We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2005 BMW Z4

2005 BMW Z4
Available in 2 styles:  2005 BMW Z4 2dr Roadster shown

Overall

Very Fun Car to Drive

by Z44Me from Orange County, CA | February 4, 2016

We bought the Z4 3.0i used (it had a bit over 40K miles on it) and I've been driving it to work every day for the last four years of ownership. I absolutely love this car. I never really knew what people meant when they said "the engine purrs", but now I do. It really does! The ride is smooth (so long as there are no holes in the pavement) and the car is incredibly responsive. The few times I've had to swerve, I was able to maintain full control of the vehicle. I felt like a super-driver, but really what it came down to is it's 50/50 weight distribution and overall superior handling. The styling is also quite nice. I do prefer the headlight look of the more recent Z4 model, but the rest of the body has a really cool-looking, sculpted design. The seats are comfortable and visibility all around is good. It takes a little getting used to at first, but I adjusted quickly. The soft top works pretty fast. It only takes a few seconds for it to open up and close. As far as reliability goes, I've put about 10,000 miles on it every year (maybe a little more here and there, it now has nearly 80K miles on it) and so far it's only failed me once when the starter died. We were able to get it going and drive it to the shop. Other repairs (besides oil changes,brake pads, tires and the starter I mentioned above) were the windshield wiper motor, bushings, engine mounts (partly due to an "off-roading" incident), and a couple of other small things I can't remember off the top of my head. For a 40K + miles Z4 that's driven around 10K miles a year, I'd estimate the yearly maintenance to be around $1,000 - $1,500.00 (maybe less) if you find a great, reliable mechanic. Since it is a BMW, it's hard to find a mechanic that's good AND cheap. Oil changes are required only once about every 6,000 miles and they cost on average $130.00. Currently I have a couple of repairs I need to get done one of these days (such as the side mirror motors being much less responsive), but they haven't affected me driving the car. Overall I'm very impressed with this 2005 3.0i Z4. I never thought I'd be able to commute every day in a roadster! It's so much fun to drive. I know I'll want to own it for as long as I can afford to keep it running.

Perfect vehicle for my wife

by Ricosratos from Dallas, TX | September 17, 2014

My wife wanted a scooter to drive to and from work just a few miles away, reasoning that our Lexus was too big and used to much fuel to drive just a couple of miles a day. Went to Cars.com and found a 2005 BMW with 89K miles, one owner and in great conditions in an out. Heated seats, automatic and a rag top that does not require use of hands to latch. My wife loves it, at 5'2" it is a perfect fit. Wish it had more interior storage space. Glove box is only for gloves. Cup holders are flimsy pop outs and there is no real space between the seats where to lay a cell phone or shades. It does not have a spare, but it does not matter as my wife will never change a tire in any vehicle(will get Road Assistant). The engine service light came on as expected when it reached 90K, will take to BMW for service. Vehicle is fun to drive, appears safe with side airbags and a lot safer than a scooter. Got it below suggested price and very happy with the purchase. Owners reviews had a lot to do with my decision to select this used vehicle from many small convertibles below 10K.

Happy now, was skeptical!

by ZGirl from Southfield,MI | January 23, 2013

Purchased the 200, Z4 2.5 after retiring and wanting a nice convertible, of European design and affordable! I found it all in " Merlot /tan combo BMW Z4". However, being a Michigander with long cold winters," I was a little skeptical about the used market & dependability. But, after doing my research...boy am I happy! The only complaints (1) replaced the radiator expansion tank (2) Replaced the driver window switch.(3) Flimsy cup holders. Hopefully, other than oil changes/regular maintenance..."I made a great choice" what a great riding vehicle and very fun to drive....Can't wait for spring to drop my top!!!

