1999 Buick Century

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great Value for the price

by Buick Guy from Howell, MI | January 24, 2014

I worked for the Buick Division for many years so I'm familiar with the product line. When my elderly mother needed a new car I suggested a new Century. She loved the car although I suspect it was mostly the exterior blue she loved. I ordered up a 1999 Century Limited and it was mostly loaded lacking only a sunroof. Mom drove the car sparingly until the family decided it was time for Mom to be a passenger. I planned to sell the car but it had such low mileage I decided to keep it and drive it after I retired. It had only about 25,000 miles when I began driving it in 2008. Today it still has only 84,000 miles. The only complaint I have about the car is that the leather driver seat is uncomfortable for me over a long drive. An inexpensive mesh lumbar insert solved that problem. It has been remarkably dependable. I also had the good sense to have the car rust proofed while the car was still fairly new. Failures have included the need to replace a brake line and the water pump failed a few years ago. Also I believe one of the electric window servo motors failed. And last week I had to replace a failed resistor which had failed resulting in the blower having only one speed (high). Aside from that that car has been rock solid. One of the most dependable cars I've ever owned. As well as one of the most economical to maintain. I can hop in the car today and would have no apprehensions about driving it cross country. I may have to keep it.

great price to value

by john c from rochesterm ,ny | August 22, 2012

this will be my second century in ten years . Ive done just the basic brakes and tune up but no major repairs

Best car I've driven

by 3dg3 from Easthampton, Massachusetts | July 26, 2012

love this car easy to modify, has a decent amount of power, is built strong, and despite minor issues along the way (GM used faulty brake line this model year) this thing will run forever have several friends who have bought this car because of my recommendation

not the most exciting car, but does the job

by rebel squirrel from Chicago IL | June 22, 2011

my mom owned a 95 blazer that had many problems. when its transmission went out my parents decided to buy a different car to replace the blazer. fourtanatley my grandma had to give up her car which was a 99 buick century. my parents payed her $4500 for it in 2008. were going on our third year with the car and really have only done maintnence. the only problem we had was a dirty fuel injector, but it was because of the gas station we were taking it to. im 16, i drive this car often and think it doesnt have enough power, not an exciting car for someone my age but better for older people. my only real complaint is theres NO CUPHOLDERS in the car. otherwise not a bad car

Love my buick

by taxi mom from Brownstown, michigan | March 28, 2011

I have a herniated disk in my back and I spent a little more time looking, was going to settle for a malibu, but glad I didn't....for the same gas mileage , you can get way more comfort, and styling in the buick...looks great too !

Ok car, but probably will not buy another one.

by buick century owner from st.paul, mn | April 25, 2010

I totally agree with no way jose's comments!! My car has had all the same problems and in addition to that I've had to replace two fuel injectors, water pump, and have had problems with the heating and ac. I have lots of rust on the bottom, my odometer light burned out along with the tail lights constantly going out. If it is raining or I use the wipers, the water pours into the car on the window control buttons which has caused them to short out and not work.

Best car I've ever owned by far.

by Values Quality from West Union, Illinois | September 20, 2009

I'm almost 60 and have only owned highly rated smaller cars (honda, toyota, chevrolet prizm, geo metro). My criteria for vehicles has been bargain price, reliablity, economics, functionality, and to be intelligently green (Notice the adjective "intelligently"). 100's of hours I've spent on the internet comparing reviews on different vehicles and so didn't purchase Buick Centuries previously because EPA mpg ratings were lower than I wanted. However, a 2005 Buick Century for $8000 with only 30k previously owned by an elderly couple who had passed away was for sale only 5 miles away. On a whim, I offered $5ooo and the people who had just inherited the car sold it to me! After changing the oil and getting new tires I got 36 mpg on a 1500 mile trip, and 32 mpg in stop & go traffic on the way back. I about flipped a cork..wondering why I had bothered with small foreign cars all these years (Was because of goofie & inaccurate EPA ratings?) I still get amazing milage and it's so comfortable and safer than my little cars. Anyway, another 1999 Buick with only 22k was 200 miles away which showed up on cars.com and I got it for $5100. The Century's are basically the same styling 1997 through 2005 so every thinks it's a 2005! Even my teenage son loves it because "It's a cool gun metal gray." Go figure. Some arrogant people have said, "Oh, that's the small Buick, I have a Lasabre." ...Like I really care what they think. People would drive a battleship if it had wheels in their quest for ever bigger vehicles but the Century is plenty big enough for me. I'm selling my two toyota corollas.

Buick Century is mostly a disapointment

by NoWayJose from Minnesota | July 8, 2009

Underside of car rusts easily, causing break line(yikes!)and muffler issues. Electrical is of poor quality, the dash and signals burn out semi frequently. Rains into car if window is even slightly open and wipers will push water directly into window onto main power window control. Interior lacks as well, can't get into the trunk from inside of the car and NO CUP HOLDERS!?!

Very Dependable

by Buiy from London, Ontario Canada | May 20, 2007

Forget Toyota, Honda and Nissan this is a much better car for the money. Why people insisit on paying rediculus pices for Japanese cars is a mystery.

Featured Services for this Buick Century