the windows and sun roof automatically. Otherwise the car really is top notch, especially: 1. The on-board computer tracks and monitors everything about the car and warns you of any faults, even a burned-out tail light or low coolant. I am lazy and appreciate that thing watching out for those details. 2. Changing that burned-out tail light was so easy I couldn't believe other manufacturers don't use the same design. Regular maintenance is easy and oil changes only come every few years. 3. The sizes of everything are just right, even for a tall person like me. The trunk is great and the back seat is adequate for women or kids. 4. My gas mileage is around 21/30, but on longer trips (where this car really shines) the mileage is closer to 40! 5. The handling and feel of the ride, especially with good tires, is awesome. I can take 90-degree turns at 45 mph, and I am a coward when it comes to driving too fast. The Lexus feels "hollow" to me in comparison. There is no way you're going to find a better car for $12K to $20K if it's been maintained--but pay for the 535 if you can afford it! You will not regret it.

Featured Services for this BMW 525