2011 BMW X5

Available in 5 styles:  2011 BMW X5 4dr AWD Sports Activity Vehicle shown

Overall

X5 is extra special

by Brian Cherry from Golden Valley (Minneapolis), MN | September 23, 2014

The BMW X5 is a fabulous vehicle! The high quality is apparent throughout with thoughtful touches and wonderful attention to detail. Since little things mean a lot, the little details such as large map pockets and a glove box that angles upward that can be easily reached and opened by the driver provide easy access to items such as sunglasses. Also, the rear hatch with a small lower section keeps things from falling out when unloading at an angle such as on a boat launch ramp or when unloading scuba tank when backed down to the beach. In addition, the BMW rear vision backup camera is superb, and it provides a sort of night vision much better than I anticipated. The 300 horsepower turbocharged six cylinder engine is smooth, and my X5 gets 25 miles per gallon while on cruise control on the highway, although the mileage is less in stop and go traffic. Since the BMW has a rated payload capacity of 1,290 pounds and a towing capacity of 6,000 pounds, it is able to handle most towing assignments and is great for hauling people and gear such as scuba equipment!

Always at the shop, very unreliable for the price

by Momof 2 from League City , Texas | January 7, 2014

This car performs well when it does work. However, since I purchased it in 2010, it's been in the shop more than on the road. A couple of days after buying it, the car just lost power while pulling in to a shopping center. I had to wait a few minutes before I was able to restart it. Then at 800 miles, I had to add a quart of oil. Then after that, it's been a routine quart of oil every 3000 miles. I was told by dealership that it was normal to add a quart of oil since it's a "high performance" vehicle. I took it to a couple of mechanics and I was told that it isn't normal to add a quart every 3000 miles!! There is something wrong with the engine if it continues to require adding a quart of oil. A few months later, the engine emission lights came on and they had to replace the emission pump. Then, my engine completely burst while entering the freeway, which eventually had the truck in service for almost 2 1/2 months while I waited for the dealership to replace the engine. Not only was it an inconvenience, the dealership also required me to return the loaner every 3 days!!! What a bunch of crock! By the way, after the engine was replaced, the problems with adding a quart of oil stopped!! I would usually see the oil gauge at 50% by 1500 miles and by close to 3000 miles that's when I have to add a quart of oil. Then a month later, the battery died at 35,000 miles. After a month, the water pump broke on Christmas Eve, which then had to be replaced. I was told by my service advisor, that it doesn't matter what car I buy, if it's built by humans it is prone to have problems....What??? Problems!! I call it a complete failure. Not only does the truck unreliable but the place I bought the vehicle is also unreliable with their loaner cars. BMW calls their vehicle "The Ultimate Driving Experience". After what I've been through, I call it the ultimate broken down experience!!

BEST PRICE, GREAT SERVICE!!!!

by DAVE COCHRANE from SUGAR LAND | November 22, 2013

I DROVE ALL TH WAY FROM SUGAR LAND,TX FOR MY NEW X5 TWIN TURBO, MY TRUCK IS FAST AND SO WAS THE SERVICE AT PASSPORT MOTORS. THANK YOU ROSY & ARTHUR!!!!

X5 Diesel

by Jay from Michigan | October 22, 2013

I purchased a 2011 diesel and would not buy another one. The exhaust system, and diesel exhaust fluid system are very problematic. It started at around 30,000 miles with a smell of exhaust in the cabin when starting in cold weather. It would go away shortly after, and the dealer checked it out, but nothing found. At 55,000 miles, it really started going. Dealer cleaned the exhaust filter at cost of 400. Engine light came on and it went back for repairs. They then replaced the exhaust fluid reservoir and heater at a cost of 1,300. Now at 60,000 miles the level of exhaust in the cabin in dangerously high. It went back in, and the dealer says there are leaks in the exhaust system at the engine, and the cost will be around 1,100. Some of these things have been recalled for the exact issues, same model and year, but the recall, doesn't include my vin number. Before you buy a diesel, do a google search on "x5 exhaust in cabin". Then, don't buy one.

Pretty nice overall

by oldman12 from Washington DC | October 16, 2013

Cons... a rattle in the back that is killing me. Brake dust (typical BMW) is rediculous! Headlights are not as bright as my 535i but its not bad. Its a BMW (my 9th, its querky, I accept it) Pros... Many! Styling is very nice if you ask me. I have everything option expection heads up display so with the 20inch wheels and wide fender flares/step boards, it looks better than most X5's on the road. Performance is very good considering it gets 22mpg overall. It is quite roomy and steering and brake feel are excellent. Mine is tuned with over 500ft tq. so power is always there and I'm pretty sure it would surprise the twin turbo six if it wasnt modded as well. I have free maintence until 100k miles which is great but the OEM brake pads are killing me. I have recommended this truck to someone before I bought it (couldnt afford it new) and they love and to someone after I bought, and they too love it. It has a good resale value and I expect it to stay that way. Can't go wrong.

