1998 BMW Z3

1998 BMW Z3

Available in 2 styles:  Z3 2dr Convertible shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Makes going to work, fun

by Ken from San Diego area of Sougthery California | June 13, 2014

Purchased a used 1.9 stick shift Z3 in 2002, it had 65 k on it. Now I have 293k and it still runs great. Body is still showroom condition. Had to replace the rag top once but have never had to do anything to the engine. Done the brakes twice and have NEVER had to do the clutch. Also replaced the battery once. CD player gave up the ghost several years ago and the volume control on the radio doesn't work right. I get to drive a winding country road to commute to work. Makes still working at 72 years fun.

great fun

by former miata owner from grand rapids mi | May 25, 2014

Mine is a 98 - bought in 98 with 3000 miles on it. It is Teal Green with a tan top - only use it in summer months. Luv the style and it is so fun to drive - so far absolutely troublr frre.

Fun!!!

by Sen66 from Ontario Canada | January 10, 2012

You will not win an Indy race with this car but would sure look good trying! Fun to drive on a wrm sunny day. Great value for a ragtop roadster.

Addition to previous review!

by Ratsnout2 from St. Louis, MO | August 28, 2011

Sorry, but after reading some other reviews of the Z3, I felt I just had to add some things to the review I submitted yesterday. People complain about the plastic rear window but I'm always driving with the top down, that's why I bought a convertible! I also don't understand grips about the sound system-I DRIVE this car, I didn't get it for musical purposes. I also need to comment on my own review where I pretended my Z3 was exotic...it's better than that-it was made in the US of A!

1998 z3 1.9 is THE car for me!

by Ratsnout from St. Louis, MO | August 27, 2011

My 1998 Z3 1.9 manual transmission BMW has all the power I need, terrific handling and I can justify this toy by the fact that I truly get over 30 mpg on midgrade gas. The styling is perfect from any angle. I feel like I have an exotic without the high cost or lack of reliability.

Great little car

by lovemybmw from Nashville, TN | May 10, 2011

Fun to drive. Gets a lot of looks and wows. I have always wanted one nice car to drive and this one fills the bill.

Future Classic: Great value, few problems

by Teleny from Easton PA | November 14, 2010

I own a 98 1.9 manual transmission. I was smitten by the car's looks when they first came out and bought one about three years ago as they are now affordable. Strengths. The z3 roadsters look kind of like a super car (the funky looking z3 coupes are an accquired taste) and practically every day someone tells me that it's a 'beautiful car.' The z3 seems to evoke more of a positive response than the (in my opinion) uglier z4 that followed. The z3 1.9 is comparable to a Miata-but faster-in the classic roadster sense. It's not blazingly fast, so you will not win many drag races, but in the curves it has amazing grip. The steering has good feel and the ZF shifter feels great. You don't want a 1.9 automatic and in general autos are not among BMW's strongest parts. Opt for the manual if you can drive one-trust me it's a pleasure. While test driving, I also drove a 2.3 (not much difference from the 1.9) and the 2.8 which was quick and a lot of fun. I hear the 3.0 is practically as fast as the M which is Corvette fast. Still, I'm happy with my 1.9. It's quick in the bends, although it could use a few more beans. But the gas milage is stupendous-better than a Prius I'll wager. Weaknesses. These cars are reliable with most problems being minor nusiance items. You can find info easily at bimmerforums on the few problem areas like windows, seats and glove compartment doors. The sixs need careful attention to cooling system after 100,000 miles which is pretty common with BMWs. So plan for a radiator/water pump. For a BMW the interior is kind of cheapish-with nasty carpet, but it does come with many luxury features such as cruise, heated seats, power top, harmon kardon, etc. Overall, the Z3 is a classic. Beautiful style coupled with good to great performance from a legendary manufacturer. You can't go wrong if you want a roadster!

Fun to drive

by Willie from Howard City Mi. | April 12, 2010

Great car for handling runs strong comfortable on long trip plenty of power like the 5 speed.like the power top.

A very good handling vehicle.

by SkiBop from Augusta, GA | July 29, 2009

I have never owned a BMW and never entertained the idea. But my boss had a 2000 when I first met him (7 years ago). I just recently purchased my first Z3. I love it and enjoy driving it. Mostly on the weekends and some times to work. It does draw attention!! But than again it's a BMW!!!

Power still kicking....

by Andrew from Miami | January 18, 2007

Have a 98' 2.8 model, more than 110.000 miles on it, but never has bothered. SUPER reliable... The shape still has a modern look...!!!very easy to drive.

Featured Services for this BMW Z3