The XLR, Cadillac's retractable-hardtop coupe, is a luxury roadster with a performance-oriented chassis and structure. The XLR competes with the Jaguar XK and the BMW 6 Series.
(Skip to details on the: XLR-V)
New for 2009
Only the Platinum and XLR-V models are offered this year; new front and rear end with specific grilles for each model; new fender vents.
Built on a 105.7-inch wheelbase, the XLR is 177.7 inches long overall, which is 13 inches shorter than the BMW 650 and 11 inches shorter than the Jaguar XK. The roadster has a rear-mounted transmission that makes the weight distribution close to 50/50.
Retracting the hardtop takes less than 30 seconds. Made of aluminum and magnesium, the top structure features composite exterior panels, a heated glass back window and glass rear-quarter windows.
- Standard Magnetic Ride Control
- 18-inch wheels standard on XLR Platinum
- 19-inch wheels standard on XLR-V
- Platinum trim features special chrome wheel design
- New front and rear ends and fender vents
- Run-flat tires
- Platinum version has new exhaust tips that differ from the XLR-V's
Two occupants fit inside the XLR's luxurious interior, which can feature light or dark eucalyptus wood and aluminum accents. The XLR has 42.6 inches of legroom, virtually the same as the XK (43) and 650 (42).
- New leather instrument panel
- Heated and cooled seatbacks and cushions
- Heated steering wheel
- Head-up information display
- Nine-speaker Bose audio system with in-dash six-CD changer
- Standard XM Satellite Radio and OnStar
- New iPod interface available
Under the Hood
A 4.6-liter Northstar V-8 with variable valve timing produces 320 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 310 pounds-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm.
- Premium fuel is recommended
- Six-speed automatic transmission
Safety features include:
The performance-packed V edition of the XLR is fitted with a supercharged 4.4-liter V-8 that develops 443 hp at 6,400 rpm and 414 pounds-feet of torque at 3,900 rpm. A six-speed automatic transmission incorporates Performance Algorithm Shifting and Performance Algorithm Liftfoot systems, along with Driver Shift Control for manually selected gear changes.
- Polished wire-mesh upper and lower grilles
- Sculpted hood
- Six-speed automatic transmission incorporates a manual-shift mode
- Hand-sewn leather interior pieces