Absolute Fun

by TN Tarheel from Johnson City, TN | August 31, 2013

Beautiful styling. Great power with the V8 twin turbo 400 horsepower engine. Very moth automatic transmission.

Great deal on X5 diesel

by BMWMan from Louisville, KY | January 23, 2013

I bought this car certified-used from local BMW dealer - price was well below anything else within 300 miles, and it had half the mileage (<9K miles). I only drive BMWs, we traded an 02 X5 - I am biased toward BMWs because I am used to the way they drive, handle, and perform, and I know where everything is and how it works, and there is no better service experience in my opinion. Having said that, be sure you get warranties, including maintenance, because they are EXPENSIVE to work on. Fortunately mine have never been any major trouble. But even the routine stuff is very pricey, so get the maintenance warranty. The car is immaculate - buying new cars is nice, but certified used is the way to go in my opinion, unless you hate money. I saved a bundle on immaculate low-mileage used vs. a brand new one. I have never owned a diesel, but wanted to try it for the better fuel economy and so far I am impressed, averaging ~22 mpg in town and some highway driving. The performance is also great, great acceleration/torque, and tight handling. After a month I am very happy and impressed - hope to stay happy.

Good

by LukeBaysideAudiQ5Luv27 from Rehoboth, MA | August 23, 2012

My mother has had many SUVS (2000 Lexus RX300, 2003 bmw x5, 2004 Lexus gx470, 2007 Lexus RX350, And 2010 Lexus GX460) wE LOOKED AT THE X5, AUDI Q7, ACURA MDX AND BUICK ENCLAVE. Personally, i love each of those SUV's (The Enclave, Q7 and MDX) sO, wHATEVER, i LOVE THAT CAR..I GUESS.. WE Have xDrive35i Premium Black Saffire Metallic, With Cinnamon Brown interior. We have Tech Pkg, Conv. Pkg, (Basically I'm tryuing to say vehicle is fully loaded) We have had some problems with the second row seats (the sensor that the seat was locked in broke in the adjusting trigger broke) We'll get the trigger fixed (We already fixed the sensor)

beautiful, but diesel trans and ride ruin the deal

by jt from Albuquerque, NM | July 20, 2012

I love the looks of the vehicle (minus the boring and ugly wheels forced on X5 diesel buyers), but the same can't be said about the way it drives. The ride is rough around town with the stiff run-flat tires. It is OK on the highway, but I would still prefer a smoother ride. The active ventilated seat bottoms are as hard as a rock and become uncomfortable if you sit in them longer than 20 minutes, although the front seatbacks are comfortable and offer alot of different positions(they even bend in the middle). The tranmission is the worst thing about the vehicle. When leaving from a stoplight, it hesitates and when you give it a little more gas it surges. It changes gears as fast as possible(for better mpg I'm sure). When turning it downshifts too low and causes the vehicle to surge really hard when accelerating. The transmission makes the vehicle feel very unrefined. I've driven much cheaper vehicles with better tranmissions. The rear door makes noises when backing out of the driveway and sometimes while driving. The visors don't offer protection from the sun for shorter drivers. It would be nice if there were cupholders in the rear doors for rear passengers. If the vehicle was alot cheaper I might be willing to deal with it's deficiencies, but I'm seriously thinking about trading it in.

Owner Review of BMW X5 35d since Nov 2010

by BMW FAN from Buffalo, NY | April 16, 2012

The BMW X5 35d is a sport luxury SAV not really your typical family SUV. It is fun to drive and will whip around corners without a problem. If you really want to have fun and leave people in the dust, shift the transmission into sport drive. For a large SUV I get an average of 22.1 - 22.4 mpg. The diesel fuel cost of less than the cost of premium gas that most luxury vehicles take and I get more MPGs, so the diesel does pay off. BMW offers 48 months of service & maintenance included with the cost of the vehicle. I really was impressed that the X5 BMWs are built in Spartanburg, SC in the USA. Prior to my my purchase decision, I did almost purchase another SUV, but it was not as fun to drive and was not really my "dream" vehicle. The pros are pretty much everything, I had my X5 custom built and it only took 30 days. My options were the premium package, sport activity package, upgraded sound (awesome!), cold weather package, and navigation. My favorite additional features are the satellite radio, upgraded sound package, heated seats and steering wheel for the winter time, & the voice commands are cool with the bluetooth. The cons are the navigation, which is not touchscreen and can be a bit confusing, the smell of diesel fuel when filling up that is stronger than gas, and the somewhat noisy engine especially in the winter when the vehicle is cold.