The Equinox is a five-seat crossover SUV that's available with front- and all-wheel drive. It competes with compact SUVs such as the Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4 and Hyundai Tucson.
New for 2009
For 2009, the Equinox gets standard side curtain airbags with rollover protection sensors for both rows of seats.
The four-door Equinox incorporates full-length frame rails and a safety cage. Base models have 16-inch steel wheels. Higher trim levels get larger wheels and visual upgrades to the exterior. Sport models have their own unique exterior features, akin to the TrailBlazer SS, with a lowered stance, no roof rack (available as an option), a sportier front and rear, and high-polished aluminum wheels.
The Equinox is longer than any of its competitors at 188.8 inches in length. At 71.4 inches wide, it's bigger than the Escape and the Tucson, but just barely narrower than the RAV4. With a height of 69.3 inches with a roof rack, it's also the tallest of its competitors.
- 16-, 17- or 18-inch wheel options, depending on model
- Roof rails standard on all but Sport model, where they are optional
- Grille trim, mirrors, door handles and roof rails body-colored or chrome, depending on model
The split, folding rear seat slides nearly 8 inches. Combined with the flat-folding front passenger seat, the Equinox can carry extra-long cargo. As for passenger volume, the Equinox has 106 cubic feet, compared to 99 cu. ft. in the Escape, 103 in the Tucson and 108 in the RAV4.
- Standard vehicle information center with 20 features
- Standard XM Satellite Radio, six-speaker audio system and auxiliary input jack for MP3 player
- Available Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity
Under the Hood
Two engines are available, as are two automatic transmissions. Sport models have a traditional hydraulic power-steering system, but other trims have an electric power-steering setup, which Chevrolet says should improve fuel economy.
- 3.4-liter V-6 makes 185 horsepower and 210 pounds-feet of torque
- 3.6-liter V-6 makes 264 hp and 250 pounds-feet of torque
- Five- or six-speed automatic transmission
- Front- or all-wheel drive
- Maximum towing capacity of 3,500 pounds
Standard features include four-wheel-disc antilock brakes and traction control. Other standard features include:
- Electronic stability system
- Standard side curtain airbags with rollover protection sensors
- Electronic Trailer Sway Control feature monitors trailer sway and can intervene to assist drivers
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Chevrolet Equinox.