2012 BMW M3

13–14 city / 20 hwy

Overall

2012 X3

by Les from phoenix, az | June 25, 2012

This is a new replacement for a 6 yr old 550. The engine is the 3.0 300hp. On the plus side, it is an extremely comfortable car, and when cruising I have NO complaints. The ride is smooth, interior ultra-lux, very comfortable seats, awesome sound system, low road noise level. On the bad side, there is an annoying turbo lag, and if I want to quickly accelerate in traffic, it takes a second for the turbo to spool up and give me the speed. The new transmission is an 8-speed steptronic, which I think is too many speeds. BMW sacrificed fun-to-drive for fuel efficiency. My old 6-speed steptronic 550 and 540 were much more fun to drive, and the fact that they were not turbo gave me a much greater sense of speed. The new transmission always downshifts to first gear when you stop, so you cannot start out from second unless you manually shift up to second, and the car has to be at a dead stop to get into second from first. In my 5 series cars, starting from second was the way to go, since you can go about 30 feet before having to shift up, anyway. I think that an 8 speed transmission is just too busy. I am averaging 23 mpg in combined traffic, but I would give up some of that efficiency for more fun. Once I am up to speed, it is a great vehicle. Had I the opportunity to do it over again, I would have looked for a 2010 model, while it was still 6 speeds. I guess my test drive was not long enough to really appreciate the nuances of the new transmission.

The Beast!!

by Gus from Bradenton, FL | June 20, 2012

Got rid of my loaded 2011 550i that gave me problems and traded for the 2012 M3 loaded with the competition package and dual clutch automatic. Alpine white most gorgeous color. Had a 2010 ISF which was nice before my 550i; but overall the M3 is pure perfection and performance. Does everything right!! Get one if you can get one; not cheap but worth every penny!!! a pure 10 and in love!!!

my dream car

by taytay wuvs this car! from miami,fl | June 1, 2012

i luv this car this car should be the only car in the freaking world omg i luv tjhis car every one should get this car!!!!!!!!!!! 5star's over all

Safest Racecar I know

by Fedora Hat User from Guaynabo, PR | January 20, 2012

Its a great car. Worth the money. Fast acceleration. Comes with great seats, or in other ways, very comportable. You'll love it!