2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Available in 8 styles:  2012 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Sport Utility shown

Overall

Love my Equinox

by Silver 2LT 4 cyl. front wheel drive from Wichita, KS | September 28, 2014

I have been doing my research for several months looking at what affordable used SUVs to consider that are big enough for my two large dogs, small enough to get good fuel economy, and have the nice features I want. I was looking at the GMC Terrain very seriously but since the interior is almost identical to the Equinox, I decided that I like the more rounded exterior better on the Equinox. It is also several thousand dollar cheaper in the used market. First of all I was worried that I was really compromising by purchasing the 4 cylinder Equinox since I traded in a 3.0 liter V6 Mariner, but I have found it completely adequate. Basically if you are used to a 6 cylinder, you just have to get used to less torque and working the pedal more to rev the RPMs higher in a lower gear. I have owned my 2012 Equinox for 2 weeks now. I love the leather heated seats. The seat heaters work very quickly and feel good on a sore back. The power lumbar adjustment for the driver seat is a welcome feature. The dashboard has a nice trip computer display in the center that will digitally display your current speed if you want so you don't have to peek under the rim of the steering wheel to check speed. The 7" touchscreen radio controls are well laid out and simple to use. I am not very impressed with the sound of the XM radio reception. It doesn't sound digital and I find that plugging in my phone with the ipod port under the armrest is more enjoyable for me. The digital sound is much better, and the songs are displayed on the screen with controls to change songs or genre, artist, channel, etc. It works just as well using iRadio. The remote start is a nice feature and I really like the laser cut flip key fob. The rear backup camera really needs a grid on the screen to show you where the vehicle path is headed. Objects also look much further away than they really are. LED daytime running lights would be a nice addition to the nicer models but the projector beam fog lights look great. There is lots of bag seat space with comfortable seats that I believe will be perfect for 4 adults on a road trip. There might not be quite as much cargo space as a CRV, but the overall package of the Equinox has nicer features and better styling that doesn't look like you're moving into your first college dorm.

50/50

by Maverick from Union, Nj | August 21, 2014

Just bought a 2012 Equinox about 3 months ago. Within a month and a half already had engine problems, don't know if was the dealer's fault for not keeping the maintance but really hoping for not to happen again for a while

This Car Has Everything You Need

by Liz from Southern Illinois | June 23, 2014

I have been dreaming about owning this car and doing my research about it for about 5 years. I finally purchased it a month and it is perfect. No complaints here! It has everything a car needs with great features as well. It is a very smooth ride with a lot of room, but not too big. It's comfortable and just right.

exterior review

by mickey from massachusetts | May 21, 2014

I've had this vehicle for two years and I am very happy. However, we live in the northeast and the bottom inside of my doors are starting to show signs of rust. Rust is not covered under the warranty. I'm going to have to find a way to protect my investment.

Never again

by sat1 from NJ | March 6, 2014

I have had Chevy's all my life and after buying a 2012 Equinox, I will never buy another Chevy...Engine went south at 110000 miles..Replaced it then Transmission went after another 3000 miles...If you buy one better get extended warranties

Most Reliable car I have had

by name_here_pls from Gainesville, GA | February 4, 2014

I just bought the Equinox 3 weeks ago and I love it. I'm used to having horrible cars that stay in the shop or parked so I am still nervous about that first visit but I love it and it meets my needs to the full.

Surprisingly Nice Vehicle

by wvflyboy from Charleston, WV | January 26, 2014

The 2012 2 wheel drive vehicle gets close to the advertised milage around town. I live in Charleston, WV where there are a lot of hills and it gets about 19 mpg around town. I get about 24 on the highway. The vehicle is surprisingly quiet - much more quiet than the Nissan Rouge. Interior comfort is better than average. The blind spots are pronounced. This vehicle cries out for blind spot indicators like the Ford Fusion has. Also - the display for the backup camera is ample - but without indicator lines on the display - it's hard to judge where you are. This makes the backup camera good for avoiding running into something - but not so good for parking assistance. Overall I really like the performance, gas mileage, comfort, and styling of the vehicle.

