The Buick Enclave crowns GM's newest batch of crossover SUVs, a group that also includes the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia. The Enclave has some features not seen on the Outlook or Acadia, including a power-adjustable steering wheel, rear backup camera and additional noise insulation. Like its siblings, the Enclave offers three rows of seats standard with seating for up to eight passengers. While the Outlook and Acadia compete with garden-variety Hondas and Toyotas, Buick says the Enclave will go head-to-head with the Volvo XC90 and Acura MDX, among others.
New for 2009
The 2009 Buick Enclave gets a bump in power, from 275 to 288 horsepower.
At nearly 202 inches from bumper to bumper, the Enclave is more than an inch longer than the Outlook and Acadia. The XC90 and MDX are both about a foot shorter.
- Sculpted ellipsoid headlights
- Waterfall grille and louvered gills
- Standard 18-inch wheels; 19-inch wheels optional
- Dual exhaust
- Quicksilver Metallic and Silver Green Metallic are new colors
Buick says the Enclave's interior strives to emulate that of a private jet. The second-row bucket seats slide forward and back, and the second and third rows fold to provide extra cargo room. With both rows stowed, maximum cargo room totals 116.2 cubic feet — considerably more than in the XC90 (93.2) or MDX (83.5).
- Standard bucket seats in the first and second rows
- Three-passenger third-row bench
- Optional three-passenger bench seat for the second row
- Optional heated and cooled seats for the driver, front passenger
- Optional navigation system and Bose 10-speaker stereo
Under the Hood
A 3.6-liter V-6 is the only engine available in the Enclave. It pairs with a six-speed automatic transmission. When properly equipped, the Enclave can tow up to 4,500 pounds.
- 288 hp (270 pounds-feet of torque)
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Optional all-wheel drive
Standard safety equipment includes:
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system with rollover mitigation technology
- Six standard airbags, including side-impact airbags for the front seats and side curtain airbags for all three rows
- During a rollover, side curtain airbags stay inflated for several moments to provide additional protection