2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

Available in 6 styles:  2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

2005 Cobalt

by Spend thrift from Marina, California | September 1, 2012

This car is seven years old with 88K miles but is as clean as a new car, in fact it still seems like a new car ecsept for the radio buttons and a missing plastic cover on the back part of the child seat strap attachment. I payed blue book value, got a two year warranty, and put in a new radio for $500 and am very happy with the car. I get a good 30 mpg commuting to work and 42 on the highway so I feel I have an edge on rising gas prices. The car has security features that can get annoying at times- the horn with honk if you open the door "out of secuence" so you have to have the key fob or else! It is a midsize feel to it where as a Ford focus feels like a minisized compact car. Overall no problems yet and if it is like the Cavalier I owned prevously it should have a very good engine reliability and go to the Cavalier's 142K mileage. I expect to own the car for ten years - 100K miles with only ecessory engine parts ( like altinator, battory) that will need replacing.

Very disappointing

by Butterfly1 from | June 21, 2012

I bought the 2005 Cobalt brand new, I loved it at first - we even took a long road trip in it. But at only 30,000 miles the electrical system started to fail after several attempts to repair and lots of money I gave up and traded it in. I was so dissappointed because I loved this car until this problem arose. The power steering, brakes, and transmission would all go out randomly and dealer could never find the exact problem to fix it. They kept telling me it was a failure in the electrical and computer system. It made the car unsafe and I was afraid to drive it anymore.

Reliable car for my college daughter

by Chevy Lover from Oneonta, NY | November 14, 2011

Purchased this car in aug. of this year.........so far so good. Car is solid, great on gas, and seems to be a great value for the money.

Best fircar I've owned

by dirt bike rider from las vegas | October 21, 2011

Great car bought it at 40k now over 108k and still going strong. Never had any problems always started, no problems, never replaced anything (other then fluids, filters and tires the normal stuff) Never going to trade it in. BEST car for your money! I used a wix air filter with a new oil change (normal oil no sythetic) drove from nm to nv over 600 miles and I got 40-50 mpg. Only about $55 of gas at $3.50 a gallon!

Love This Car!!

by Cobalt Lover from Scotsdale, AZ | October 19, 2011

I have had this car for a little over 3 years and I still love it! Very reliable, have had no problems (minus a recall notice that Chev fixed very quickly). The turn radius is awesomely tight and it has some good speed to it for a 4 cyl. Being in Scottsdale, AZ, one very noticeable comfort is the veryy good air conditioning. My only two complaints would be seat comfort (easily fixed with some cheap seat covers) and that it loses quite a bit of speed while going up really steep hills. Nothing too major and I recommend this car to EVERYONE!! I still enjoy driving it! Bought it with 3000 miles and it now had 32000 miles. Still running GREAT!

The Best First Car

by LoveMyCobalt from Windber, PA | July 22, 2011

I've loved this car from the beginning...it has never let me down yet. I've had no problems in the 14 months I've had it and it really is a nice car. The style both inside and out is very clean cut and leather interior is a nice option. Very easy-to-use controls are helpful too. It gets great gas mileage and is very fun to ride around in. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone because it is worth the buy.

worst car i have ever owned

by want a new car from Bel Air, MD | July 12, 2011

Purchased brand new May 2006 1st year was great since then I have gone through 5 keyless entries, 3 sets of struts, catalytic converter, gear shifter (due to key not being released) had to have the car electrical system rewired and now have a !25,000 miles on it and GM says nothing wrong with what I have gone through. Oh yeah and because a key will not work the trunk chev. dealer says needs a new cylinder for several hundred dollars. Would not recomend to my worst enemy.

It Does Its Job.

by (InsertNickname Here) from Ohio | May 21, 2011

I bought a new 2005 Chevy Cobalt four-door Sedan Base Model in August of 2005 and owned the vehicle until May 16th, 2011 when I traded it in. This automobile is perfectly average with respect to comfort, the legroom is pretty good. The only negatives with respect to comfort are (from what my passengers had told me) the backseat experience is not at all enjoyable in this vehicle, and the seats are incredibly uncomfortable for long trips. I don't know what's going on with the passenger side headrest, but it kind of dips down on top for whatever reason (has always been that way), and while that didn't interfere with me in anyway, my wife hated it. Finally, within the last year, the air conditioner started leaking onto the passenger side floor. That wasn't really a big enough deal to pay to have it fixed. The car performs well-enough. It accelerates really well most of the time, but trying to convince it to maintain highway speeds up a steep hill is very difficult; you pretty much have to stand on the gas pedal. The automobile handles quite nicely and has an impressively tight turning radius, you can park it in places/situations that defy the laws of physics. The uphill acceleration is a serious pain, though, it shouldn't be that difficult for such a light car. I will admit that there is nothing inherently wrong with the exterior styling, but it is completely uninspired. I made sure my car had the rear spoiler because, otherwise, there is absolutely nothing that would ever draw anyone's attention to this automobile. I think even economy cars should have something inspired and unique about them. I traded in the Cobalt for a PT Cruiser, and it is beautiful!!! The interior design is average. I mentioned that passenger side headrest. I don't know what the problem with the ignition was, but sometimes the key would get stuck and you'd have to throw it back into park half a million times and keep trying until it would eventually dislodge. Strangely, that didn't happen all of the time, just when it chose to happen. Also, the position of the steering wheel had nothing to do with it, only depressing the shifter knob and throwing it into park harder did anything about it. Ultimately, I'd give the front seats five stars and the back seats 1 star (ignoring the key issue which happened after about four years of owning it), so we'll call it three stars. This car offers tremendous value for the money. I hit a deer and had some repairs associated with that, but the only out of the ordinary repairs that I had to make on this automobile in almost six years were that I had to replace a vent-valve assembly and I had to replace a relay for the fuel pump. The anti-rolling bar needed replaced (audible clank over potholes and while braking around turns), but that's non-essential. I went about a year without re-setting my MPG monitor before trading it in, and with an even split of city/highway I was at 29.8, so nice value there. As stated, only the vent-valve assembly and that relay absolutely needed done, and the automobile had been driven for 104,000 miles. That's excellent reliability. Ultimately, I could have replaced the anti-rolling bar, arm bushings, figured out why the AC leaked, and why the key always got stuck in the ignition, but I don't consider those things as making a car unreliable.

TH MOST UNSAFE BRAKING CAR I HAVE OWNED

by big GREG from BALTO | March 20, 2011

WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN IT DID NOT EVEN HAVE ,TRACTION CONTROL, STABILTRAK, ABS, AND REAR DRUM BRAKES...THIS CAR BRAKES UNSAFELY IN THE RAIN

Bad Struts/suspension

by aeager from Azusa, Ca | February 19, 2010

I bought my car in July only to have the trust and computer chip break within the first three months of purchase. I have now replaced the struts and suspension five times and am in the process of fighting Chevrolet to call my car a lemon.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Cobalt