One Month In - LOVE IT!

by EquinoxGR from Grand Rapids, MI | July 26, 2013

I purchased a 2012 Equniox (2LT) used with approximately 16k miles on it a month ago. I've put almost 2k miles on it and haven't had any issues so far and absolutely love it! The ride is smooth and quiet, and the features are great for the price (leather, heated seats, 8-way power seats). The only thing I had to get used to was the power of the 4 cylinder engine, since I had perviously driven a 6cly car. After a few weeks, I hardly noticed it. I haven't driven it in snow obviously, but it handles great in the rain. Only true complaint is that there are no air vents for people in the back seat....but that wouldn't deter me from purchasing :)

2012 Chevy Equinox

by julie from Midwest | June 3, 2013

I've put on a couple thousand miles so far and am happy with my purchase. Performance is good with the V6 engine. The features of the LT suit my needs, love the bluetooth feature..

Extremely solid, very impressive. Excellent value.

by Jon, the value concious buyer from Dallas, TX | May 6, 2013

I have owned my 2012 Equinox 2LT for one year and love it. It replaced a Nissan Murano SUV. I chose the 4 cylinder engine for fuel economy, V6 is optional for max power. The 4 cylinder is peppy and powers the car fine, but adding a turbo charger would be best (hence, the 4 stars for performance) and GM is doing this to other cars and will likely come to the Equinox too. I directly compared this car to the Honda CRV and the Nissan Rogue, test driving all three back to back on the same, windy day. I did not compare to any others due to either undesirable styling, configuration, or poor resale value. This is by far the richest designed, quietest, most solid feeling, and best equipped for the money of the three. The styling is fantastic, and when anyone gets in the car they are amazed at how rich the interior is...I have the black and brownstone leather combination. Also amazing is how much room there is in the back seat due to the sliding back seat with adjustable back rests. With the seat moved all the way back, leg room is over abundant and similar to the biggest Lexus sedan. I operate a small remodeling business and having a vehicle I can convert to carry clients in luxury for shopping trips in as well as tools and ladders to the job site on other days, is a necessity for me and this car does it all. I can set the back seat position virtually anywhere in it's travel path to suit the best need of cargo space and/or passenger room needed. One thing I can't stand about any car is rattles, this car has NOT ONE rattle anywhere, and we have very poor roads where I live so I'm very, very, pleased. The previous Nissan Murano always had 3 rattles the dealer could never fix. If I didn't need SUV versatility, I'd buy a small sporty car as I prefer tight handling and small car driveability and so, I've always thought I would have to sacrifice, but not with the Equinox, I am so pleased at how tight, solid, and precise the handling is and the firm ride makes me feel very connected to the road, compared to larger "boaty feeling" SUV's or small SUV's that feel "jumpy" and "too light" like the Honda CRV and Nissan Rogue felt. And the Honda was getting blown by the wind on my test drive...annoying. I have driven the V6 equipped Equinox as well renting one for a week on vacation and the V6 steering is configured different and makes the car feel "heavier". The 6 is also a bit quieter and eliminates a mild engine vibration you get during acceleration from the 4, but this car's 4 is much quieter than Nissan's or Honda's by far. There is also virtually no wind noise and less road noise than others, things that were particularly noticeable to me. Having grown up with a 1968 Chevelle Malibu wagon, and then a 1977 Chevrolet Malibu wagon, my parent's switched to Swedish and Japanese cars, due to the declining quality of American cars as the 77 was not as good as the 68, but now my father compares the quality of my Equinox to the quality of the 1968 Chevelle Malibu wagon, stating that was one of the best cars he ever owned. He also noted that the car was built in Canada, and coincidentally, the Equinox is as well. It pleases me to finally be able to feel comfortable to buy an American car without worries or hesitation of satisfaction, quality or reliability. Many family members chose Honda's due to their reliability, but our other car is a 5 year old Acura (made by Honda) MDX that has terrible rattles on the interior due to poor design. Not my Equinox! GM has really turned around the quality of their products after almost dying. Another factor in choosing this car was the low cost of ownership. The Equinox has a 10 year 100,000 mile tune up interval, with virtually nothing to do except oil changes and 1 transmission fluid change before 100,000 miles....so that avoids $500 to $800 or more every 30K miles. At least 10 air bags in the car and 5 star crash rating, excellent! Super comfortable seats too. One con about the car: Low visiblity, due to the thick front pillars on either side of the windshield and around the doors/windows but I had this same issue in my previous SUV. Also, rear visiblity for backing up isn't the greatest either, but the rear view camera is fantastic and eliminates that problem completely. I can see more out the back from the camera than I can from the driver's seat. I recommend test driving an Equinox or it's twin GMC Terrain (same frame and virtually identical interiors) at the very least.