The all-new BMW i8 is a plug-in hybrid sports car that's designed for both performance and efficiency. It features an electric drivetrain that provides up to 22 miles of all-electric range as well as a turbocharged three-cylinder gas engine that works with the electric motor to accelerate the i8 from zero to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds, according to BMW. All-wheel drive is standard and total system output is 362 horsepower and 420 pounds-feet of torque.
Like the new BMW i3 city car, the i8 features a carbon fiber reinforced plastic body atop an aluminum chassis for the drivetrain. The car's 2+2 arrangement provides seating for four but the rear seats are very small.
The i8 is scheduled to hit dealerships in spring 2014 with a starting price of $135,700 plus destination charge.
- Futuristic styling
- Swing-wing doors
- LED headlights
- 20-inch light-alloy wheels
- 0.26 drag coefficient
- Leather sport seats
- Digital instrument panel
- iDrive control system
- Navigation system
- Available head-up display
Under the Hood
- Electric motor makes 131 hp and 184 pounds-feet of torque
- Electric motor is powered by a lithium-ion battery pack and drives the front wheels
- 231-hp, turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder gas engine makes 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Rear-mounted gas engine drives the rear wheels using a six-speed automatic transmission
- Double-wishbone front suspension and five-link rear suspension
- Adaptive suspension system
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Available backup camera, surround view
- Available collision warning with pedestrian recognition and braking function
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2014 BMW i8.