2013 BMW X3

Starting MSRP

Overall

2014 X3 is is not for very cold winter

by 2014 X3 Buyer from Elmhurst, IL | June 29, 2014

I am not a car expert, but I have had issues with my 2014 X3 that I bought in the fall of 2013. While the drive is comfortable, gas mileage is no more than 19mpg in the highway. During the midwinter of 2014 the Bluetooth, radio, navigation often and intermittently stopped working. Because the dealers car garage temperature is controlled all electronic components seemed to have worked. So, they could not detect any issues. They looked at me and said your car has no issues. But as you drive out of the garage and into the cold harsh winter of 2014, the Bluetooth and the navigation stopped working intermittently. This issue continued until mid April of 2014. In my opinion,2014 BMW X3 may not have enough insulation which should protect its electronic components from very cold weather.

Not living up

by CGirl from Stow, OH | March 18, 2014

I have had my 2013 X3 28i for just over a year now. Since then I have had to replace the windshield due to chips (did not use dealer); replaced a tire with nail in it (had the tire warranty); had the washer rotor and system replaced (twice); plus my power brakes went that was related to the recall and got all new parts due to that. Having said that, it still has not lived up to my expectations. There is a lot of outside noise while driving as well as I just noticed recently the sunroof (panoramic) squeaks loudly. I really expected a smooth quiet ride and this is not it. I was also disappointed by the excess of brake dust that literally covers my wheels. When I asked about this, the dealer said the company was more concerned about the driver experience than the wheels. That was one of three dealers I've dealt with trying to find one that is good! The start/stop during long stops at a light or in traffic takes a lot to get used to and gets frustrating when the wheel locks. I do not like that it is set for that as the default instead of turning it on when you want to use it. I do, however, get 24.6mpg which is mostly highway due to my work commute. The interior dash is very boxy and I've found other vehicles that their interior feels much more luxurious than this one. Even with the warranty left on it (which covered all but the windshield above.... and also had to wait 2 weeks for a part for the washer rotor because they had to "boat" it from Germany) I am starting to look for its replacement. I hate to do that because I had such high expectations of this vehicle and friends talked so highly of their experiences. But with all that has gone "wrong" so far, I cannot imagine what I would put into this car cost-wise once the warranty runs out.

My Second X3 Great Vehicle

by OJA from Oakland, CA | March 4, 2014

Had the first generation X3 bought in 2004, a 3.0, loved driving it, the power, good handling, great package of right size with carrying capacity. Enjoyed it for nine years then got a 2013 X3 xDrive35i last year. Have 24,000 miles on it in 15 months of driving, the only problem was one run flat tire that had a sidewall puncture and was replaced for free under warranty - I have the tire and wheel warranty. Other than that, no problems whatsoever, and really enjoy the car over my 2004 X3. The engine is smooth and really whooshes along before and after the turbos kick in. And I thought my 2004 was quick, the 2013 flies. The nav and electronics take time to get used to, but right off the bat the navigation, electronic shifter, iDrive knob controller, Satellite radio, Bluetooth calling, all worked well. The voice control still needs work, or I need to work on it, but don't need it much really. Like how I can do most everything while driving through the iDrive controller. My mileage with the 2004 X3 3.0 was around 16 MPG, not great of course. Slightly better with the 2013 version at 19.4, I'm happy. Like the auto start/stop feature, makes me happy to have it shut off at long stop lights, and that I can turn it off in stop and go traffic. Ride is really good, greatly improved over the first version, much more compliant, feels more like the other five BMWs we've had before. We just sold our 2001 325i and got a 2014 328i xDrive GT and love it. Again a great package of seating space, feels like a 5-series especially the back seat, carrying capacity with the big hatch trunk, and driving dynamics with better fuel economy and plenty of performance from the 2.0 turbo four. Excellent reliability, decent gas mileage for a performance vehicle, really great ergonomics for passengers and objects, very good handling and driving dynamics with a super smooth powerful engine. Some of the computer things are difficult to work through admittedly. Searching for stuff through the navigation system can be hit or miss. Voice control is a work in progress. Finding everything in the phone book can be fiddly at times. But otherwise the interior driving experience is very smooth, easy and seamless. Everything easily accessed through the steering wheel controls, or console, or iDrive controller. My wife's GT even has a handwriting recognition touch pad on her iDrive knob! Great cars.

The complete anxiety package; piece of junk

by Retired Lady Driver from San Francisco Peninsula | February 8, 2014

I bought a brand spanking new 2008 X3 for reliability, performance, safety, comfort, and minimum environmental footprint. On 5 separate occasions the car has failed to start, and I recently put $1,500 into repairs,(valves and sensors), and the mechanic told me I should drive the car everyday—that is, waste gas—if I expected it to start when I needed it to. So, now BMW expects its owners to change their lifestyles for the privilege of driving this piece of junk. Reliability? Forget it! Environmental Footprint? Forget it. There are serious design flaws in the X3 electronics package. I would even say it's a design flaw. So much for that vaunted German engineering.

