2006 BMW X5

Available in 3 styles:  2006 BMW X5 4dr AWD Sports Activity Vehicle shown

Overall

X5, now thats safety and performance

by Bimmer4ME from Suncoast, Florida | October 1, 2013

The vehicle always has you in control, sure foooted in all conditions. Makes you a better driver...Stable, powerful, easy on for interstate driving. Holds 5 confortably with all our stuff. May be the best BMW I've owned (3's and 7's) for overall power and comfort. Mileage is 20 overall and premium but the trade off is more than worth it... PS. Transition year-Don't buy the 2007

excellent experience

by seattle and midwest driver from greater detroit area, mi | September 19, 2012

I bought my 2006 X5 3.0i in 2008, when it was 2 years old and have had an excellent experience owning and driving this SUV. I owned a 2001 Lexus GS300 before buying my X5. Pros - excellent overall experience owning and driving - very reliable - nice, quiet and smooth ride - excellent winter driving - excellent interior options and design - beautiful inside and out - panoramic roof is awesome Cons - mpg could be better - brakes leave black dust on rims (annoying) - 3.0 engine could be peppier, but its still good And yes, I highly recommend owning this car.

2006 BMW X5 3.0i

by Arkansas Driver from Little Rock, AR | June 4, 2012

Great value and performance. Tight steering and drives like a sedan. Controls are not very confusing. Accelerates quickly even for a V6. 2006 was a good model year before the redesign.

awesome ride

by Love the X5 from ft worth, tx | September 7, 2011

I bought the 2006 X5 with the 4.4I package. It is fantastic. I get around 25-27 mpg highway and city. I can fit my two carseats and a kid inbetween. The back even holds the double stroller with room for other stuff, too.

Nightmare of a car

by Blake from New Orleans, LA | March 25, 2011

I bought this car used and it seemed to be in great condition, nothing wrong with it and everything was fine. But only for about a week. About a week later the alarm started going off every 5 min for no apparent reason, the bluetooth stopped woking, the radio stayed on when the car was turned off and the buttons on the whole radio section of the center stack stopped working. I took the car to the dealer, they replaced the alarm module and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the other things. Three days later the alarm started going off again like before and everything else was still broken. I took it back to the dealer and they kept it for about a month and left me for 2 weeks without transportation. They absolutely could not figure out how to fix this car. After replacing about $5000 worth of parts they finally figured out it was the alternator and a wiring problem due to an accident not listed on the carfax which was perfect (one owner, no accident reported, up to date servicing, etc...). After this was all done the car finally operated properly for a little while then the bluetooth stopped working again, power mirrors stopped, sensors malfunction all the time, steering wheel shakes above 70 mph and the seals are all coming apart and falling off in chunks. On top of all that the car's 4.4i v8 gets 12 mpg in the city, 19 on the hwy and the right is terrible on broken pavement with the sport package. But it was fun to drive while it worked properly, that just didn't last very long.

Best all-around vehicle I've ever driven

by WayneInPA from Lehigh Valley, PA | January 5, 2011

I'm partial to BMWs mostly for the focus on the driver, road feel and interior design. With that said, I've had a few cars but the 2006 X5 3.0 (non-sport) was my first SUV. I bought it pre-owned from a BMW dealership with no warranty and with 85K miles. It was a 1 owner and had been in a minor fender bender which was repaired by the dealer. I'm a DIY-er and am somewhat obsessive about maintenance with my vehicles. Upon taking ownership of the car, I spent about $1000 in maintenance. From spark plugs to filters and a complete drain and fill of all fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, F+R differentials, transfer case, power steering, brake & coolant). I also put new tires on, General Altimax HP. This was 2 years almost to the day and 35K miles ago. Other than regular oil changes, I've never touched the vehicle. It's been 100% reliable in every aspect. It has never left me stranded and the AWD system is superb in snow. I recently drove 65 miles through a blizzard in New Jersey on I78 with tires at approximately 4/12 and never once did I slip going forward. I have a wife and two toddlers and we have space in the back for a double stroller and groceries on the weekend or the stroller and overnight bags when staying at grandma's. When no one else is in the car is when I get to appreciate the handling and road manners BMW has built into this vehicle. It drives like my 2000 5-series. Ride is very comfortable (with the 17" tires) and handling is superb for an SUV and the weight of the vehicle. Gas mileage is around 21.0 if I baby the accelerator. 17.5 if I'm aggressive. I do about 60% highway and 40% city/suburb driving. It's really the best in all aspects.

An Ultimate Driving Machine

by Kuruma from Texas | June 2, 2010

This car is just what you would expect from a BMW, attractive outside, uniformly functional and high quality inside, and excellent engine and handling. The car is built like a rock, safe and high quality, yet (as with all European cars) electrical problems are common and rather annoying. Already I have had to replace power mirrors, and the stock stereo. I also have problems with the locks and ignition occasionally. Another issue? Gas milage. I get a shocking average of 12MPG. Despite all the flaws, this car makes up for it in its drive, comfort, and style.

Lots of electrical problems

by Nadia from Lexington, ky | January 9, 2010

I've owned an X5 for 2 years have had every electrical problem you can imagine. The drives drives great but the steering is hard to manuever especially in cold weather. If you are going to pay this much for a vehicle I would recommend a 5 series. BMW makes great sedans but not SUVs

Best SUV ever own '06 4,4

by Kulegos from Staten island NY | August 3, 2009

so pawerfull, i was test drive lexus rx , merecedes ml <<< X5 beat them >>> anaf room for two kids in the back , navi exelent , heated sets , stering wel,panoramic roof,its not that bed mpg 22mpg highway ,,14 city with K&G air filter

Best SAV Ever!

by Heather W from Bel Air, MD | January 27, 2009

I absolutely love my X5. It has been very reliable, fun to drive, the seats are very comfortable, and there is plenty of room for 2 young kids in the back. The features are so well thought out. I have had heated seats in the past but they never heated up as fast as the X5. And the heated steering wheel, best invention ever! I tend to get a new car every other year but this one is a keeper, I don't think it can get any better. The only way I would get a new car would be a newer X5 (or another BMW).