2001 BMW 740

17 city / 23 hwy

Overall

740i Sport

by Canuck1973 from Topeka KS | March 25, 2014

After a 3 Series and a couple of 5 Series, I finally picked up my dream car; the 2001 BMW 740i Sport Pkg in Anthracite. I absolutely love it! The styling, the performance, the luxury, that indescribable feeling you get every time you take your place behind the wheel. Now if you're thinking of getting one of these cars, you must be patient! If you pick one up that hasn't been cared for, your dream car will quickly become a very expensive nightmare. The extra effort and (very likely) higher price you will pay up front for a properly cared for car will be well worth it in the long run. The odometer on my E38 now reads 165k, but the car looks and drives more like 65k miles. My next project will be to upgrade the Nav/Stereo system to the MK IV system from an '04-'08 BMW X5. The units are interchangeable, and the newer hardware comes with OEM Bluetooth connectivity and XM Sirius satellite radio, as well as upgrades to the navigation system itself. There are a lot of upgrades available if you want to improve or personalize a 7 series. To sum up, I love this car! And as long as you know what you're getting into when you buy it, you will love yours too.

Last e38

by KJ from Pennsylvania | September 25, 2013

I love the lines and features of this car. it's oem technology remains relevant compared to today's cars. though it lacks bluetooth and mp3 player capability you can upgrade to these features with oem or aftermarket options. the cabin is VERY spacious and gets good mpg on the highway for a v8. If you can do most of minor to medium maintenance on this car yourself you will get a serious value.

Exciting car to drive and good looking too

by car dude from Charlotte, NC | May 31, 2012

I have been looking at cars for over 2 months. This includes Porsches, M Benzs, the new pretenders (Kias/Hyundais) but everytime I test drive and get back in my 740I M Series,with the factory installed Dinan system, I know I have the best deal. By the way, I looked for this car for 3 years, I found it 2 years ago, it had 38k on it, I now have 51k on it, so many, many years of pulsating driving ahead. LOVE IT! I have a Lexus LS460 for my subduded driving moments.

Best car I've ever owned

by Wideguy from Washington DC | March 20, 2012

When it came time to get a new (used) car I was ready for a change. In the last 15 years I had an Acura Legend, Jaguar XJS and a Mercedes E 420. I found a BMW 740 Il in great shape and a great price, so I rolled the dice. Best decision EVER. I love my car. The 740 drives like a dream, powerful and agile. It holds the road like the a much smaller "sportier" car. With a few small exceptions it is very luxorious, and is massive on the interior (the back seat has to be seen to be believed). I have had the car for almost a year, and it hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. The only issue with the car is a few interior faults. Worst cup holders ever. Cheap plastic around the seats. That's it. That's all that's wrong with this car. If you can get one at a good price (a 2001 with 95,000 miles for $7,400) grab it. You will be VERY happy.

BMW

by julio from | January 21, 2012

THE MINUTES YOU DRIVE A BMW YOU FEEL THE DIFERNECE . ALSO THE VALUE O DEPRECIATION IS LESS THAN OTHE MANUFACTURE, IS A GOOD CHOICE.

Great ride

by Bearhead56 from Boston | December 20, 2011

Picture yourself strapped into the msot confortable leather recliner in the world, with a rocket booster in back. That is what it is like to drive my 2001 740IL down the interstate. The last of the long wheelbase, classy car

The car to be seen in

by Squadman from Toronto Canada | November 26, 2011

I bought my 2001 740i in 2006 with 51K miles on it and it served me very well until last week when a hit and run driver spun me into a ditch. The insurance company gave me $6,ooo for it and branded it salvage. Broke my heart. That car was so fast, so classy and oozed success that it truly helped my busines with credibility. A real loss that I hope to rectify soon with another E38.

2001 740iL

by love the bimmer from central NC | February 15, 2011

smooth running super fast large sedan huge trunk, and backseat, no more teenagers knees in your back as you drive. plastic trim pieces annoying - i.e. cupholders, door thresholds, exterior window trims - all weak can't say enough positive about this vehicle, just love it....oh, gas bill is high since it burns premium.

excellent car

by bimmer owner from NY | January 22, 2011

best car ever! I wish bmw would not have changed the new 7 series appearance! the new look is by far not as good as this one...

BEST car I've owned! >100K miles still lovin it!

by I LOVE MY BMW!!! from Laguna Beach, CA | January 10, 2011

I bought my 01 740i, sport pkg, m pkg, nav, steptronic, back in 2006 with 99,500 miles. I was a little worries but my mechanic told me it was a GREAT car and not to be scared of the miles. I bought it and the first thing that went out was the power steering hose. I heard it was common. Still under CPO so fixed free. Umm after that, not much happened. I did spend about $500 I think to arbitrarily replace belts, hoses, spark plugs and wires just to be safe. I would say an ounce of prevention was truly worth its weight in gold. Every now and then, a hose would need replacing, or something minor would need to be addressed. I'd say I spend about $1,000 a year max on maintenance. I do not do the services. Mechanic said to address as we go. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. Bottom line, this is a great car. Reliable, but don't let things go! Styling is truly timeless. I now have 151,000 miles and wanted to sell to buy a 2004 body style 5 series. Drove the new 5's and its NOT the same. Then I test drove the 2004 body style Mercedes E500. Still not the same. The 2001 BMW 740i is a great car. I almost sold it but after looking at it again and again, I realized I still love my car! Don't be scared of the high miles if you're looking to buy one! My useage for this car is to and from work, night on the town and road trips.

Featured Services for this BMW 740