Reliability .... Look elsewhere.

by BoShe from Ottawa, On. | February 6, 2014

Although there were lots of things I initially liked about this vehicle, it's all overshadowed by the fact that our 2013 X3 has left us stranded 3 times in a month. Huge battery discharge problems. It's been to the dealer many times. They charge the battery and send us on our way. Lots of senseless excuses and suggestions - you don't drive enough,( we live in the country - everything is a drive.) Don't use the electric components ... like the radio. Really !! They even installed a trickler. Kept it constantly plugged in, and still left us stranded after driving 56 km. Every company can be great until you have a problem and you see how they deal with it, and you. BMW - not so great. Really disappointing.

BMW GREAT CAR

by Ginnie from Warwick, RI | October 24, 2013

Took for a test ride love the car easy stirring and driving. No problem with anything and it also is beautiful

Honestly Amazing Car From an Incredible Brand

by JP from West Virginia | October 2, 2013

The X3 xdrive 35i is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It's performance is incredible. It feels like far more than 300 lb. ft. of torque. it gets up and goes. With bliztech winter tires on this vehicle will quite literally go anywhere in the winter. My ex has an extremely long steep driveway that is nearly solid ice in the winter and my X3 never once had a problem going up it. If you are looking for a smaller or mid size luxurious suv this should be at the top if your list. Prior to my X3 I owned an Acura TSX, then an Audi Q5, and a Mercedes-Benz GLK 350 in that order. The TSX was a good car but it diminished quickly and had quite a few problems. By the time I traded it in I had to hold the pedal to the floor to get up most hills and inclines. The Q5 did very poorly in rain or snow and had multiple mechanical issues. The navigation would freeze, I had several problems with the engine, the power steering went out on the interstate, the passenger headlight malfunctioned. Needless to say I traded it in after 6 short months. The GLK was a great car but the interior was extremely cheap even in the top trim model with AMG package I had. Amongst other problems the back vents broke twice, the glovebox wouldn't close and had to be left open until I had time to get it replaced. The interior was also dated with very little luxurious amenities. All in all once you test drive the X3 I can pretty much guarantee that you will be driving it off the lot

Excellent Vehicle

by Road Runner from Minneapolis, MN | August 19, 2013

Overall, this is a very nice vehicle with much to like about it. It is roomier than it appears, and the engineers did a nice job taking advantage of usable space. My wife and I can haul all of our camping gear with plenty of room to spare. My golf bag fits nicely, without having to fold down any seats. The performance is what one would expect from BMW, quick acceleration, and responsive handling. The seating is comfortable, but the wind noise is just a bit above some of the others, but that could be due to the large panoramic roof. Don't get me wrong, this is not a noisy vehicle at all. The overhead park assist feature/option is nice. The numerous sub menus on the iDrive take a bit of getting used to, and that system seems to be a bit more complicated than it needs to be. Yes the options add up, but they do on just about every other car out there. Personally, I do not care for 'red' instrument lighting, but I can live with it. Mercedes instrument clusters are much nicer and easier to read IMO. About the only thing negative I can say (and this is really nit picky) is the cup holders. They work fine, however, from an ergonomic standpoint, I would have placed them behind the shifter versus in front. The current location could cause the shifter to be bumped when reaching, or make easy access to the pre-programmed audio control buttons a bit awkward. I have owned several Mercedes, a Lincoln, and an Audi. This vehicle is as good as any that it competes with. My overall combined MPG is 27.4, which I consider quite respectable. I would recommend this vehicle, but it all comes down to personal preferences.

Worst Car I Ever Bought!

by Disgusted BMW Owner from Dallas, TX | June 4, 2013

The BMW X3 drives great! The handling is superb! Too bad the car's electrical systems are poorly designed. Had the car less than a month and already have to put a battery charger on it at night if I want the car to start in the morning. What I didn't know when I bought the car, and the purpose of this review, is to inform potential buyers that electrical problems are common in BMW vehicles. The electrical systems drain the battery when the car is parked. Driving the car 40 miles/day is not enough to keep the battery charged. If I had known then what I know now about BMW I would never have bought this car, and I will never buy another BMW again.

Great car if its your kind of car

by MIKE from Savannah, GA | April 9, 2013

i bought the fully loaded. I like the car but there are too many negatives for me to endorse it. The GOOD: Very fun to drive. Handles great. Turns, hills, all easy Good mileage. I get about 26 highway, 19 city Full coverage for maintenance for 4 years. Great big sunroof Great controls on steering wheel Excellent tech package for connectivity to iphone Great rear view camera Nice rain sensors Decent amount of space in rear Good dealership service Some really nice tech advances Nice interior styling Negatives KEYLESS ENTRY: Can't just touch the door and open it, have to use key to open. GAS: Premium only NOISE: Not too quiet inside. I hear a lot of wind. LEGROOM: There isn't enough leg room for me in the driver's seat at 39 inches STOPS: Jerky stopping for fuel saving. This can be turned off but if you know you are saving fuel you want to keep it on. However, it takes a lot of getting used to. And when it is in idle and the engine disengages, you can start quickly and the steering wheel locks. It is a bit scary. NAVIGATION SYSTEM: So confusing! and the voice activation system only gets my commands about half the time PEDALS: The pedals are too close together for me. I often hit the brake on the way to the accelerator STORAGE: Not much storage space in the front cabin. No real deep center storage area. Very small and the iphone cradle takes up most of the space. CHANGE compartment has a seam in it, where coins get stuck and it won't close. REAR TAILGATE: can open automatically, but can't close remotely LOCKING: confusing