My re-incarnated "73 TR6

by Valveguy from Chicago Suburbs | June 4, 2012

All the issues with my 1st car---in 1975!! have been addressed 35+ years later!! This car is awesome. I did alot of research not only which sports car to buy, but then, which BMW Z4 to buy. It has the 3.0 liter engine, the premium package, Sport package, leather and the Xenon headlights. Al the websites say this is a "rock solid", no mechanical, issues car. Almost bought a Porsche Boxster, but the an engine bearing issue reported by many scared me away. The Z4 is not a high horspower, throw you back in your seat car---but it is no slouch either. Handling is great, styling is awesome---mine is Maldives Blue with beige interior, which I recommend over black especially on hot days. Plenty of trunk space for a set of golf clubs--and supposedly it can hold two sets---but I haven't proved that yet. Do your homework, and pick a good used Z4, and you'll be glad you did--I am!

BMW Z 4

by wezern from Petal Mississippi | May 14, 2012

I love my car. It performs and looks terrific. Great price and found through cars.com. Thanks for helping me find it.

Super Fun

by Z4Paul from Oregon | April 16, 2012

2005 BMW Z4 3.0 Performance package, 6 spd manual. Awesome sports car - the little "sport" button does amazing things! I have a new appreciation for nice weather in Oregon. What a bargain when you get a quality car used! I did purchase an extended warranty just to be safe after hearing what repairs can cost but so far so good - only 53K on it. Love this car!

Feels like a Happy Car :)

by Dances with Snowplows from Upstate NY | February 1, 2012

After purchase I replaced brakes and brake fluid and replaced the run-flat tires with non-run-flat ultra high performance all season tires. The ride was markedly better and much quieter. The handling remains superb and since I'm not going to autocross or race the car, I'm very satisfied with the handling. Another benefit is less wandering due to the slight toe out alignment setting and less"tire nibble" on rutted roads. I was also amazed at all the features the car came with, such as power everything, cruise, bluetooth, auto climate control, and heated seats. The interior is very subdued and businesslike. No panel full of gaudy knobs and trinkets bragging about every feature available. Although it looks a bit small, the interior is very roomy and comfortable when you settle into the car. My wife loves it. On the 5 hour drive home after buying it, she fell asleep nearly the whole way, a sure sign she was comfortable. We were also amazed at how much stuff the trunk will hold. It's deceptively spacious. The exterior draws looks and positive comments everywhere I go. As a mechanical engineer I really appreciate the 3.0i line 6 engine. It is naturally harmonically balanced and smooth as glass. My zero to 60 time will not be as fast as my neighbor's ZO6 corvette but the acceleration is crisp and the engine throttle response immediate, with a very good sounding exhaust note that you only hear when opening her up. My son took it for a spin after I got the new tires. He said that the car seems as if it's happiest when being driven, a "happy car". One fly in the ointment, I had to replace the bi-Xenon headlamp assembly due to moisture inside the headlamp damaging the electronic components, a very expensive repair.

first roadster and last

by L T from augusta,maime | December 6, 2011

last because i will keep it!third auto so not piling on milage,dont get to use cause wife leaves 1st

It's a revalation

by Old Roadster Lover from Lexington, Ky | October 8, 2011

I can't say I'm one of those folks who loves the Z4's over-aggressive and long hood+short boot styling. Quite frankly, the thing is ugly (compare it to a Jag XK8). However, I sucked it up and bought one used after test driving it. Mine is standard, 2.5 liter, and an absolute revelation on the road. It has as much torque as I care to have (I'm afraid I'm going to get a ticket soon, if I don't find a track to play on), and the handling is better than every roadster of this vintage I could find. The interior accommodates my 6' 3 1/2" frame with room to spare (a real change from my Miata). My only complaint is that there's nothing within reach in which I can dump the stuff I usually need in a hurry (good storage between the seats, but don't try to dig into it while under way). I haven't had it long enough to get a sense of its durability, but even Consumer Reports liked it, so I'm not too worried. Even with 85k on it, mine is spotless, and everything (including the great DTC) works exactly as designed. The lack of a spare is an OK trade-off for a trunk that can swallow my golf clubs, but I've got tow insurance, and it's been decades since I've had to change a tire anyway. I have no idea where the reviewers here got over 30 MPG, mine is pretty miserable in that department, but I made my peace with that before buying it. This car is a blast!

super fun roadster

by Z Driver from south arkansas | September 26, 2011

Great little convertible. I have a 3.0i w/ sport package. Fast. Safe. I will definitely keep a roaster in the family.

Featured Services for this BMW Z4