The front-wheel-drive Lucerne entry-luxury full-size sedan comes with a new V-6 in CX and CXL trims and a V-8 in the Super trim level. Competitors include the Hyundai Azera and Toyota Avalon.
New for 2009
New 227-horsepower, 3.9-liter V-6 makes an additional 30 hp over the previous V-6 and is standard on CX and CXL models.
Buick promotes the Lucerne's snug body gaps and tight wheel-to-wheel-well relationships. Built on a 115.5-inch wheelbase, the Lucerne measures 203 inches long overall, stands 58 inches tall and is 74 inches wide. It is longer, slightly wider and close to the same height as the Azera and Avalon.
The Lucerne Super trim, introduced last year, includes a grille with bright slats, special badges, 18-inch aluminum wheels and a specially appointed interior.
- Waterfall-style grille
- Chrome portholes reminiscent of old Buicks
- Super models feature dual exhaust tailpipes and 18-inch wheels
- CX and CXL models wear 17-inch rims; chrome finish is optional
- Optional rain-sensing windshield wipers and heated washer fluid
Seating for either five or six occupants is available on lower trims, but Super versions can only seat five. Second-row legroom can be as much as 41 inches, longer than the Azera's 38 inches and about the same as the Avalon's. The trunk holds 17.0 cubic feet of cargo, slightly more than the Azera's 16.6 cubic feet and the Avalon's 14.4.
- Eight-way heated driver and front-passenger seats, power lumbar, memory settings and heated leather steering wheel on CXL
- Six-way power passenger seat and heated power outside rearview mirrors on CX
- Optional touch-screen navigation system and 280-watt nine-speaker audio system on Super trim
Under the Hood
In the CX or CXL, a 3.9-liter V-6 replaces the 3.8-liter V-6 and makes 30 more horsepower.
- 292-hp, 4.6-liter V-8 with 288 pounds-feet of torque (Super)
- 227-hp, 3.9-liter V-6 with 237 pounds-feet of torque (CX and CXL)
- V-6 is flex-fuel (E85) capable
- Both engines use a four-speed automatic transmission
- Super models get a recalibrated suspension that Buick says provides more performance
Six airbags are standard in all Lucernes. Safety features include:
- Side-impact and side curtain airbags
- All-disc antilock brakes
- Optional Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist and electronic stability system