2000 BMW 740

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Expensive Ride

by GRI from Virginia | March 4, 2014

I love the ride but I have rebuilt the front end; rebuilt the transmission; replaced the water pump; replaced the head gasket;.etc. I have 120k miles on it and spent over $10,000 on repairs. Currently the display does not work. Be prepared to spend $2000 per year on this car.

awsome 740i

by sisco from fort pierce fl. | January 15, 2013

I just bought a 740i BMW 4 door for1.850 its white and its in perfect shape nothing wrong with it everything works on it I mean everythingit came with 19inch crome rims and a audio system rides perfect and fast NICE

New owner

by Happy BMW Owner from Westville, NJ | February 26, 2012

I love this car. I have put 4k miles on it in a month with one issue. The fuel level sending unit says I have 75 miles to go and I ran out of gas for the first time in my life. The car is comfortable and has too many options that all work! I just sold an infiniti so I am not worried about the price of the fix. I just don't want it to break often that is why I bought this car with 99k on it. I drive 1100 per week and cannot afford to break down ever 2k. And it doesn't. With my bad neck and my wife's bad back the seats are like heaven. Handling is amazing, like you are not driving a 2 ton vehicle. Fast and agile! A true drivers machine.

2000 BMW 740IL

by Eddie from Atlanta | October 4, 2011

The 2000 BMW 740 IL is an excellent vehicle. I was able to purchase agreat example for the price I wanted. The performance, styling and quality are just what I wanted. There is one important factor. Do your research. I apent alot of time learning about this vehicle and the common issues. With this vehicle, areas of concern are: Cooling System, Thrust Arms on the front end and minor issues with trim quality. Once again do your research and check the car you choose. Another point is, find a reliable BMW mechanic before you buy. This was an expensive vehicle and with that in mind it can be expensive to repair. If you find a reasonable mechanic first, you will have an enjoyable experience. The heft of this car coupled with the performance and amenities gove you a safe reliable performer. Per my mechanic, BMW strived to improve fuel economy and control weight. Thus they used many plastic components instead of heavier or metal parts. Cooling system issues come from plastic necks and parts of the radiator. The interior trim pieces that should be metal are plastic. Of course the wood grain is of the highest quality. The car still gets admiring looks after 10 years and is a source of pride. My most important advice is that all that glitters is not gold. A car that looks great (BMW paint and Leather are the best) can be a financial albatross if the core (Engine/Transmission) is not checked. Find a mechanic first. You will have the little crazy things like cupholders and pixels but that is the norm. Another point of advice is to join a car club. E-38.org is my recommendation. They have every DIY project and forum to keep your car in great shape. Also they have the hook-up for parts which you will need. If you have a good mechanic, you can buy your parts wholesale and avoid Dealers. The Dealers will kill you. This was a 70K car when new and if you find a good one under 10K, you don't want to have to pay for it over again at a dealer. In addition, their prices vary for the same work. It all depends on whether they want to soak you or not. Closing out, don't let others discourage you because they don't do their homework.

Great Value for the Price

by Noles Fan from Tallahassee, FL | November 15, 2010

I was a Corvette owner for years and purchased a used 2000 740IL two years ago. The larger vehicle handles just as well if not better than the Corvette. Plenty of power for such a heavy car. Very comfortable for me and my two over six foot sons. Great value for the money. I didn't like the cup holders and the plastic moldings on the bottom of the inside door frame easily scratches if you drag your foot on it. A car built this well should have solid moldings that don't scratch the paint off when used as designed. Otherwise, a great car that I have had no problems with since I purchased it. I do my own maintenance so the expense is low. I have traveled extensively in this car and am very pleased with it.

It truly IS "the Ultimate Driving Machine!!!"

by Landshark from Philly | September 23, 2010

Classic style Exceptional handling and drive Fun for local driving and fantastic on highway road trips. So smoooth at 75-80....

The Beast

by Bshaw from OHIO | March 28, 2010

I purchased a low mileage black on black 2000 740i Sport in the spring of 2008. I had the car shipped to Ohio from CA. The car was in great shape, but I have spent about $7,000 bringing the car up to my standards - this includes both mechanical and aesthetic work, as well as updating Navigation software and replacing all speakers. The car runs very strong, and rides like a dream. It does not handle as deftly as the smaller 3 and 5 series models, but given its weight, you would expect that. Repairs are not cheap!

Great car!

by Makalumike from AZ | August 18, 2009

It is the best handling car that I have driven to date. It feels very solid and corners like it is on rails.I have the Sport "M" package which probably contributes to the cornering. Still, the ride is very comfortable. With the low used prices it is a great value premium car. It could be expensive to fix but this year does not appear to have any major problems.

Awesome performance car

by trotter from Bay Area, California | November 19, 2008

Excellent car, especially the driving experience. Solidly built. Can be pricey to repair. Recommend strongly used because such a great value compared to what they sold for initially.

Most Reliable Car

by Jen from New York, NY | July 8, 2008

This is one of the best cars i have ever owned. It is safe and has power when you need it. I would recommend this vehicle to others.

Featured Services for this BMW 740