2001 BMW 540

Available in 3 styles:  5 Series Sedan shown

Overall

Love owning BMW 540i!

by AJ from Northern CA | June 28, 2014

I've owned a 2000 BMW 540i sport 5 yrs ago and I loved it - had to let it when I moved. Now I own a 2001 model, what a joy it is to ride! Other cars in this class do not compare to 540i & I've owned many top of the line V8 sedans (Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar & Cadillac) - this BMW just does everything better, I like it more than a Mercedes Benz or Audi. Now, as any BMW, it does require more $$ on service than a Japanese car (I'd say $1,000 a year more), but if maintained properly, this car would serve you well for a long time. If you want to buy a used 2001 540i, they are a great value now. Find a well maintained 540i with a clean title, Carfax report & all service records (whether it was maintained by dealer or independent mechanic). If you buy it from a kid in his 20s, chances are high its been raced or neglected & behind on mechanical maintenance - then you'll have to invest a lot of money to fix someone's problems. Now, if you will own this car: find a trustworthy, independent shop that charges much less than $200+/hr that a dealer would (my mechanic charges 4 times less). Also, buy parts from Amazon, etc. (I save 70+% compared to retail prices). So when you need to do a tune up - you'll pay 80% less, enjoy riding this beauty/beast more & spend the money you save on a nice vacation.

This was my car

by Ed from Nirthridge ca | August 4, 2012

This exact car belonged to me. It s a great vehicle and has an added Dinan Chip not mentioned in this ad. The only problem is the cooling system. I maintained this car carefully and kept a waranty on until I traded It in this May. I installed the XM radio system too. Lot of fun to drive but with the stick stay out of heavy traffic.

Best BMW I've Ever Owned

by 60 Nomad from Connecticut | June 16, 2010

I bought an 01 540I 6speed manual w/sports pkg last summer. It's the closest thing to an M5 without the extra 100 ponies and $$$$ parts. It's a rocket ship and a pleasure to drive. Handles like a dream w/Z rated tires. I've owned it for a year w/ no problems. Bought it w/124K w/all service records. Only issue was a blown radiator hose last February. Pixels on the dash will go and the cupholders are fragile. That's about all on the downside. This is my 4th 5 series starting with a 72 Bavaria. Great cars. My last 5er was an 89. I owned it for 10 years and put over 150K on it w/ no problems. I bought it w/95K. My son still drives it to school. I highly recommend the 540I w a stick. It's an awsome vehicle to drive.

Featured Services for this BMW 540