BMW's luxury two-door car, the 6 Series, competes with sports cars like the Jaguar XK, Mercedes-Benz SL and Porsche 911. A V-8 engine is standard, and BMW is one of the few carmakers in the segment to still offer a manual transmission; an automatic is also available. The high-performance, 6-Series-based M6 is covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
The 6-Series' lightweight construction makes ample use of aluminum and composite materials. An electronic stability system is standard.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
The coupe is long, low and wide and features a sculptured power-dome hood. Standard features include:
- Swiveling bi-xenon headlights
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Optional 19-inch alloys, dark chrome exhaust and a reshaped hood
- Standard tilting panorama glass roof (coupes)
- Retractable rear window (convertible)
- Power soft-top (convertible)
Up to four occupants can fit inside the 2+2 coupe and the convertible. BMW's iDrive system uses a console knob to control multiple comfort and convenience functions. The system includes six "favorite" buttons that can save radio stations, navigation locations or phone numbers.
- Standard full-leather interior, including seats and dashboard
- Standard navigation system
- Standard eight-speaker CD stereo
- Optional upgraded stereo with full MP3 compatibility
- Optional sport seats with adjustable thigh supports
- Optional heated seats
Under the Hood
A 4.8-liter V-8 is standard; BMW's Sequential Manual Gearbox, offered in early editions of the 6 Series, has been dropped.
- 360 horsepower, 360 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard six-speed manual transmission
- Optional six-speed automatic with paddle shifters
- Rear-wheel drive
Most safety features are standard, but a few high-tech ones are optional.
- Standard active head restraints
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard traction control and electronic stability system
- Coupe includes front knee, chest, side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Convertible includes front knee, chest and side-impact airbags
- Pop-up rollover bars (convertible)
- Adaptive brake lights illuminate brighter under heavy braking
- Optional lane departure warning system
- Optional adaptive cruise control with full-stop capability in heavy traffic