1999 Cadillac Catera

1999 Cadillac Catera
Available in 1 styles:  Catera 4dr Sedan shown

18 city / 24 hwy

Overall

Best decision in a lower coasting Cadillac

by Parker from | March 22, 2012

This car has been very reliable to me and i have had no really bad problems with it in my last year and a half of driving.

Good car

by Alicat from Brooklyn NY | March 17, 2012

This car is a great car when it comes to reliability it has never stalled on me and once I fixed the minor problem like AC and back window being stuck it has been great. I used synthetic oil on this car and the super gasoline and the car performs like a sports car. This was a great first car. As long as you treat this car like a Cadillac it will continue to preform like a Cadillac and that is awesome.

Junk When New, Junkier Now

by No More Rebadged Opels from DC | June 21, 2011

Where to start? I bought this car four years ago with 88k on it because I had no other choice at the time and needed a bigger sedan. But when this year is over, I'm donating this disaster and buying something brand new. That's right, donating. This car is worth less than the socks I'm wearing right now, and I have a hole in the left one. German engineering? You bet. As in breaking down all the time like a M-B or an Audi. German handling? Not a chance. This snoozer mushes around like a bumbling, old Buick in the corners, despite its air suspension that GM targeted firmly at BMW. German looks? Nope. Totally anonymous with completely uninspired lines. To make matters worse, mine is beige with tan interior. The seats are okay, but the interior is on par with a late model Kia Optima. Hard plastic abounds, and don't get me started on that goofy cupholder mounted within the console. It broke within a few days of my ownership. The worst problem with this car, and likely most dangerous, stems from the electronics. The computer often moves the transmission into "limp home" mode, which keeps the tranny stuck in third gear all the time. This car is lethargic enough (whoever said this car gets to sixty in 8.5 seconds must have installed a 502 from GM Performance, though that 8.5 figure is wimpy enough), but when you're taking off from a dead stop in third gear, you might as well remove the engine, install sails, and get a kitten to sneeze into them. If this happens and I'm trying to evade something (which happens quite often with DC drivers), I could get rear-ended or otherwise impacted. My three-year old sometimes rides with me, so this transmission issue is unforgivable, but it would cost thousands to fix, and I think this car is worth about 75 cents. Speaking of electronics, sometimes the doors won't unlock or lock, the lights won't turn off, and many of the buttons don't work unless I punch them. Letting the car sit for a day or un/reinstalling the battery are your only hope. And if you need to replace a headlight, get ready to skin your knuckles, because there are so many sharp pieces of metal and other detritus smashed up against the headlamp buckets. The adjustors will also break, and you can't buy those little pieces of plastic separately. You have to buy completely new headlamp assemblies. That's $1000. And you have to buy new units because used ones will have broken adjustors, and in some states, broken adjustors means your car won't pass inspection. I'm convinced this car was built as a ploy to shore up GM parts sales. The motor is an asthmatic, wheezy, cheap-sounding farce that has as much in common with the autobahn as a birthday cake shares with an M80. Why GM thought this powertrain - shared with many Saturns - could take on the C-Class and 3-series is a total mystery. Despite its gerbil-ish, 200-hp output, two weeks ago, I got 10 miles to the gallon. No, that's not a typo. 10. You'll find many owners get around 13 in the city, and maybe 20 on the highway. I avoid jackrabbit starts, I never speed, and I don't run the A/C or the stereo when it's unnecessary. Doesn't make a lick of difference. I would be better off with a Ferrari. If you've only got a few thousand to spend, find something Japanese, or make a down payment on something with monthly payments you can sustain. This car is not luxurious or sporty. It's just embarrassing.

Could have been great if it wasn't problematic

by CadillacMack from Bronx, New York | April 9, 2011

This car would be great if it didn't have stuff breaking all the time. My 1999 Catera has features that some 2009 cars don't even have yet. Seats are very comfortable, the Bose system is great, the ride is above decent, and theres a snow mode and traction control that make this a decent drive in the snow for a RWD. Now the bad. Either this car has the smallest gas tank in the world or this is the thirstiest car in the world, I drive less then 200 miles a week and i have to make 2 trips to the gas station a week. This is a re-badged omega opel which technically makes this car German add to the fact this is a Cadillac and you have your self some VERY expensive and hard parts to find. ($600 for a radiator for example). The car being German makes it hard to find a mechanic that knows how to get things right the first time, and even they don't like working on the car. I have completely given up on fixing the car, I've had it for almost 3 years and I've spent almost 3 grand fixing it up so far when things go wrong. I am just saving up and going to buy something else. Things that have gone wrong that I have fixed: 02-sensor, struts, about 5 pairs of headlights ($40 per pair), door joint, sun roof, tire rod, brake system, 2 batteries, window motor, radio, water pump things that are currently wrong: front heated seats dont work, sun roof not functioning 100%, front driver window does not work, radiator is leaking, electrical problem where headlights wont turn off at times, rear power sunshade is acting up, hand brake doesn't work, steering has problems when warmed up, doors make squeaking sounds when driving, about twice a year my transmission acts up, some lights on the dash and instrument panel have gone out. I would never recommend this car to anyone just because this car is widely known to be problematic and part are so expensive, I bought the car in about 09 with 89k miles on it for 5 grand and I feel like I'm still paying for it. To sum it up: This car could have been great but it's pretty much just a headache

