1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Worse than a Clunker

by Mee from | November 9, 2011

The transmission slips, the a/c doesn't work, the struts are shot, the driver window doesn't roll down, the right rear door doesn't open at all, the trunk doesn't open, it burns oil, gets the mpg of an old SUV, rides like a roller coaster, sounds like a school bus, looks like a pile of rusty sheet metal, and unfortunately it still gets us from point A to point B.

First car I got from a dealer, and I love it

by Mrfixit2882 from Seattle Wa | May 29, 2011

I owned the coupe version of this model year. Unfortunetly it was involved in an accident and I no longer have it, but I loved it. It looks great, it was fun to drive, and I never had any problems losing it in the parking lot. The 2.4L motor was just enough motor for me to use it as a daily driver with good gas milage and still be able to have fun driving, which is very important to me. I did experiance with an electrical issue that I was not able to resolve befor it was hit. I was not able to track down a short in the night driving light system, dispite the fact that I replaced every relay I could find, as well as the dimmer switch. All I have to say, when your looking at a J-body Cavalier, (Thats what this body style is called) make sure all the electrical componenets function correctly. As well as looking over all the wiring you can find to be sure there is no abnormal wear-and-tear or damage. But that was the only issue I ever had with it. In short, I still would recomend this car to anyone, and I'm hoping to be able to get ahold of another one with a 5-speed instead of an AUTO sometime soon.

Super reliable with great gas mileage.

by JK## from Minneapolis, MN | September 23, 2010

I have the convertible and it always starts right up, even in cold weather. Gets excellent gas mileage and looks sharp. The seats could be more comfortable, but that is my only complaint.

I Love It!

by Josie's Convertible from Talladega, AL | May 27, 2010

This was my car. The only reason I traded was I needed a larger car. This cute convertible gets great gas mileage, has a great ride and you can park it anywhere. It rides great on the road and handles very well. It was a hard decision to let go of it and it deserves a good home.

Awesome car

by Cavalier lover from Kalamazoo, MI | February 18, 2010

This is the second cavalier I have owned...I bought it used in 2001 and owned it until it was totaled in 2009 I put almost 100,000 miles on it (total of 131,000, got it at 33,000). I had to put almost no money into it over those 7 years. One brake job at $700... the rest was oil changes...if not for the accident I would drive it until the wheels fell off...heck, I might even buy this one...

Great First Car!!!

by C.W. from Columbia, TN | December 30, 2009

I bought my 1998 cavalier base coupe used 2 years ago with 85,550 miles on it and it currently has 104,000. The only thing that has gone wrong with it was a water pump went out around 100,000 miles but it was an easy fix. This car is great for a commuter car and the 2.2 engine is surpisingly peppy!! I installed an aftermarket tachometer so I could keep up with my engine revs and ive come to find out that the car has plenty of torque around 2,000 rpm! I average around 36 mpg during the summer and around 32 even in the freezing winter months!!! The car is also built with very strong material! I was involved in a low speed crash this past fall (15 mph) where I accidentally rear ended someone and absolutely NOTHING happened to my car! However the altima I hit had some pretty bad damage. It was definitely a chevy win :p The speakers in the car are not too shabby either :) This car is just an all around awesome car and I would recommend it to anyone!!! Im looking forward to the many many more years I will have with this car!!

1998 cav z24

by s. from Indianapolis, IN | July 25, 2009

I was fooled into buying this car, thinking it was a great looking cavalier. This is the problem year of this car. I would not recommend buying this unless you want to put a new motor and transmission into it. Seriously, this vehicle is not worth, I would have valued this information before I purchased it a year ago. Waste of money and time.

GREAT CAR

by TWIZTED Z24 from CHARLOTTE NC | September 5, 2008

HOW ELSE CAN I SAY IT. IVE OWNED THIS CAR FOR 4 YEARS NOW AND IT HAS BEEN THE BEST MOST RELIABLE AND FUN TO DRIVE CAR IVE EVER BEEN IN!

2.4L very reliable

by M A Anderson from MN | June 15, 2008

I bought this car brand new back in 1998. I currently have 177,240 miles on it. Original tranny and engine. I have not had to do any major repairs. Just maintenance. This car is great. Much much better than my wifes 2002 Malibu. I am suprisingly impressed with this Cavalier. I am sure this engine will outlast the body. I am getting some rust on the bottom of the doors. I just sand them down with my dremmel and hit it with a coat of rustoleum!!

Nice Car

by car User from tucson, az | April 22, 2008

This is a nice car, i was really surprised at how well it is doing. It is my wife's car and she likes it a lot. it has a lot of options, very easy to use and is really realiable. Not to mention the price on the car, that is awesome. I enjoy the get up and go the car has, very responsive, even though it is just a little 115 hp engine. Really grabs a gear and goes. It has the 4 speed auto transmission and that is a great transmission, it finds a gear and holds it, no real gear hunting. also again very responsive and will drop into that gear you need.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Cavalier