2011 BMW 550

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Almost M5 for 30K less

by Jack from Tamworth, NH | April 8, 2014

I've traded my A6 S-Line for BMW 550 M sport package. Nobody paid attention to my A6. Now all of my customers can not stop talking about my new ride. I looks like M5; has far more power I can utilize on New Hampshire roads yet it rides smoother than my Audi. It's the best car I have ever owed. Only one problem with this car is what kind of car I am going to trade it for in few years. I guess I will keep it forever. .

550i

by mma from Dallas, TX | March 31, 2014

This car has exceptional power. I have a 6-speed stick and I have never seen a car take off in first gear that quick and it absolutely explodes in third gear! Driving is truly an experience without doubt. Of course you pay the prize for it in poor gas consumption, which gives you on an average 15 mpg. Just two complaints with the 2011 model that I own; first I'm not too fond of run flat tires and second not sure why a company who can produce the finest engines can miserably fail to come up with a cup-holder design. They have somewhat refined the design that comes with auto-shift, but not so lucky with the stick shift. All in all a great machine!

Elegant Beast

by Thor1776 from Rockville MD | February 23, 2014

I recently purchased my 2011 BMW 550i. Couldn't be more pleased. The car is equipped with the 8-speed automatic trans & paddle shifters. Other options include the fabulous head-up display and Premium Sound System. The car is quiet and well-behaved around town. The 550 is built on the 7 series short frame, and exudes authority and luxury ride when you want it. For performance driving, push the Sport Mode button on the console and you've got a manual /paddle shifting race car. The twin turbo motor puts out 400HP at 4,500 RPM and it pulls magnificently with some great exhaust notes. On the highway, whether in Comfort Mode or Sport Mode, this 550 delivers to what I call the Left Lane Auto Bahn Road Rocket. I love those BMW Munich designers! I'm a business owner and I tell friends and colleagues that this car is my Corporate Jet LOL. This is my seventh BMW in my career, but it won't be my last. Keep up the good work BMW!

Beauty and a Beast (especially if Dinan upgraded)

by Bob from Fairfax, Virginia | March 30, 2013

I bought a used 2011 550i with 25K miles with the Dinan Stage 3 performance software, upgraded suspension, and free flow exhaust (Dinan is the only BMW approved performance upgrade company matching BMW's warranty and still qualifying for extended warranties from Fidelity). The Dinan upgrades TOTALLY change the car. Before the upgrades (I have driven stock 550i / ix's before) it was a very nice, sporty car, but a bit too "luxury oriented" for my taste and I really wanted the combination of a great daily driver AND a beast of a sports car (but the older M5s are more expensive, the new one $100K+, and all terrible on gas at 10-13 mpg). Now I have it. It is a fantastic car with the Dinan upgrades.... You get the best of both worlds because of the Sport Transmission settings and the Turbo engine. In Normal Transmission mode keeping the revs under 3,000 (i.e. not engaging the turbo), I got 20 miles to the gallon driving it 500 miles from the dealership to home. By the way, with the 8 speed automatic, it does only 2,100 RPMs at 90 miles an hour (and feels like 50). However, if you want to have fun, the Dinan Stage 3 takes it to 511 horsepower (from 400) and 580 ft/lb of torque (from 450). 0-60 in low-mid 4s and doesn't stop all the way up from there. It is actually hard to keep it under 100 on the highway. It is faster than anything but the latest 2013 M5 (although Stage 4 would fix that, Stage 5 is also coming), is cheaper, more fuel efficient, and can be a great daily driver. Only complaints: - Sound System is great, but my 2008 750i sounds a little better (significantly better bass). Also, to get the Playlist option for a loaded Music library took me 5 tries and lots of research to get working since there is no explanation in the manual or on BMW's website. Water under the bridge, but a huge pain for a cool new feature (I have my entire music library of 25 gigs of music loaded into this car). - I don't like the new seat adjusters, but you can deal with it. - Options: I wish it had the Active Ventilated Seat package. It really makes a difference on long trips (with the ventilation) and sport driving with the side support. Heads Up display would have been cool too, but probably not worth the money.

The Newly designed BMW... the F10 5 series sedan

by BMW fanatic from Irvine, CA | January 23, 2012

Since the F10 concept platform has been conceived by BMW, it has gone a long way until production. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest 5 series every built by BMW, albeit the spirited fun driving experience is mildly diminished from the previous generation E60. The all new 5 series looks and feels like a smaller version of the F01 7-series. With all the electronic gadgets added to the 5, the car-to-driver connection has been compromised. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fast car, thanks to its all-new 4.4L TwinTurbo V8 that pumps out 400 horses and 450 lb-ft of torque, propelling you from 0-60 in less than 5.1 seconds; however, the "extension of your arms and legs" feeling is no longer there. However, this is compensated by comfort, technology, and everyday usability. Overall this is a great family sports sedan to have in your garage.

WOW what an amazing car

by M3aniac from NY | November 16, 2011

There is no other vehicle in the segment that comes close to the new F10 5 series. I must agree with others as far as the reliability of the first years model goes (I have a 2011 535i x-drive with M package). The one I have right now may turn out to be a lemon, but I love the car so much that I will be going right back to the dealer to get a 2012 one :) Performance of the car is amazing! I have a E46 M3 which is my joyride/track car...the F10 won't see the track but it's definitively creeping into the M3's joyride territory. It is an absolute blast to drive and it handles it's weight and size like a sports car. Comfort, style, etc are top notch as well. Compared to the other vehicles in the luxury segment this car is hands down best of the best.

great car

by brook from | October 9, 2011

ive owned many luxury cars. this car has the performance and style of cars costing thousands of dollars more. if your looking for a car that does many things great and has the ability to get you from point a to b in a comfortable manner, this is the car. great accelleration and style. you cant go wrong. i find myself looking for reasons to use the car.

Bad Car

by Kenny from Colorado | September 20, 2011

Horrible steering and no fun to drive. A real trap. The worst BMW I have ever owned. Try another brand.

wowww

by beemerboy from New YORK NY | August 25, 2011

an amazing vehicle... make sure to opt out for sport or M pack. there is no other car that compares to this in this segment. truly amazing. insanely powerful, yet very luxurious

Great car but not an Aston

by Car is my middle name, and my last name... from Ausitn | August 5, 2011

I own an Aston Martin Vantage. And some others that don't matter to this review. I find the Aston to be the single most beautiful car I've ever seen. Simple lines that please the eye in so many ways. I'm glad they refine the design instead of loop it into changes every 4 years. Oh, the 550 is a velvet hammer. A little velvet hammer that looks like a 355 or an Accord. Did I mention I love my Aston? Man it goes like stink!

Uses car for Towing