2006 BMW Z4 M

Information Coming Soon

Overall

Little rocket

by MorpheusRS from North Jersey | October 5, 2011

I have to take my hat off to BMW, the car, despite being small, very roughly sprung and not too powerful in the low rpm range, is a true racer at heart. It handles like I never imagined a car could, it gets good gas mileage for the power it puts down, and it is very fast once you pass the 4K rpm mark. The interior is very minimalistic, yet luxurious at the same time. the exterior styling is aggressive and the lines flow very well. The engine is a gem and the brakes are truly supreme. My only gripe is the roughness over bumps, but that is a price we have to pay for telepathic handling. It has been very reliable over 5 years of ownership, and NOTHING needed to be changed besides the usual: oil and filters, air filter, tires, brake and coolant fluid, and brake pads. The clutch is an original unit and performs flawlessly after 45K miles! Overall I am very very satisfied with the car.

Slightly modified now....but still a Z4M

by Supercharged Z4M from San Jose, CA | May 4, 2010

I too bought mine from a dealer new but a year old and saved about $10k off sticker. This car introduced me to tracking and now have made many changes enhancing the overall original M configuration. Starting with bigger brakes, wheels, tires, coilovers, strut supports, exhaust and finally supercharger now to 480+ horspower. I sometimes really question if I had left it all alone I would have had just as much fun, I think the answer is YES. The car is very capable right out of the box and performs admirably with other comparable cars with much more preparation for track. I never had one hick-up with stock configuration, but I was looking for something to compete with 911 turbos...I got there. The shifter could be a bit better, but trans has not been a problem even with a 50% increase in HP. The S54 engine is very robust and can be driven like it was meant to. The car just tends to be fun. If you want to go to anything but Autocross events with BMW clubs, better opt for the coup. Also it is better for track as well, little safer, but I still track my Rdster a lot.

The last true M car

by M driver from | May 3, 2010

With the high-revving naturally aspirated S54 inline-6 motor, this is the last BMW M car that hasn't gone to a V8/V10 or forced-induction. The S54 is a true piece of engineering art and was rightfully awarded the "Best 3-4L Engine" title from 2001-2006. By the time the Z4M was introduced (2006) the teething issues from the S54 had all been worked out, so reliability has been much better then what you'd expect. Keep in mind, it is still a high-strung performance motor and maintenance is crucial. M cars are not cheap. The car can be civil when driven around town, but hints at it's true nature. You can't help but blip the throttle while sitting at a light. It's raw, twitchy, rough, unapologetic, and wants to be driven at 12 out of 10. The harder you drive it, the more rewarding it is. Best suited for the track of twisty mountain roads vs the rush-hour grind. BMW built a true sports car here. Definitely a collector car in the making!

Z4M: Performance benchmark

by 330indy from Indianapolis | April 30, 2010

This car was the deal of the decade for me, as I found the untitled 2006 car at a dealer in Feb. 2008 with full warranty for 15k off the 57k sticker price, with only 100 miles on it. I told my wife: "I will regret this for a long time if I don't jump on this deal!" She made me promise not to ask for a Porsche in another five years or so.... deal! And, as a bonus I found the exact color combo I always wanted, silver gray, black leather, aluminum trim, no navigation! I mainly bought the car as it's the last production model BMW containing the incredible S54B32 naturally aspirated M motor with a 6 speed manual gearbox. Now most BMWs use turbos; been there, and don't want the high complexity and maintenance that goes with a turbo engine. The M also has a limited slip diff, as all M's come equipped, to put the 330 horses to the ground. The M is big fun to drive, makes you want to do bad stuff, handles like it's on rails, is also quite comfortable and makes you feel like you're in a race car especially when the top is down and you can hear and feel the engine. I could not otherwise afford it, and will never drop 50k+ / full retail price for a two seater. But ... I bought this M Roadster for the price of a standard Z4! This one is a keeper, and I highly recommend it if you can find a well-cared-for pre-owned car. I think it will become a classic. Oh yes, it also has a dipstick! cool :)

Featured Services for this BMW Z4 M