1998 Chevrolet Astro

$763–$6,535

Overall

Astro Great Family Car, But Brakes Warp Too Fast

by Yakima Clipper from Bothell, WA | February 28, 2012

Had my 1998 Astro from 1999 to 2012 and put 115,000 miles on it without it ever letting me down on the highway in an out of the way place. Never even had a flat. Pulled an 18 foot boat with it and it does just fine with the exception of one thing. New front brake discs would only go about 1000 miles before warping, creating a pulsing brake pedal and pulsing stops. Other than that a great car. Lots of room, will carry a good load or seat 8. Two back seats come out allowing 4 X 8 sheets of sheetrock or plywood to be carried flat. Generally quiet and comfortable on the road. I really enjoyed owning it and can recommend to others with the exception of the brakes.

Great Van

by David from Indianapolis, Indiana | May 4, 2010

My father owned one and so do I. They run great and are excellent for long distant family travel. And with the recent rain they are high enough they dont get stuck in high water. Love the van, would buy this one but i already have one..

Great Van

by Van Man from NY | September 17, 2009

I have owned 2 Astro vans, and each one ran without issue for ten years or more. The gas mileage was good too. The only minor issue I found was handling in snow. But when weight was in the rear it handled better. Our family lived well with these vehicles between traveling and soccer runs it did its job.

Great Runner!!

by Keep on truckin! from | January 7, 2009

I have had three of them and they work and run great! Great gas mileage for a truck!!! Heat gets hot in seconds!

worst truck i have ever owned

by chevy hater from md | December 21, 2008

bought used 1500 5 months ago for part time job.it has been in shop three times now.gm should have gone out of business years ago.....stay away!!!!!

Stay away

by Disgusted Astro Owner from Idaho | June 12, 2008

Do not buy late 90's Astros. They have have design flaws in the fuel pump which is in the gas tank. It will cost you about $1000.00 to repair by the time you pay a tow truck to take it to a garage. I bought mine used with 97k miles. Another 10k miles and TWO original Chevy fuel pumps have gone out. I found out that this is a common issue with these vans. Some people have even chiseled access hatches under the rear seat to allow easier access to the fuel pump when it goes out. The first words out of the last tow truck drivers mouth were "did the fuel pump go out?" Now I'm afraid to drive it. Anyone want an Astro - cheap?

3rd ASTRO/SAFARI will miss them

by Astro/Safari from Wisconsin | March 29, 2008

This is my 3rd Astro/Safari and I have to say I am going to miss them. My first was a RWD and got stuck a few times and the last two were AWD which is amazing. I used them for intents not desingned for i.e. pulling 3000# boat hunting etc. and they all held up great. Head gasket went on current one but at 136000 miles so I can't complain. Exterior held up great on all. Only minor mechanical work. I actually used mine as a camper. Removed seats (heavy) and put a queen sized mattress in the back. Heat/air, lighting, radio, storage. All the luxuries of home. Just put my supplies in a tent. That way I could bring my boat camping. I love it and only reason I am parting with it is that I am getting a bigger boat.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Astro