2009 Chevrolet Aveo

27 city / 34 hwy

Overall

Absolute dreck

by bandit96 from Alberta, Canada | April 30, 2015

The car itself I rather liked; the styling, size, feel, fuel economy. That out of the way, in spite of buying it new, babying it, and always getting it's maintenance needs done on time, this was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. I say again, biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. It was in and out of the shop a dozen times in my ownership, and the last year of owning it out (after the warranty ran out) cost me more money to keep running then the 80s Pontiac with 350,000 kms it replaced did over 9 years. If I were to add up the warranty repairs into the equation, repair cost in 6 years would have easily exceeded initial purchase price. All this in 70,000 kms. This is the last GM I will ever own. Parts replaced were: air conditioning, ignition system, almost every single seal on the engine and transmission, steering rack, and radiator. All in 70k kms.

Think Before you buy.

by Cammi from N/W PA | January 30, 2015

Like the title says Think before you buy this car. If you just want a cheap, no thrills, no amenities, uncomfortable car then go for it. This review will not be kind to this car. I traded my 1999 Cavalier since it was starting to have lots of mechanical problems. So I was more interested in how the mechanics of this car were than how it will drive every day. For a 2009 with 47K miles the mechanics and drive of the car were good and the car is very cute so I decided to go with it. Beauty is only skin deep with this car. The seats on this car are just short of sitting on a bucket of rocks, the radio is tinny which you need to add lots of bass (no treble) I've driven a stick for more than twenty years and the shifter is lower than what I would like and there's no center console instead what you get is a little catch all under the parking brake. First gear is almost impossible to shift into unless you are stopped, driving at 10mph and under in second gear is an adventure and pushing the stick into first gear is hard on the shifter cable and transmission and both are too expensive to replace. I thought my moms 1998 Camaro had stiff suspension where you felt everything its worse on this car. You feel everything that this car drives on. Its transmitted from the suspension right to the car and then to you. It feels like your on a bumpy ride at a county fair except in this ride you'd want a smoother ride. It's my fault for not taking it for a more extensive test drive and focusing on the aesthetics along with the mechanics. I would say something about the lackluster engine but since it only a 1.6L vs the 2.2 my Cavalier had the lackluster performance compared to what I had is to be expected. It's my car now so I'll keep it until its feasible financially for me to get another car.

Do not buy an Aveo

by I hate the Aveo from Woodbridge, ONtario | January 16, 2015

I bought I 2009 Chevy Aveo LT and have had nothing but trouble. I have paid more in repairs to keep it on the road than any car I have ever owned. DO NOT BUY AN AVEO!

great little car

by Rj from Oconto Falls, WI | October 11, 2013

i recently purchased a 2009 Chevy Avero and so far I"m very pleased with it. the Customer Sevice i recieved at the GMC dealership was top notch. looking forward to lots of great years and miles with my new wheels.

Little car that feels big

by JC62Mechanic from West Bend, Wi | May 12, 2013

I love my Aveo. As a retired mechanic, I am enjoying my Aveo. Good car with lots of room and great gas mileage in the manual transmission. Not big on fancy, but definitely big on interior space. Can really pack it up and go.

Not for me

by cheapy from ca | June 1, 2012

What no side air bags?I really do not like my aveo.The quallity of the cabin and all is poor.It has those cheap control things.Thank God that they stoped selling it.Now I want the aveos replacement the Sonic. I herd the Sonic has a higher quallity.Oh and the seats are not so comfortable.

First Car and Loving It!

by Aveo5Lover from St Peter, MN | April 23, 2012

I just bought a 2009 teal Chevy Aveo5 in March as my very first car. It had just over 60,000 miles on it and was in great condition. I test drove many cars in my price range and kept coming back to the Aveos. Finally, I decided those were the car for me. The only problem was they were so hard to find for sale! Each time I would find one and call, it had been sold just a day or even hours before! So I set up an alert system for when a new one was listed and one day my dream car popped up and I pounced on it. All of the effort, and the loan, was completely worth it. I drive home from school about once a month which is 70 miles and drive it around in the town I go to school and have only had to fill it up twice in these past 7 weeks. Great mileage, good safety, comfortable enough for the price, super cute! It accelerates quite well for a 4 cylinder, better the the Hyundai and Toyota cars I test drove. It does get a little loud if you punch the gas and doesn't accelerate as fast as my parents' Acura, but definitely does the job. Great breaks which is one of the reasons I picked this car because I am kind of paranoid about being able to stop in time even if I have plenty of room and this car stops very quickly since it is so small and light. I love my car and would recommend it to anyone who needs a nicer car for a college student budget as long as you don't plan on trying to race anyone in it.

Nice Car

by LH from Western Kansas | January 16, 2012

Recently purcased a 2009 Aveo LT 5 door. Really like the little car and it is a fun to drive car. I'm 5'11 and weigh 210 pounds and find the car surprisingly comfortable. The only complaints i have is it is the base model no cruise control or power locks and windows. I like the car so well that i'm planning on my next car being the new sonic.

Great car for little money

by Bargain shopper from Appleton, wi | August 26, 2010

Great Car but I hate that it doesnt come with electric locks or windows. Comfortable to drive. Great gas mileage.

Aveo LS 5

by Dave from Florence, AL | August 12, 2010

Decent gas milage but not great (Avg 30 mpg-town; 33 mpg-highway). To get 34 or above mpg, you will have to go 60 mph or less. Good handling but not the greatest outter looking thing on the market. Reacts to handling very well. Stick shift type is very, very sluggish but what do you expect from a cheap car. Sits decent but for long trips, for sure buy the automatic with cruise control. Driving lights are very bright and work very good to see things way in front of you. Only has 2 cupholders in front under radio that prevents access to underneath storage when slid out. Only 1 cupholder in back that just makes one of the back seat passengers hold their cup. Tires rotate about twice as fast as most 16" rims, so about every 25,000 miles; look to replace the whole set and that ain't cheap cause they are special made tires with special expensive tires to match. Oil filter ain't cheap to replace either, cause it is special made and is not actually an oil filter at all. Rather, it is only a cartridge that fits inside the current outter oil cover. Environmental wack-o's at it again; thinking they are saving the planet but all they are doing is complicating things and making the buyer pay around $45 per oil change, when we could be paying only around $23 per oil change. All in all, I would rate this a decent care to good car for the money but for sure get the automatic.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Aveo