1997 Chevrolet Blazer

16.1–17 city / 20.9–23 hwy

Overall

The best car I have had

by Mustang from Wellford, sc | December 1, 2012

I have a 97 chey blazer. Its 4x4. Black inside and out. Got some pick up and go. Tap the gas and she's gone.

Solid Comfortable Fuel Efficient Ride

by 97chevylover from Wisconsin | July 18, 2012

I know many think of this car as unreliable - however what they complain about is more maintenance stuff than mechanical failure. This car has been the most reliable car in my car history as with anyone in my family -including bmw, lexus, mazda and others. First my car is 16 years old and is pristine - it looks like new and drives as new too. engine purrs like the day i bought it as does it ride too. all interior and exterior trim intact and fully functional - unlike my sister's lexus and brothers 70k bmw. There were some issues with this car - but if you werent con'd out of your money by a cheat. if would be hundreds in decades not thousands. i did replace a wiper motor 55$ at about 48 mos of ownership - nicely reimbursed by chevy outside warranty. the dexcool thing was the biggest mess - but cost me 111$ for a new radiator and 44 for a waterpump but after doing the work turns out pump was ok. I did have an ignition switch fail at about 8 years 400$ careful you can be sold a whole new tranny on this one if you didnt know better. about 9 years out i had to replace the fuel pump 700 - yes its expensive being in the tank i always thought this was a dumb design but my 85 subaru was same and i had to replace that 4 years out. so i have been driving now for 16 years and this car has cost me just few hundreds in repairs. amazing - in comparison to others -in my family - sister 750$ for radiator for lexus. 400 for new oil filter in volvo - . etc.. my blazer is cheaper than there cars to maintain. this car is remarkable reliable - its never failed to start its been various harsh climates outdoors always and has no corrosion and all electrical and systems still function 100% amazing oh - the 2wh hi - back light dosn't work - that is the only failed thing in 16 years - i wont even go into my brothers bmw and sisters lexus on interior failures - because its too many to list. they are both amazed at the durability of my vehicle. i guess even jealous. gas milage is great - loaded a/c on against wind up hill 90mph still gets 21.5mph .. comb city gets 18-19 where my wifes nissan rated at 35 gets just 22.. combined. So you can see its less than 1400 in repairs in 16 years less than 100/yr - amazing find me another car the same pls i will buy it. i did recently replace ball joints and brake sensors. - which were about 700 but after 15 years this is just maintenance. still not bad. oh also its the easiest car i have ever owned on rubber - still only my second set and got plenty left. i dont know what they did to get this thing to keep alignment the way it does and be gentle as a baby on tires. but amazing i burn tires off my other rides..

1997 Chevy Blazer

by CODRIVER from Fort Collins | October 28, 2011

Clean car with interior showing very little wear, starts easy, smooth driver, nice options like compass and temperature on heads up display, 4X4 great for winter driving. Good buy for the money asked for a 4X4.

worst car of all time

by car lover from chicago, illinois | August 6, 2011

i probly spent more money putting it in the shop more than i spent for the car. i cant think of a worse car to drive than this one. i would rather walk

Neat SUV

by straightaxle from Ohio | July 17, 2010

Drove one of these for 13 years basically problem free. One new set of tires and regular oil changes. Great Ride!

I like it alot

by Dad Buyer from Peru, IN | September 7, 2009

the 1997 blazer I Just got gives a somewhat responsive v6 engine the power you need to get around. I get about 18 mpg combind and i think thats pretty good. Its the most comfertable car ill tell you, its like a couch on wheels. My mother-in-law's cadillac isnt even compairible. We purchused the car three months ago and no problems so far! We have tons of legroom when we sit in the back seat, and my six foot friend can fit in the back perfectly. I think this car is perfect for anyone and in 3 years it will be my sons.

what a mistake

by tired of it from guam | August 22, 2009

i got this car in what i thought was in good condition. it was okay for about 7 months... then the fuel pump went out, a couple of weeks after, the trans went out! not to long after those repairs were made to it, the windshield wiper motor went out.. front & back... we've spent thousands of dollars in repair, & it still needs more repairs, as more things are wrong with it.. we've just changed the water pump.. wonder whats next...

Good Dependable Vehicle

by Mammaw from Texas | February 9, 2009

97 Blazer purchased used in 2003. Drove for 1 year of high school and 4 years of college no problems with the motor, no problems with the transmission, does have some rattles here and there but nothing major, had 178,000 miles on it when I decided to by a Ford Truck F250 Diesel. Blazer was a good car to be 11 years old.

Biggest mistake of our life!

by Sorry! from | January 1, 2009

We purchased the '97 Blazer in 2001. The biggest mistake we have ever made. We have easily put $6000+ into repairs of this vehicle including transmission, fuel pump - 2xs, water pump, starter - 2xs,rear main seal replaced, fan belt numerous times, wheel bearings now going out, a/c quit working and the rear windshield wiper doesn't work. We have 130,000 miles. The biggest mistake we have made besides purchasing this vehicle is keeping it this long.

Another great Chevy!

by Exclusive Chevrolet owner from Chicago, Il | July 30, 2008

The Blazer was GREAT! Aside from normal repaires, there were zero issues--it never let me down. When I traded--for a Trailblazer--it had 142,500 miles and was still running like a champ.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Blazer