The five-seat 5 Series is offered with a twin-turbo V-8 (550i), a single-turbo six-cylinder (535i), a turbo-diesel six-cylinder (535d) and a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder for the 528i. Competitors include the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Audi A6 and Infiniti M.
The 5 Series lineup includes the Gran Turismo, a tall hatchback built on the 7 Series sedan platform. There's also a high-performance M5 sport sedan, which is covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
(Skip to details on the: 5 Series Gran Turismo)
New for 2014
The biggest news for 2014 is the addition of an all-new diesel model to the 5 Series lineup. Offered with either rear- or all-wheel drive, the 535d is powered by a turbo-diesel 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that makes 255 horsepower and 413 pounds-feet of torque.
The 550i sedan gains a more powerful V-8 engine that's rated at 445 hp and 480 pounds-feet of torque.
Other improvements to the entire 5 Series lineup - including the Gran Turismo models - include revised front and rear styling, standard adaptive xenon high-intensity-discharge headlamps and an iDrive navigation system with a tracing pad for direct character input. The 5 Series adopts the appearance "Lines" used elsewhere in the BMW lineup and also gains more storage room.
Newly optional features include a rear-seat entertainment system with tablet-style displays, selectable ambient lighting and adaptive LED headlights.
- Shares platform with the bigger 7 Series sedan
- Standard adaptive xenon headlamps; full LED headlamps optional
- LED taillights
- Seventeen-inch alloy wheels (528i)
- Available 18- and 19-inch rims
- Standard power sunroof
- Standard heated side mirrors
- Standard iDrive navigation system with 10.2-inch screen
- Ten-way power front seats
- Automatic dual-zone air conditioning
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Available head-up display
- Available heated and ventilated front seats
- Available rear-seat entertainment system
- Available Harman Kardon surround-sound stereo
Under the Hood
- Turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder makes 240 hp (528i)
- Turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder makes 300 hp (535i)
- Turbo-diesel 3.0-liter six-cylinder makes 255 hp (535d)
- Twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8 makes 445 hp (550i)
- Available all-wheel drive
- Available Adaptive Drive system includes active roll stabilization, adaptive suspension and customizable settings for the drivetrain and suspension
- Optional Active Steering varies the steering ratio to render easier turning at low speeds and stable handling at high speeds
- Optional adaptive cruise control includes full stop-and-go capabilities to manage heavy traffic
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Active front head restraints
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Optional blind spot monitoring system
- Optional lane departure warning
- Optional adaptive cruise control with collision warning system
5 Series Gran Turismo
BMW's bigger hatchback version of the 5 Series sedan, dubbed the 5 Series Gran Turismo, is offered in 535i GT and 550i GT trim levels. The Gran Turismo can accommodate four or five depending on the backseat configuration.
- Slightly more cargo room for 2014
- Updated exterior design
- Shares the same engines as the 535i and 550i sedans
- Standard air suspension and auto-leveling rear suspension
- Rear- or all-wheel drive
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Fuel-saving stop-start technology and BMW’s EcoPro system
- Unique hatchback design with two-way opening, power liftgate
- Available M Sport Package and BMW apps
- 40/20/40-split folding backseat; power-reclining rear seats optional
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2014 BMW 550 Gran Turismo.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range