Cold in Michigan

by Lmb from Northville, Mi | December 7, 2010

This is the worst car I have ever owned at this writing it has no heat and it's about 21 degrees. I have had it with this car, heated seats don't work, sunroof will not open, stiring wheel whopples, cruise control NOT working, plastic cheap cup holder just snapped off, I can't even get a mechanic to work on it, they tell me just get rid of it, unless I have an open end check book.

Absolute Junk

by Run away. Now. from Washington, DC | May 22, 2009

My wife and I needed another four-door car in a hurry to accomodate our soon-to-arrive son, and we bought this for a few thousand from a family member. We should have been more patient. This car is a turkey. The gas mileage is awful for a car with such a meager engine... we average about 17 mpg in suburban driving... my big SUV gets better mileage. The traction control works for a few seconds, then stops working, then works, then works again, so, you can never toe it hard to get in front of traffic because the acceleration is so, well, jerky. The stereo is, bar-none, the worst sounding system I've ever heard. It's like the music is being played through a feet of beach towels before it gets to your ears. The interior is full of cheap plastic and very chintzy. Half the buttons have stopped working. Sometimes, the doors won't open, and you have to disconnect the battery so they open again. The A/C blows cold for a while, then blows like bath water, so I'm constantly recharging it. For a car that retailed for $30,000+ new, there should have been a standard sunroof, not that a sunroof would add any pizzazz to the drowsy styling. My favorite is the transmission which always slips. I regret buying this car in a way I can't describe accurately with language. If you only have a few thousand to spend on a car, buy a Volvo 240 or a used Accord, Camry or Maxima. Avoid this rebadged Vauxhall Omega at all costs.

Luxury That You Wont Want To Give Up

by Alex from Chicago, IL | December 20, 2008

A great and luxurious vehicle. I owned this vehicle after my brother sold it to me. He spent about two thousand dollars in repair. After I purchased it from him it was having computer problems. I spent over a thousand dollars and it was great. It has expensive parts. But, it is a great car when it is not having anys issues.

The Least Reliable Car I have ever owned.

by Just Want a Working Car from Cleveland, OH | May 29, 2007

This car is either being repaired or is on its way to be repaired. It is utterly hopeless on reliability (I gave it a one because zero was not a choice) and is constantly plagued with internittent electrical and computer problems as well as major mechanical issues. Each part is apparently hand crafted in a Tibetan monastery high in the Himalayas based on the prices I have to pay for parts. It is a real shame...the car looks nice and has very nice features inside. The interior is a bit small, so those of large stature should probably not even consider this vehicle.

LEAST RELIABLE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED

by SH from MS | February 15, 2007

CAR STAYED IN THE SHOP MORE DAYS OF THE MONTHS THAN I ACTUALLY COULD RIDE IN IT; TECHNICANS AT THE CADALLIAC DEALERSHIP COULD NOT KEEP IT RUNNING. SPENT OVER $10,000 IN REPAIRS IN ALONG, NEXT YEAR OVER $8,000-- COULD ONLY AFFORD THESE REPAIRS BECAUSE I HAD THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. GET THE WARRANTY! HAD TO FINALLY GET RID OF IT, WARRANTY WAS THREATENING TO DROP ME BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE HIGH REPAIR BILLS.

One of the best handeling cars I've owned!

by Performance from Los Angeles CA. | October 3, 2006

I first spoted the Catera in a dealership I didn't know what it even was untill I saw it from the front and I spoted the cadillac crest on the grill as soon as sat in the driver seat I was in love, the leather was the best leather I had ever seen in a cadillac and most american cars after I took it for a test drive I knew it was comeing home with me. The Catera was the smoothest and best handeling I had driven Besides BMW, The performance is awsome after I drove it off the lot I desided to take it on a rode trip from Los angeles to Arizona I couldn't believe that the car had reached 120 miles per hour in only THIRD! GEAR! this little 3.0 200 horse power V-6 is faster then an 05 4.0 V-6 Mustang and the 2003 Licoln LS V-6. And not just that the drive to Arizon was about four or five hours in 110 degree weather and the car didn't over heat not once even though I had the AC at full blast the intire trip! Over all I have to say this is one of the best looking cars and best performing cars I've ever had, and best of all just about nobody has it so everyone useually wants to know what it is and when I tell them its a Cadillac the're really quite surprised. In concllusion I have to give the 1999 Cadillac Catera 4 out of 5 stars.

Featured Services for this Cadillac Catera