2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Available in 8 styles:  2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS

by slalh from Canada | July 3, 2014

This is my second chevy, I swore by Chevys until I bought this car. I was too excited to have it because I thought the exterior was beautiful and nice. I bought the car in February and its final day in the shop was at the end of August. I have more repair recipets for this car then I do grocery recipets. The sunroof leaked causing my floor boards to become rotten. The control arm sticks, the electrical wiring harness melted causing the car to randomly stall and refuse to start, leaving me stranded and caling for rides. The air/heat no longer works. The problems I had with this car are endless, its too bad because I really liked the car. Im sad to see it go but Im not going to miss sinking hundreds of dollars into it for repairs.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

by J.Gibey from Hummelstown, PA | May 16, 2014

POORLY DESIGNED- I have put $8,000 dollars worth of work into this death trap since I've bought it for $8,300 in 2009.

It is what you make it.

by Cobalt was my 1st from TX | April 7, 2014

This car was great. I had it from 2009 till 2014. I put about 110,000 miles on it. It took me on many 7.5 hour trips back and forth and was durable for the majority of the time. PROS: exterior is sporty for a cheap car, gas lasts a while, good gas mileage (As long as you know how to drive it. Of course if you put the pedal to the metal 24/7 then you're going to get worse gas mileage), great high school car, good space in the front seat and fair for the back, big trunk size, easy to use CONS: cheap looking interior, falls apart by the small pieces but the machine and engine stayed good, small gas tank, uncomfortable back seats, engine was on recall, sticky key transmission Overall, this was a good car for my lifestyle. It supported me through thousands of miles and I was very satisfied by its performance. FYI: I drove the car the entire time it had been on recall. The ignition is a problem only if you are the type to have huge heavy keychains that hang low. It catches your knees and turns the car off. However, I fixed that problem by shifting the car to neutral and starting it back up. Easy fix. Now that it is repaired, it's running like a champ

2006 Cobalt Ls with plenty of problems.

by d97 from Miami | January 19, 2014

Where should I begin. The Cobalt has horrible traction control. The car started changing gears hard and I went to the dealership and they said the traction control sensor was bad on it. That cost me $400. The car starts great when it wants to. I bought the car a year ago with 80,000 miles I got the car because I liked how it looked.

You get what you pay for

by Andrew from Philadelphia, PA | November 5, 2013

So I have been driving my Cobalt for about 2 years now and here's what I have to say: This vehicle has an excellent sporty look to it, but it lacks the performance. Being only a 4 speed and 4 cylinder, you shouldn't really expect any type of thrill when you are putting the pedal to the metal. That last sentence was obviously just an expression because the pedal is plastic and mounted from the top. This brings me onto my next point, which is the build quality. Basically everything on the interior is made from cheap plastic or linen; the steering wheel just feels like a toy. It's very obvious that the engineers were solely focused on designing a very cheap car that looks appealing. That is why they basically skimped out on all the thought-to-be standards, most importantly the engine (seriously a 2.0L?), transmission, and interior. When driving this car, it does have a significant acceleration thanks to the tiny I-4 engine, but once you are out of first gear it feels like there is no torque at all. All this car is really useful for is getting from point A to point B, with some nice aesthetics. The car is also been very reliable for me so far, so I do take that into consideration.

Great Car

by Car Tester from Bolton, on | July 15, 2013

This is one of the best cars we tested in 2013. It is comfy, hand is sportscar-ish in performance. Might like a bit better interior materials though. Cargo is great, i fit a 16" bike in the trunk without folding any seats! It will have a solid finish in 2013.

Good Car

by Southern Ontario Car Reviewer from Bolton, On | May 6, 2013

This car has been the best car we have tested since January 1 and will probably will have a solid finish at the end of 2013

Good Car From Chevrolet

by blkpttrsn16 from Washington State | January 27, 2013

I bought mine in 2010 as a senior in high school. I got the cobalt ss naturally aspirated so no supercharger. They made this model only in 2006 with the label of "SS" after 2006 they named it the "Cobalt Sport". I got a steal of a deal at a dodge dealership. It only had 54,000 miles on it. At first i was in love with it and then as the years went by i loved it a little less, but its been a great car for the last 3 years. Last year was the only year i really had to put alot of money into it. I had to replace the fuel injectors. I went to chevrolet and the cost about 700 dollars. And then i had to replace the rear brakes. Another 200 dollars. ONE thing that i would of loved to see more would of been more storage. It has a tiny arm rest/storage that can hardly store anything and then a small glove box and then a kinda hidden compartment down by the drivers legs where the trunk release is located. Other than that i would give the interior a review of about 2 stars just because of the cheapness of the materials used. I am a 20 year old and have subs in my car and now all the interior rattles and just isnt up to par with othere vehicles. I am thinking of trading it in this year.

Pass on this one

by SS isnt what it was from Washingtion State | November 5, 2012

06 Cobalt SuperCharged SS Ah! 205 horses under the hood from the 2.0 supercharged engine with outside styling to match. I absolute love the look and design of this car (cough) after I removed that hideous jacked up spoiler. The power seems smooth as you go through the gears and still has enough giddy up in 5th at freeway speeds to put a small grin on your face. The suspension when driving down the road seems rough, which this car has a sports tune suspension it’s supposed to be like that, the problem is that it doesn’t hold up when you need it the most, turning. The suspension seems very lose and with a lot of roll (top heavy). The interior is lacking. Hard plastic a lot of Hard plastic. The stereo and Recaro seats are the defiantly finer items in the car. Leg space seems reasonable for a coupe and a large boot space helps, but good luck fitting items through the deck led opening space. Overall: I know the used price tag on this car makes it hard to pass, but after my experience I wish I would have. After a year I’m already looking to trade this car in due to numerous maintenance problems.

Pretty Good!

by Ana86 from | July 29, 2012

I am just about to trade mine in for a new car. I bought it new in '06, and have driven it over 160,000 miles. I know very little about maintaining cars, and it is still running very well. The only things I have replaced are brakes (1 time after 100,000 miles), Struts (1 time after 100,000 miles) and quite a few tires. It has great pick up and runs like a champ. But, then there is the interior. Besides the fact that it's outdated (no usb/aux port), the details chipped off pretty badly on the door and stereo. Two of my speakers have blown (probably from super loud music) and the CD player broke after 158,000 miles (which is really the reason I am replacing it) The back is really, really cramped, so I would not recommend it for more than two or three people needing to ride in it.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Cobalt