The 500-horsepower M6 is available as both a coupe and a convertible, and it shares its drivetrain with BMW's M5 sedan. Competition for the M6 includes the Jaguar XKR, Porsche 911 and Aston Martin V-8 Vantage. The 6 Series, upon which the M6 is based, is covered separately in Cars.com's Research section.
New for 2009
There are no major changes for 2009.
BMW says the M6's suspension is "built exclusively for sporting performance," yet the coupe offers all the space and comfort of a typical 2+2 model. Changes to the basic 6 Series design include a modified front air dam with large secondary intake openings that provide additional engine-cooling air. Total length, about 192 inches, is close to the XKR's. The 911 and Vantage are significantly smaller.
- Aerodynamically contoured side sills
- Unique 19-inch alloy wheels
- Carbon fiber roof (coupe)
- Four exhaust pipes
- Power rear window (convertible)
- Power soft-top (convertible)
The M6's standard iDrive system offers six "favorite" buttons that can store radio stations, phone numbers or street addresses. Cargo and passenger space are generous for this class.
- Standard leather M-embossed sport seats
- Available leather-wrapped dashboard
- Standard navigation system
- Standard heated seats
- Available head-up display
- Available heated steering wheel
- Available iPod/MP3 adapter
Under the Hood
The M6 is powered by a 5.0-liter V-10. The engine can rev as high as 8,250 rpm. At start-up, the engine produces a "comfort-oriented" 400 hp, which is more suitable for urban traffic. A button on the selector-lever cover increases output to the M6's top rating.
- 500 hp, 383 pounds-feet of torque
- Seven-speed sequential automated manual gearbox with 11 shift modes
- Available six-speed manual transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard traction control and electronic stability system
- Eight airbags (coupe) including front knee, chest, side-impact and tubular head-impact airbags
- Six airbags (convertible) including front knee, chest and side-impact airbags
- Pop-up rollover bars (convertible)
- Adaptive brake lights illuminate brighter under heavy braking
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the BMW M6
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.