2009 BMW M3

13–14 city / 20 hwy

Overall

Current M3 sold out!!!!

by Car freak from | May 5, 2013

It’s been an absolutely wonderful run, but now it’s time to say goodbye to the existing E90/92/93 BMW M3. According to an interview Car and Driver recently had with BMW M boss Friedrich Nitschke, it was revealed that the current M3, while still in production, is now officially sold out. In other words, BMW is no longer taking orders for the current M3. Production will happen for about another six months for the coupe and convertible only and all of those cars have already been spoken for.

E92 M3

by Funnoo+ from Phoenix, AZ | December 3, 2012

Awesome 8500rpm V8. Sweet exhaust note with the Eisenmann system. Having a manual shifter makes it fun as well. Tight suspension while providing decent ride quality. Fast and practical. Best car I have owned.

2009 M3 Stick Shift

by Wang Man from Los Angeles, CA | June 6, 2012

Like many previous M3 owners, this is my third M3, 1995 (stick shift), 2002 (SMG), and now 2009 (stick shift). With over 400hp, it is a little slow with RPM below 3200, but the monster engine wakes up when you kick it up beyond 3500 RPM. The gas mileage is bad because the engine running at 80 mph in 6th gear is at 3300 RPM, but I purchased this car knowing all the facts, and I have to say that BMW designed this car with low RPM power for routine driving in the city, but gave it all the power for freeway driving.

e90/92 M3 the Best Performance Car Value for Money

by ase2daus from Alexandria VA | September 12, 2011

I have been a BMW Enthusiast for years and have own e39 M5, e46 M3 and 08 6MT M3. Moving to my 2009 DCT M3 is one of the best move. Having owned it since late 2008, this car provide me the most driving pleasure on the open road and on the tracks. Its sound is subtle but gives a soothing growl when you open up the throttle. The amazing downdraft taking corners with its DCT is a brilliant automotive engineering marvel. I have yet to find a car that performs this well. Its V8 is one car worth keeping for naturally aspirated car fans. I intend to keep even after the new rumoured tri-turbo 6 cyclinder comes out in a couple of years. The only downside is wishing my 17mpg average can be better. Reliability, I have not had any issues with it yet and can say its much better model year than its early release. I noticed the coupe and DCT brings a much better resale that the sedan and 6MT counterparts and I can understand why.

My third M3

by M3 Loyalist from Los Angeles, CA | July 7, 2011

My previous M3s were 1997 & 2002, now I own a 2009 M3. The 1997 was a little under powered at 256 hp, but still fun with a stick shift, the 2002 with the SMG and 333 hp, was fast, but the engine sound when driven hard was a bit scratchy. Now the 2009 V8, 414 hp motor is a big boy, and with the 6 speed manual shift, it is a blast, and the engine roar is very nice. The 2009 is built to run at higher RPMs, so you might be disappointed when driving at lower RPMs around town.

LOVE my 2009 M3!

by megacollector from KY | April 18, 2011

I've owned many different BMW automobiles and this is the best one yet. The rave reviews in the auto magazines are exactly right. Pros are many with overall performance at the top of the list. Cons are few but should mention the dashboard design could be improved. And having no dipstick is just plain STUPID. In summary, drive an M3 and you'll be in love too.

Dumped the M3

by MY M3 REVIEW from South Fl | September 15, 2010

First, the interior is awful but ofcourse I knew that going in and us perf enthusisats tend to ignore interiors (maybe that's why BMW puts no effort into leaving the 1980's for instrumentation) The gas mileage is downright terrible, but then again, Most BM's are so that wasnt a surprise either The performance was very disappointing for all the $$$ I paid. I did like the 400+ horses power but for some reason, the handling just didnt live up to all the reads. I tell ya, nothing is worse than spending so much money for a car that you thought was going to perform great but didnt live up to those expectaions. Too bad the 3 day return policy that many dealers offer cant be extended to 6 months because that's all it took for me to realize I wasted so much money. Fortuntaley, I didnt take too much of a hit as I found a buyer who wanted the car just as bad as I did 6 months after I bought it. I like the quatro audis but they are way underpowered. I will say their interiors are much nicer than the BMW's but again, I want true performance although a nice int oesnt hurt if a manufacturer spends the time with anice design. Time to look for another perf sedan. Maybe a MERC AMG if I can afford it

Owning an M3

by Bimmer Enthusiast from Connecticut | July 20, 2010

I have driven and owned my e92 M3 for almost a year now, I first fell in love with the car because of its exterior styling and the fact that its one of the only sport sedan models out there that offers a manual 6 speed transmission. All competitors have standard auto manual tran. Audi has nothing on BMW and I do not like the quattro system at all, if you can afford a m3 you can afford a winter car. And if you can't well the m3 is still great in the snow with a good pair of studded winter tires and a smaller than 19 inch premium wheel. The car drives very smooth, and the 7 speed smg is great for quick downshifts. The exhaust note is nice but not what you would expect from a v8 block, it reminds me more of a big v6. The fuel epa is pretty good even for a sporty N/A v8 that puts out over 400 horse power. The torque is extremely low, and the exhaust system and break are terrible. I recommend aftermarket exhaust system to increase the horse power and torque, the basic exhaust really holds back the torque output and v8 grunt. Many people have said that the new e9x lineup is very soft and I agree, BMW has turned the m3 into more of a family saloon than its previous e46 model. I would not recommend getting this car unless you really just love Bimmers. I also recommend the coupe, the saloon is ugly in my opinion. M3 e92 is the way to go with 19 inch premium wheels and either smg or manual is great in these cars. Manual 6 speed clutch is super light. and the smg is much better than what the E46 offered. Only complaint I have about the coupe is the backseats are terrible, and I do not like the center console dividing the rear. I much rather have a bench seat back there or no seats at all. I am still unsure about its reliability.

Not that great

by Car guy from New York, NY | April 9, 2010

too much buzz about the M3. The DSG is not smooth, as you feel like someone is kicking your neck!, and the handling is not as close as people and the magazines describe; not to mention the too harsh suspension; even for a "sports" car, it's just too bumpy. All is all it's just a good-looking-wanna-be-sports-cars and that's it. Oh, the interior? too spartan, with analog gauges, nothing that you would be impressed about... not saying that it needs to be like the video-game-like GTR then again, all BMW's have the worst gauges ever ... last but not least, this car is overpriced and over-hyped.

It never gets old...

by Yervais from Dallas, Tx. | December 10, 2009

Theres nothing better than redlining this V8 to 8,400 rpms! the sound and the thrust its outstanding, this car IMO is the best car in the world, practical, safe, comfortable, really quick and yet on the other hand it can be customized to feel like either a GT cruiser or a sharp handling sports car with the EDC, Power and steering hardness settings, no other car touches it in this price range... believe this car has one precious thing it that it will never get old you will look forward to drive it everyday even if you don't have to!