1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

$232–$5,132

23–25 city / 32.8–37.2 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

I am going to kill this car someday, but not today

by Overkill from Richmond, VA | August 6, 2013

This is my first car. I bought it for $1200 with 196,000 miles on it. 2,000 miles later, and Pojie (Piece Of Junk Isn't 'E) and I have had quite a few adventures. We've made two 400 mile trips on 3/4 of a tank of gas, averaging about 36 MPG with 4 adults in the car and bags. We've gone off-roading, and gone through mud holes that my buddies in their 4x4's got stuck in. We've gone through city traffic and the boonies, and no matter what, this car has never failed me. It's been used more than once to tow trailers, and has hauled at least 1500 pounds (GM recommends no more than 1000) with the 2.2L (GM says never tow with a 2.2 L engine) and a 3-speed automatic transmission (GM says never tow with a three-speed automatic) at 60 and 70mph (U-haul does not recommmend speeds above 45 MPH)

First & worst car.

by Jenn from eau Claire, wi | March 12, 2012

This was the first car I've ever owned, and it was absolutely terrible. I bought it when it had 127,000 miles on it, and within a month the ingition had to be changed, the computer, and the clutch. It has 130,000 miles now and is in the scrap yard because it wasn't worth the money to fix it, it was a piece of junk.

212,000+miles

by 212,000milessofar from Phoenix,AZ | February 27, 2011

In the 14 years I have had the car, the most it has ever cost me was for replacing the A/C. Other costs have simply been maintenance (oil changes and tires). It started life in PA when I still worked and has made the cross-country trip 5 times with no need for repairs during or after the trip.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by GiGi from Dallas, TX | February 7, 2011

I purchased my Cavalier brand new, in October 1996. She had only 15 miles on her at the time. Flash forward to February 2011, and she is still going strong, now with 287,000 miles. YES, I said 287,000 miles. In the 15 years I have owned this car, I have had very minimal problems at all. I have been the only driver, and with regular oil changes and maintenance I have had little to no issues whatsover. This has truly been a great car for me all these years.

Very average car

by have one from Grand Haven, MI | February 8, 2010

Bought with 104,000 miles on it. Within a month had the starter go out. When the oil was changed found the transmission fluid level low which was because of a leak in the master cylinder. Six months later had the oxygen sensor go out which needed to be replaced. And currently the headlight switch is broken. I have definitely put MUCH more into this car than it's worth.

nice, but had troubles

by used to have one from Daphne,AL | December 13, 2008

i used to have this exact car, model make and year. it was a nice car however the more you put the top down on it, it starts to rip apart around the window area..after a while, i had to drive with a towel in my car at all times, in case it rained....

Great car for a low price

by Cavalier_enthusiast from New Martinsville, WV | July 23, 2008

I bought my 1997 Cavalier from a family member for $400. It had 98,000 miles on it. I have had zero problems with the car since i bought it in May of 2006. Great gas mileage, easy to drive, and low maintenance. With the 5 speed manual, I spend about $70 less on gas each month than my wife does in her Jeep Cherokee.

Very dependable...get a lot for your money

by bowling man from New York, NY | April 27, 2007

Runs great. The interior designing could use a little upgrade, but otherwise it's a fantastic car. Very reliable -- I never questioned whether it would be able to get me from point A to point B. I personally think the sportier versions are actually among the more stylish cars on the road.

Very Little Trouble from this Vehicle

by MsMeka from Pontiac, MI | August 29, 2006

I have owned my Cavalier for seven years and I've only had to make minimal repairs. It is really a great buy for the money.

Common Car, Standout Ride

by Atomic Frog from Omaha. Nebraska | July 27, 2006

I own a 1997 Z24 with the DOHC 2.4L and a 5-speed tranny. The tires are 205/55/16's, and do an excellent job in terms of competent and stable handling, as well as all-weather traction (depending on the tires of course). I have had this car throughout my undergraduate career, and it will hopefully last me through law school. I bought the car with ~ 55k on the odometer, and presently have just under 70k. In that time, I have had to replace the normal slew of parts that one would expect (brake pads, wheel bearing, and o2 sensors). The one nasty repair I had to do was replacing the water pump, which cost a pretty penny because most of the engine needs to be removed just to reach it. However, general maintenance and interior fit and finish have been great, and overall it has proven to be surprisingly well-built car. I tend to average around 24 mpg with mostly city driving, but have bumped it up to about 30mpg with mixed highway miles. This car has carried everything from people to bicycles, with nary a hic-up/ and I couldn't be happier.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Cavalier