2004 BMW X3

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Beast

by Spirited old driver from Weston, CT | January 22, 2014

I bought a 2004 x3 2.5 for my wife. The car has 120k now, I drove it from Connecticut to Delaware in the middle of a ridiculous snow storm. I've had range rovers, QX56, pathfinders, Cherokees, X5. I was amazed with the performance, I saw land cruisers, explorers, 4runners and many others in the ditch. The X3 gives a real feel of the road, sensing slip for driver correction. If you are an expert driver you will love this car, and if you are not, it will probably correct your mistakes. Thank god for technology.

A fantastic ride even beyond 100K Miles

by LumpyJ from Denver, Colorado | November 5, 2013

I purchased my 2004 X3 3.0 two years ago with 150Kmi and aside from a couple of issues it has been an excellent car. The biggest issue I had was the expansion tank. Apparently its a common problem with all BMWs of this era. They're made from plastic and will eventually fail purging the cooling system leaving you stranded. Thankfully the tanks seem to crack around 80-90K, mine went at 160K, the trouble is there's no predictor. Aside from the expansion tank, just normal wear and tear items, gaskets, hoses, accessory belts etc... I've put about $2500 in but I found the car well below Blue Book and everything I've replaced was apart of the 100K service. Performance is top-notch, handles much like my previous 3series. My X3 came with many options and included the Sport and Cold Weather packs. The Cold weather pack is a must-have in snow country. I was a bit concerned about the Sport pack as I know the early X3s were already stiff. My doubts were put aside as the ride was not harsh and the sport seats are some of the most comfortable I've sat in -don't think I can go back. Road noise is also minimal even at interstate speeds, which was a huge selling point for me. X-Drive is outstanding in snow, the variable torque-splits really improve acceleration on slippery surfaces. I've even done a bit of off-roading in it. Although the ground clearance isn't ideal it was able to navigate a jeep trail near Breckenridge where I also got to use the Hill Descent function. Fuel economy is in the extremes, I see 30mpg cruising the highway at 65mph. Wasn't sure if it was just me but, reading about other drivers highway MPGs, I'm not alone. Sadly the city mileage is less impressive at a respectable18.5mpg. It's a lot of car for the money when compared with the Rav4, Forester, & CRV especially when you only get a 4 cylinder and BMW offers a 6 for similar mileage. Although the repair bills can sometimes be high, the service intervals are so great that it still ends up costing the same or less to own per mile driven.

Miles= problems

by Putting on the miles from Rural Virginia | November 4, 2012

I bought this 2004 car used 32k miles in 2007 because I knew I was putting a lot of miles on it in a few years. I needed something sturdy enough to hit a deer (happened 2x) & easy to drive for 16 year old girl. This car was fun to drive too! However, at about 125k miles it started having trouble. It was expensive to fix at 145k miles I sold! 2 coils($2k), evaporator plate ($2k), window motor $350, window button, interior falling apart, plastic engine parts cracking $800, plastic seals around doors deteriorating, brakes, tires.....It was great while under warrantee to 100K miles. People kept saying it was good to 300k but how many times would I have had to pay for it?

X3 good , but...

by gerard from Fairfax VA | November 8, 2011

Had to replace evaporator coil, service shop stated common issue for X3. Expensive repair being full console has to be removed for access

great used car choice

by lovetheride from Highlands Ranch, CO | October 31, 2011

Love the ride. Love the awd aspect. The 3.0 has enough power. It's a nice little car. Wish is got better mileage. It gets about 18 mpg in mixed conditions. Traffic lights aren't timed well at all here, though. That hurts.

Rough Ride Fun To Drive

by X Man 3 from San Diego CA. | October 30, 2010

I fell in love with the handling on my first test drive. If you love to drive, this is the car for you. On the other hand if you are looking for luxury and a comfortable ride, forget about it. Power is adequate from the 2.7i 6 banger and gas mileage is so so. (15-18 mostly hard driven city mileage). I thought I was buying a suv but it truely is a all wheel drive sports sudan. Im compairing this to my 2003 Audi A4 which I Love and haven't driven much in the last five months. "Fun to drive with a rough ride"

Good driving esp. on rains, hugs the road

by garagegrl from Honolulu | May 15, 2010

We love our X3 2.5i, contrary to other owners, this car has power. Can race with other big SUVs. Hugs the road even on bad weather condition like rainy days. The pull is superb. The moonroof never had a problem even the CD player never broke down even once. Excellent during summer driving, wide moonroof, sunroof--longer than vans. Can't ask for more. I don't know about others, but my X3 has had good performance. Excellent handling too!

Great but not for everyone

by Repeat highline vehicle owner from Louisville Kentucky | January 28, 2010

We love our 2004 BMW X3 3.0, we recommend you don't buy a 2.5 as it is underpowered so we heard. Cold weather package is wonderful with heated seats & steering wheel. Extra large sunroof is awesome until it malfunctions and the cassette has to be replaced ($3800)repair for parts/labor-good thing ours was certified with a warranty. X-drive (AWD with a brain) is excellent in all weather conditions, seats are reasonably comfortable but ride is harsh & bumpy at times when you want comfort/luxury but great when you want a sporty drive. All in all a good value but if i had it to do over again I'd probably break the extra bread to obtain the X5 just to have a more luxurious AWD ride.

My Bmw

by Mario from Rydal, PA | December 8, 2009

Love everything but the "moon roof." It is very noisy when open! I rarely use it, which is very disappointing. I loved my Honda Accord moonroof which was so quiet that I never knew it was there. I can't believe that BMW couldn't figure this out.

GET THIS CAR

by dan nj from | August 1, 2009

i live in new jersey, this was my first car, bought brand new, i freaked out. this car is what i always wanted. anyway, this is an awesome car, great all the way! you wont be disapointed.

Featured Services for this BMW X3