1998 Buick Regal

18–19 city / 26.9–30.1 hwy

Overall

Reliable car

by Brandon from Baltimore | August 3, 2009

98 Buick Regal LS Very reliable car i bought it used it has never broke down on me old faithfull .This car is very good 2004 was the best year they made if you are looking for one .

Best car for the money

by Bill from MD | July 31, 2009

I have a 98 Buick Regal LS IT drives very smooth it is a sound car i did have a issue with the water pump leaking had to put new one on and back window does not work only has 34,000 miles on it.Other than that it is a great car .I would change the antifreeze to the old time green stuf and the water pump.

An Underrated Sleeper

by Jagman from South Carolina | October 31, 2008

I recently bought my white '98 Regal GS with 81k miles from the original owner, a retired gentleman who passed on to me a beautifully maintained car with all the service records from day one. My GS is, indeed, a sleeper, basically invisible on the road but with outstanding performance from the supercharged 3.8 liter engine, plus all the comfort & convenience features you could ever want. After many years of owning mostly European sports sedans, the Regal GS is my first Buick. I'm enjoying it for what it is: an inexpensive daily driver with a great combination of performance and luxury. Handling & ride is softer than true performance sedans, but with the right tires, the Regal GS tuned suspension and 16" wheels give sufficient road feel and, in fact, handles just fine. My biggest cautionary note is to do a pre-purchase inspection, especially regarding leaking intake manifold gaskets and/or a leaking water pump. Both are notorious on GM engines from the 90's & early 00's. These engines are well known for blowing their intake gaskets as a result of poor GM gasket design combined with GM's infamous "longlife" Dexcool coolant. After my purchase, I had to install new intake gaskets (non-GM), plus a new water pump, thermostat & coolant. Be sure to switch your coolant to "normal" antifreeze. A complete flush is required - don't mix regular antifreeze with Dexcool. I also discovered I had no heat on the driver's side of the passenger compartment, & traced the problem to a bad left side AC/heat temp valve actuator, so added a new actuator to the final bill (about $1k). Do yourself a favor and use good quality engine oil, preferably a synthetic or synthetic blend, and a good filter. Also, don't scrimp on the GS supercharged engine by using any gasoline other than premium - the few extra pennies you spend at the pump will pay off in preventing possible engine damage from pinging. Premium gas will also insure you get the full benefit from all 240 horses under your hood! In the end, I'm glad I bought my GS & really enjoy driving it every day. With due diligence before a purchase, you'll be just fine with this underrated sleeper of a nice car.

Best car I've owned

by Car Fan from Portland Or | January 5, 2007

Car rides nice, handles very good and lots of power. Fits like a glove. I used to buy a new car every year, bought my 98 Regal GS new and haven't found anything that I like better so I still have it.

Featured Services for this Buick Regal