2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Get Value

Overall

Mixed Emotions

by MikeinOhio from Cleveland, Ohio | March 3, 2015

I am the second owner of a 2002 Z28, which was purchased and serviced it's whole life at the same dealer. I'm told it was elderly lady owned, I have no reason to doubt that given its mileage at my acquisition was less than 40k. Not bad for a 12 year old car. I saw the car on line, I went out, test drove it, and within 4 hours I owned it. It's a pretty nice car, but after 11 months of ownership I must say I would never buy another one, and in many ways I'm sorry I bought this one. Oh it's enough fun, but it's amazingly dated. The front and back end look eerily like a Chrysler Sebring. The seats are very basic. The instruments are pretty cool, but the dash is dated. It has the Monsoon stereo, but it's not as good as I would have hoped. It fits one CD-no auxiliarry plug, no bluetooth, no GPS, no computer screen. It's pretty comfortable for trips lasting about 2-3 hours, after that, it's uncomfortable. Forget the back seat unless your passengers are in 1st and 4th grade. There's plenty of storage, but not much of that can be hidden from view. Handling and suspension is lumbering and heavy, but effective.. I owned a Crown Vic Police Interceptor which handled much better than my Z-28. The ride is harsh on city streets and bumps. The seating position is low-if you have bad knees or a bad back, forget it. And the seats are not comfortable, they are shamefully basic. I believe I said that already, but it's worth repeating. The doors are way too long to get into anything other than the broadest of parking spaces. They're heavy, so don't let the wind catch it if your foot is on the pavement. If you have the stock tires and wheels and expect to drive this in the winter, be forwarned. The width of the stock wheels is 8", but dedicated snows only come in 7.5" widths. And if you plan on driving this car in the winter, you need to get four snows. If you try and use anything else-well, I'll just say nothing says traction like a rear wheel drive 2 door coupe with a rocket engine. Which brings me to the cars only amazing part-the LS1 engine. I have owner nearly 30 cars in my life time, everything from puddle jumpers to 3/4 ton vans. The Z28 has, without a doubt, hands down, without question, the finest, most responsive and smoothest engine I have ever experiences. In a straight line, this car is ridiculously fast. It's exhillerating, amazing, fantastically fun. Unfortunate, given the rest of the car, it only took me about 3 weeks to tell my friends--"If I'm going to drive around with a Corvette engine, I want the whole Corvette, not this thing." Final say-it was fun for a few months-now it's a boring, lumbering, dated and not that sexy of a car.

Last of a generation

by Camaro Man from Midwest | May 16, 2014

The 35th anniversary of Camaro's debut. There was a 35th Anniversary Package available. The SS and Z-28 models were more performance oriented. Back seat passengers: too bad, so sad.

Most beautiful car on the road

by Big Dumb Swede from Marshall VA | December 2, 2013

I've been wanting one since this model came out in 1995. 2002 was the last year for Camaros until redesgned in 2008. Every line of the car is beautiful; even the rear view mirrors and spoiler are not "tacked on" but are integrated into the design lines. With a 6 speed manual and V8 engine It has way more power than I need and it's taking a while to get used to, but it's wonderful. I hope to drive it for the rest of my life.

very happy with new car

by laurensz28 from easthampton ma | October 15, 2013

dealer was great beautiful well kept 2002 chevrolet z28 camaro converiable. very satisfied with the car and the dealer very good family dealer.

FIrst Car, Great Pick.

by FIrst Car guy from Long Island, NY | July 29, 2013

This is the first car I have ever owned. I have the v6 and it is a great car to learn how to drive in. This car has excellent handling and is a great beginner car. It has enough power to have fun in, but not too much for a first time driver. This car is somewhat difficult to see out of, but I feel like that has improved my space judgment.

Best Bang for the Buck Sporty Convertible

by Convertible Sports Car from Michigan | April 7, 2013

I have owned several Camaros and have yet to find a lemon. The 1998-2002 LS1 engines are super reliable, fast and a lot of fun! Would recommend the V8 for adult (mature) drivers and the V6 for younger ones! Great car for the money! Convertible is even more fun in the sun.

Top of the Line Special

by Pony Car Fan from Austin, Tx | March 16, 2013

I never thought I'd be able to replace the 2000 Camaro I lost when a drunk driver destroyed it in my driveway, but luckily, I was wrong. After extensive on-line research, I found a 2002 Z28 with fewer than 60,000 miles that runs like a top and looks like a dream, complete with all the bells and whistles. My mechanic was very happy with my find. Since it's the 35th Special Edition, it's even more of a collector's item. The radio controls on the steering wheel are great, as are the Bose speakers. I love the pick-up and the power of the car, and I love the grounded feeling of the wide wheel base. I couldn't be happier.

Value and Reliability in a Camaro

by Car Guy from St. Louis | December 20, 2012

I just purchased a 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro Coupe. This is an awesome car. I got the automatic though I would have preferred a 6 speed manual but it is still a lot of fun to drive. The LS1 engine puts out 325 HP and is surprisingly quick. The SLP exhaust puts out a nice rumble not a roar. The front end styling is classic, especially with the limited edition graphics. The front interior is roomy, the back for kids only. There were only 3,369 Anniversary editions built and they are all Red, but hey, that's my favorite color.

Sweet

by Muscle car lover from Noblesville, IN | December 5, 2011

Bought this on cars.com for my 15 year old son. I am glad he is not driving on his own yet, because I love it!! It has such a great rumble, spacious comfy seats, nice bucket seats in back.. actually pretty big car. LOVE IT!

2002 Camaro Convertible

by Jim-Tara from Eustis, Florida | July 16, 2011

I have personally owned 48 cars in my lifetime and the 2002 Camaro Convertible 3.8V6 is by far the most overall economical car I have ever had. After owning this vehicle for 8 years without any mechanical problems just routine maintenance I just sold it and miss it already.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Camaro