The all-new BMW i8 is a plug-in hybrid sports car that's designed for both performance and efficiency. It features an electric drivetrain that provides up to 22 miles of all-electric range as well as a turbocharged three-cylinder gas engine that works with the electric motor to accelerate the i8 from zero to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds, according to BMW. All-wheel drive is standard and total system output is 362 horsepower and 420 pounds-feet of torque.
Like the new BMW i3 city car, the i8 features a carbon fiber reinforced plastic body atop an aluminum chassis for the drivetrain. The car's 2+2 arrangement provides seating for four but the rear seats are very small.
The i8 is scheduled to hit dealerships in spring 2014 with a starting price of $135,700 plus destination charge.
- Futuristic styling
- Swing-wing doors
- LED headlights
- 20-inch light-alloy wheels
- 0.26 drag coefficient
- Leather sport seats
- Digital instrument panel
- iDrive control system
- Navigation system
- Available head-up display
Under the Hood
- Electric motor makes 131 hp and 184 pounds-feet of torque
- Electric motor is powered by a lithium-ion battery pack and drives the front wheels
- 231-hp, turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder gas engine makes 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Rear-mounted gas engine drives the rear wheels using a six-speed automatic transmission
- Double-wishbone front suspension and five-link rear suspension
- Adaptive suspension system
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Available backup camera, surround view
- Available collision warning with pedestrian recognition and braking function
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2014 BMW i8.
Asking Price Range